A multi-purpose Cabin Ladder for a Cs20.3 . .

Pete McCrary

To drop into the cabin of a Cs20.3 from its bridge deck requires stepping over a 3" sill and a drop of almost 26" to the cabin floor. In navy parlance a "ladder" is needed. I want one with two steps (built in). That will be three risers of almost 9" each. I also want it to be easily removed from the companionway to serve as a stool and maybe even a table for a meal or board game -- either in the cabin or out on deck.

post-4915-0-78151700-1441478655_thumb.jpg And this photo doesn't show the sill that will also have to be stepped over.

I recall seeing a chair that unfolded into a small step ladder that would be very useful in anyone's kitchen. Has a multi-purpose Cabin Ladder already been invented? Sure would like to hear of any ideas other builders may have on the subject. In the meantime, I'll keep thinking of various concepts. If one comes to mind, I'll try to sketch it out and share it with the forum.

In Summer Breeze, I'm planning on a battery box built in as a bottom step, On top of that forming the second step will be a removable (Is portable a better word?) galley box. Until I lay it out, I'm not sure exactly it will all be designed. I may store my one burner butane stove in the battery box section.Separated from the battery of course. The galley box would hold cooking utensils, plates and cups, condiments, and such. My needs are small as I mostly "eat out of boxes and cans. Cooking real food is way beyond my skill level.

Here is a photo of my "take" on the step down. The second step has a table that clips to it so we have a small table on the times we are in the cabin. Got wet varnish on the cabin beams (and my little bit of hair). I'll post a pic tomorrow of he step installed. It also forms a fiddle to keep "stuff" on the ballast tank top.

Darn it I can't get a photo right side up!

post-3962-0-06533200-1441509054_thumb.jpg