Squaring and Leveling the Frames

the dude

I am building the curlew and am at the point of lashing all the joints together. In fact I lashed a few together already and, out of excitement, I forgot to check the square of the frames. I got all of the inner frames square and upright at 90 degrees. I am having trouble getting the stern and bow frames at 90 degrees. Are these two frames going to sitting at a slightly canted angle or are they supposed to at 90 degrees too?

When we were building Shad we found the end frames would be pulled out of vertical by the weight and length of the bow and stern pieces, probably because we mounted the brackets to 1X2 material. To compensate I braced each end about 1/2 way down the bow/stern frames with scrap to hold the end frames vertical till the stringers were lashed in.

Al

I too inserted braces between the stem and stern and the strongback to keep them level until the lashing was complete.

I had no problems with my frames moving, I attached them to 10 inch lengths of 2 by 4 with 3 inch deck screws.