Another Vardo Launch

Well today was the day.  It took nearly four months of on and off building but it happened,  I successfully launched my Vardo.  The build has been one of the most fun, challenging, and rewarding projects I have worked on.  I have always wanted a boat. After finding Jeff's site and reading the forum I decided, I too could not just own a boat but build one.  Thanks to the support of my patient and encouraging wife who helped make my Vardo a reality. A hearty thank you to Jeff and everyone on the forum.  Whether you realize it or not you helped with this build.  I am now officially hooked and considering a second build.

post-4951-0-19956100-1437017099_thumb.jpg

post-4951-0-57603400-1437017117_thumb.jpg

post-4951-0-26728300-1437017130_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks!  It is a sweet experience and I'm sure you will get to it sooner than you think.  For the next one I am torn between the Curlew and the Shad.  I'm leaning toward the Curlew due to storage considerations in my garage, but I really like the look of the Shad.  I measured before starting the Vardo build and it fits but the garage keeps shrinking in terms of overhead space and unobstructed wall space.

Thanks!  It is a sweet experience and I'm sure you will get to it sooner than you think.  For the next one I am torn between the Curlew and the Shad.  I'm leaning toward the Curlew due to storage considerations in my garage, but I really like the look of the Shad.  I measured before starting the Vardo build and it fits but the garage keeps shrinking in terms of overhead space and unobstructed wall space.

Storage space! Every silver lining has a cloud, doesn't it? I calculate that I have room for one more kayak, then I either have to add on to my house, buy a warehouse, or get rid of a boat. Get rid of a boat? Who am I kidding? 

Wait! We don't use the living room much ...

Yes!

Some creative spaces I have stashed kayaks and pirogues include:

Hanging under the eaves. Have a frame hanging out now as my shingle.

Above and below garage rafters/ceilings.

Above a bay window as a sort of valance.

Permanently on a roof rack.

On my father in law's truck's lumber rack.

Two on a slant, one above another in a space shorter than both.

Other people's houses.

Behind the woodpile/garage/hedge.

Stashed in the bushes at my favorite fishing hole.

Mostly they just pile up and my wife abides. I don't ask why, because I'm afraid she'll answer.

Storing boats temporarily with someone else is a good way to store boats permanently with someone else, though, if you're not careful.

I also forget a lot of y'all get real snow, so year round outdoor storage isn't viable.

If you get a real bad addiction to building, you could always give them away. Good way to get a paddling partner, too. I've built boats for all my nieces and nephews, and a few other relations and friends. Of course, I had to test them all out first...

That is true and it has happened with a number of non-kayak related items over the years.

Winters are pretty harsh here so outside is a no go past September (some years).  I think I am really going to have to put some effort into getting creative with the space in the garage.

Giving them is a very interesting idea and I might consider it.  Testing would certainly be the key, could not live down possible endangering someone due to poor craftsmanship.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...