CS17 Seat Repair

ecgossett

Last year, a heavier passenger at a messabout stepped in the wrong spot when getting out of my boat. The CS17 developed a nice crack on my aft port seat. Over the winter a friend who builds boats fixed it for me by reinforcing with 1/2" plywood, and cutting crack, then having new plywood bolted in place. his easy fix did not work in the long term, and another unknown crack from same incident showed up and then the original reopened when sailing the boat.

Using a trim blade on my router and chisel I cut the entire seat to the waterway for the after hatch out. My 10 year old measured and sanded the existing frame on the seat. Then I taught the 10 year old how to loft the measurements which where taken every two inches on to a new board. We purposelessly oversized this board by half an inch.

We also added a new piece of framing, to support future passengers getting in and out in the wrong place, and wrong weight. For some reason I mostly dock my boat on the port side, so this will benefit it nicely.

Tonight I was very proud because the new seat fit with some 1/8 to 1/4" quarter inch gaps that could be filled in with epoxy. Josh very forcefully said "Daddy lets take a pencil and small piece of wood and draw the hull onto the seat like we do on other boats". After that we took used a jigsaw to take off the wood, and a hand planner and gave it an angle to fix perfectly against the hull. Perfect fit because a 10 year old thought we should go a little further.

Next he helped me spread epoxy, and get the new piece on. To be honest I did most of the epoxy work as he was scared of messing up, and a little terrified of the fumes and potential dangers even with gloves and a mask. See attached photos.

This boat has been a great long term family project to learn many different skills on. The best part was all the little friends coming over who are curious about boat building, and being able to give my son the credit for the repairs. 

post-677-0-77010200-1430450143_thumb.jpg

post-677-0-77776900-1430450147_thumb.jpg

post-677-0-80956500-1430450157_thumb.jpg

post-677-0-84403800-1430450161_thumb.jpg

post-677-0-07632900-1430450166_thumb.jpg

post-677-0-98409600-1430450662_thumb.jpg

post-677-0-55620000-1430450663_thumb.jpg

post-677-0-12835000-1430450664_thumb.jpg

Nice repair job and a lot learned by all. Question: Was the underside of the seat reinforced with fiberglass? If not, then maybe that would have prevented the crack. Something for future builders to consider for each deck space that may be stepped upon. Especially a flat deck surface. The stress (pounds/square-inch) imposed by a foot (toes or heal supporting AND accelerating an entire body) as opposed to the mostly static load of a broad fanny (supporting just a body w/o legs) is orders of magnitude greater.

Pete Mc

Building the boat he didn't get to do anywhere near this much stuff, I do let the kids paint with the Easypoxy which leads to SS hardware being painted occasionally.

The seat was not reinforced, I did add in the extra framing this time which should really do the same thing. I know a couple of people have put the framing for the seat hatch waterways all the way to the sides to do the same thing. The glass idea in the future is not bad.

Oh and on the painting, the entire cockpit was painted by the kids. For the bleaching, staining and varnishing of the coaming I insisted on doing that by myself, same thing for varnishing the thwart seat.

Here is Edwards son with my wife Jane last year at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat festival. He was a lot of fun.

That is a 1926 Harbor Launch, converted to electric and dymeled and glassed at the Gig Harbor boat shop over the winter. My kids painted (Marshall Cove Paint, made locally on Bainbridge Island) a lot of it, and Josh waterproofed and drilled the oak rub-rails.

Josh was acting as 1st mate/deck crew that day as we gave festival attendees rides all day long. He's pretty quick for tying up the boat, situating guests, and giving explanations of all the parts. The crew of the 60' 100yr old Sandman Tug out of Olympia Wa gave him a hat for remembering all the facts about the boat, and reciting them on tours to guests.

post-677-0-53478300-1430513362_thumb.jpg

This is an interesting thread.  I launched my 'Lively' CS 17 in 2007.  She was built to plans and had no fiberglass reinforcement on top or underneath the seats.  I have had no problems and have always walked on the seats and hatches. I have had a few heavier passengers walk on them also.

dale