Build time and complexity

Saxe Point

The fuel efficiency and reasonable cruising speeds of the Bluejacket design are really compelling in a world of climbing gas prices.

I'm on Vancouver Island in British Columbia and a have been researching boat designs and plans for a very long time. I fish a great deal but would like to travel longer distances and camp on the boat. I've looked at Tolman Skiffs and some of the Devlin, Tad Roberts, Spira and Bateau designs. I keep coming back to the Bluejacket.

I'd be grateful for the experiences and opinions of builders as to the build complexity and time commitment involved in building a Bluejacket. I'd be building to a work boat finish and the interim would be kept simple.

Many thanks for your experiences and insights.

Hello Saxe Point,

Happy to give you my feedback on my Bluejacket 25.5 build.

1. Build location- Austin, Texas.

2. Start date- April 2009

3. On site at build location 6 months each year. Remainder of year (summer and fall) at second home in Annapolis, Md.

4. Retired thus available many hours each day for boat build when in Austin.

5. So I declare that I have 3 years of time invested in the build. Current status, Topsides painted thus cabin sides and cockpit still to be painted. Wiring, plumbing engine install, etc still to go. I absolutely positively need to splash my boat by April, 2016.

6. I have no idea how many hours I have in my build, and don't want to know.

7. The core question is: Is your primary motivation to build a boat based on going boating or is satisfaction in the build process? Mine is the latter thus I plod along enjoying the build process. The answer to this question will help determine how long your build will take. I have access to boats thus I'm not denying myself the joy of boating because of my plodding nature.

8. The level of finish you desire on your boat will determine how long it takes you. A rough textured fillet over fiberglass on a bulkhead seam will be structurally sound and good enough for a work boat. Want it to be very smooth and look great after you apply gloss paint? Then you need to double or triple your time on the seam as you apply fairing compound, sand, tweak it and sand some more. Apply a guide coat and sand some more looking for any imperfections. Apply primer, sand and look for more imperfections.

9. How difficult is it to build a Bluejacket? The answer depends on the prospective builder's interests, experiences and perseverance. My greatest attribute is I like to build stuff as a hobby : houses, car restorations, cabinet work, etc. I sat behind a desk for 35 years, have zero engineering training and only boat building experience was long ago on an Optimist pram. I am self taught on fiberglassing, epoxy use, spray painting, etc. Forums such as this one were invaluable in becoming a competent boat builder.

10. Tom's Bluejacket plans are excellent and he is extremely helpful answering questions, etc.

11. Bluejacket builders Blogs will help you understand the steps in building this boat.

In summary. Others have asked me how difficult is it to build a Bluejacket. My answer suggests the questioner consider how does your wife and young children feel about you disappearing into the garage for long periods over many months if not years. Can you tolerate hours of sanding with purple fairing compound dust flying? Any sensitives to epoxy?

The mental aspects of understanding how to fit the Bluejackets parts together is easy. Bluejacket builders will be quick to help you with your questions. Are you physically able to kneel or squat down to fiberglass components in place? The most import consideration is are you willing to put the time into the build? I believe the primary reason a boat building project is not completed is because of boat builder burnout and not lack of building skill. Perseverance is the most important boat building skill.

If uncertain about your commitment to building a 20'+ boat, build a 8' boat and learn whether boat building is your cup of tea.

Hope my rambling helps.

Best wishes,

Dave

Dave gave a really detailed answer but there is no typical answer to your question as it depends so much on the individual.  There is at least one designer who will tell you that a 23 foot cruising powerboat will take you 250 hours to build.  Its closer to the truth to say that the average novice will spend that much or more time on a 15 foot open skiff.  I will say that a reasonably skilled woodworker/builder can build a Bluejacket 24 to a pretty good standard of finish in 1500 hours.  A professional shop can probably do the same boat in less than half that time.  The big difference is that the professional shop will have all the skilled workers, proper space, tools and material either on hand or readily available plus they will not spend time in the moaning chair thinking about the next step since they have done it before.

Another truth is that most will spend considerably more time on finishing a boat than in putting one together in structurally complete form.  A third truth is that just about all similar boats built in similar methods will take very similar amount of time to complete, regardless of times estimated by the provider of plans.  Building in workboat like finish, which many will prefer, will greatly shorten the time and probably lessen the cost also.  One Bluejacket 25.5 was completely finished in 10 months with the builder and a helper friend.

It took me approximately 18 months to build the prototype to a fairly high standard.  Keep in mind that, other than the general structure, the design was also being completed along with the building and quite a bit of time was spent in the moaning chair thinking out the next few moves.  There was no hurry because I was enjoying the process.  Most builders will tell you that they also enjoyed the building process regardessof the amount of time they spent on it.

Some will find that they cannot devote a continuous full time period  to the building of a boat.  That not only increases total time to finish but also the amount of time actually doing building tasks.  Its just not as efficient to break up the process in several time periods.  also another major factor is whether the building space is at the home, nearby or in some space further away.  Needing to travel to a more distant building site can be an even bigger time killer.

There is much more that can be talked about on this subject but this has rambled on long enough.

Tom

This has to be the most difficult spec to provide in a set of plans. There are so many variables to consider, reasonable estimates have to be confined to experienced builders and professionals. Time management for a novice builder is the biggest "hours to build" killer. A pro or experienced builder, will have a fairly high percentage of "productive" time, per day. Once you count up how much time it takes to setup tools, coffee breaks, making jigs and other not actually going on the boat time allowances, your productive time drops considerably. I estimate the backyard builder will do well to get 50% productive time, every day they spend on the project. A pro will score much higher. I do as Tom does, which is state what I can do it in and the level of finish it had, possibly with other experienced builders estimates tossed in. It's all but impossible to calculate other folks skill sets, tools, work space, organization skills, their ability to problem solve or adjust, after a good cry in the moaning chair usually.