drones with cameras

Randy Jones

A friend sent me a link to a self flying camera that follows you around.  https://www.youtube.com/embed/4vGcH0Bk3hg (search lily camera if the link doesn't work).  I have no connection to the product; just intrigued with the possibility of some interesting sailing videos and thought some here might need ideas of what to do when they win the lottery.   

A local real estate agent came by the marina I manage.  He asked permission to video and photo the marina and surroundings by flying a quad copter drone over the area.  The professional flying the drone was FAA approved (not sure what that entails) but I gather there are legal issues to consider and possible laws in your area.

On a personal note, I think it could yield some great results.  I should get some rates or estimates from him, it may not be as bad as we might think.

I have a couple of Camera Drones and enjoy capturing video with them. The rules for a hobbyist are pretty simple and you are not required to gain any FAA approval. However, if you intend to use them commercially, there is a complex process with the FAA to go through. Check out http://knowbeforeyoufly.org for the FAA's guide.

If you're interested in getting quality sailing video, you will need a good quality drone. The less expensive platforms won't be able to handle the wind speed.

• 2 weeks later...