New Core Sound 17 for sale

LennieG

Folks-

I have decided to put Peggy-O up for sale. My interest in this project was in the building of her and the challenge and stimulation of that journey. I was never sure whether I would enjoy sailing or not and after three trips have decided it is not for me. I will be making some fixes that presented themselves during initial launches in next week and planning to establish fair price and moving on to next adventure. Peggy-O has a new Honda 2.3 HP motor, new trailer, sails, all new accessories, lines, ladder, cushions, life jackets etc.

If not sold before, I will be at Cedar Key first weekend in May .

Len @ 239-273-2234

post-3404-0-52300300-1429112377_thumb.jpg

post-3404-0-21517400-1429112426_thumb.jpg

post-3404-0-58643200-1429112511_thumb.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lennie,

I certainly enjoyed meeting you and following your build. You are such a nice guy I hoped you would be around for awhile, but you have to do what you have to do. Chick, not to mention any names, is always building and selling and building and selling, but it doesn't sound like the direction you are going. I hope you find a buyer that appreciates the effort and attention to detail you put into your boat. Best wishes whatever it is I am sure you will do well. If you ever would be interested in coming for a sail you would be most welcome aboard Skorpa.

Joe

Thanks much Joe! It was also nice meeting you. I think I am making the right decision for me. It is a bit of a wierd turn in a sense but you know it's right when it's right. I would love to get immersed in the sailing in a way but I just really am not drawn to it and the ramp parking lot process, launching, retrieving, cleaning etc is not something that will pull me in for long. I need to stay away from epoxy as well as it didn't agree with my body so repairs etc moving forward are concerning. I have been searching for some woodworking schools/ camps to get immersed in and hope to pursue that as I love to build and create. If anyone knows good wooden boat options that don't involve epoxy and do well in FL I would be all over it.

I am trying to establish fair price.....not looking to get every last dollar but want to get fair price for self and a new owner.

My brother lives in Narragansett and I see him summers usually. His wife summered Bonnet shores as a kid and his girls all worked at the Willows.

You and Peggy-O provided us with a lot of entertainment. I am sorry and at the same time jealous you didn't catch the sailing disease. It's all I think about. 

On a different note, the acoustic trio I play in just added Peggy-O to our set list. I had forgotten what a great song that is and your thread reminded me.

Take Care,

Steve

WOW.  Lennie.  This is a total surprise.   Are you sure you have given sailing a chance?  In my life, I have found you have to do things at least 3 times in order to make a valid determination.  You have said you have been out 3 times but were those times sailing?  I admit sailing is a lot more complicated than motorboating for instance.  However, personally, I have found now that I have both options that I actually prefer sailing.  I have been around the water for over 70 years starting when I was about 5 years old on the Mississippi River so anything to do with being on the water is for me.

It sounds like you have made your decision so I wish you the best of luck in your future adventures.  Hope to see you at Cedar Key.  You have created a great boat and the new owner will be able to be very proud to own her.

dale

I also agree in that you haven't had enough sailing time to decide if it's for you or not. Often it's best to go out with an experienced sailor, so you can learn some tips and tricks about how things work. Launch ramp setup can be streamlined and refined to shorten the time. You should be able to launch in 10 minutes or less, once the details are sorted out. With tabernacles much less.

I hate to see you bail out. The first time I was in a sail boat was at the mess about last year. I just sat in the boat as the others did there thing my time is coming. I look forward to getting it in the water then the next adventure starts.you have been a great inspiration with all your post when I have a question a lot of times I go back and read your post before I move on. You did a great job my wife says will your boat be as pretty as his I say no. Do not leave us if you sell her

Lennie:

A bit surprised to see you selling your beautiful boat, but you are not the first to do so. I've lost track of the number of guys on this forum who have built really nice boats, only to turn right around and sell them. Some have never been heard from again and others are on their 4th, 5th or 6th boat. Some have been at it all their lives. For some, the fun and challenge of bringing these contraptions to life offers every bit as much enjoyment as building only one and using it for life. Messing about with boats takes on many forms.

But, until you do sell her, I suggest you keep using her. I can't duplicate the entire piece, but this is part of the forward in David Seidman's "The Complete Sailor".

"Years ago I read about an old man who enjoyed working his small sailboat up and down a narrow river. His skill in handling the boat impressed the writer, who one day asked him why he sailed. The old man said that he first became a sailor for the pleasure it seemed to promise, but soon found it to be work mixed with small doses of fear. He almost gave it up right at the start. But before long the problems were overcome or in some manner dealt with. From then on, he said, the true rewards of sailing.......patience, philosophy, self respect and the mastery of time, became evident. To him, these were the pleasures that becoming a sailor promised and eventually fulfilled.

Now it's your turn and I envy the start of your adventure".

Well, over the years, I've noticed two basic types of builders - some for the end result and the underway stuff and the other not so common, those that enjoy the process and the build. I know one fella that's been working on a piano quality build for many years. For him, it's the process, problem solving and getting time out of the house, away from the other half. He's only sailed a few times with friends, but his sailboat build is an ongoing exercise, in his cleverness and woodworking expertise. I'd like to see the boat done, but this might not be his goal. The workmanship is a joy to see, a real craftsman deal. For him, it might be a let down to launch or worse, to have a hard landing against a dock or sea wall, marring the dozen coats of finely applied varnish.

I like building my boat.  It is very satisfying and enjoyable.  Sailing is like food, l need it often.  It is a requirement for an enjoyable life.  I started rowing cardboard boxes with wooden spoons when I was 2 and haven't looked back except for memories.

For me, it's mostly sailing. I love the peace and solitude I have on the water. The challenging conditions are a different sort of thrill. But I love laying in the bottom of my boat (it's tiny), and hearing the water lap against the hull. For this water rat, the building process is fun, but not as much fun as being on the water.