Question on deck rigging

oldpropfan

Well, a few questions actually. Looking for recommendations on line sizes and materials for painters, perimeter lines, bungee material, and the nylon webbing. Also what size screws to anchor the webbing to the gunwales.

How stout of a mounting system is the webbing/screw combination? Reason I ask is my son and I took a rescue/recovery class this weekend and these are things we'll be practicing on most every outing to get our skills up in varying  paddling conditions so the deck lines will get alot of use.

Thanks for any help/suggestions,

Al

I use the black cord I sell or parachord for perimeter lines. You just need something to hang on to, to keep the boat from drifting away from you. This is something most people do not think of, but there is little to hang onto so perimeter lines are important.

As for bungee, again my 1/4" or 3/16" bungee on the decks. I use thin webbing, anchored to the top of gunwale with #6 stainless screws and washer INSIDE the webbing to hide the screws.  I drill a very small pilot hole, add a daub of caulking and drive in the screw.

As for how strong it is, I have never had one fail but I can't really answer that question.  If you really want to anchor a paddle firmly to the deck you should use toggles. They will really anchor a paddle firmly to the deck!

I'd stay away from paracord as a perimeter line. Nylon paracord will stretch so much when wet, that it becomes next to useless when used during a rescue. Jeff's 3/16 black poly, or 4mm-5mm prusik cord would work better.

Thank you both for the info, just what I needed. On the #6 screws, are they pan head screws with a flat washer or wood screws with the cupped washers ( I think they're called upholstery washers?). Figured toggles on the back deck would be best for holding a paddle securely, will do that and bungee on the front deck.

Al

On the #6 screws, are they pan head screws with a flat washer or wood screws with the cupped washers ( I think they're called upholstery washers?).

I don't think it matters which washer.  I used finish washers (the cupped ones) with oval head screws because I had them and they work together.