Pete McCrary

Core Sound 20 Mk 3 -- #4 "Chessie" . .

Chessie's electric panel has been fabricated in final form and dry fitted onto Blk 3.

image.thumb.jpeg.4f48a9286fce1e28d9e68866df45e4e5.jpeg

Notice the 6 holes just under the solar panel controller.  The controller is surface mounted -- and 3 pairs of +/- wires must come from behind the electric panel and into the lower side of the controller.  Four of the wires come with the solar panel and are heavy-duty and (with insulation) are 1/4" diameter, with a +/- pair from the solar panel & a +/- pair to the battery.  The installer provides the 3rd pair to the backside of the electric panel (+ to the switch and - to the common strip).

image.thumb.jpeg.1a2b7adadea86dc62648134de8a85249.jpeg

There's easy access to the rear of the panel.  The wiring will enter/exit at the lower corners.  Their flexing (opening / closing) will be mostly a twisting motion.

image.thumb.jpeg.ceee25c6b8ab71b5f31c9d7269bdbf1a.jpeg

The switch is easily reached from the cockpit.  The panel is released for access [to its backside] by backing out the bronze OHWS near the top.

The next step is to disassemble the panel and remove the electronics so tha the wood parts may be prepared for priming and paint (probably white).  The edge piece near the companionway's frame will be finished bright.  After that, all electrical fixtures and outlets will be mounted and the whole thing wired together.

Then I'll tackle construction of "Catnip" and the reboarding ladder.

Pete, as usual, stellar work. After spending way too much time on Jazz Hands' electrical system, I am reminded of why I like my Sea Pearls flashlight and AA fueled GPS! But someday when we are hunkered down snug in our own cabins, listening to the sounds of the water slapping Okume plywood, safe with the glow of an anchor light that works, it will all be worth it. 

Happy New Year!

• Like 1

My boat work in December & January has been slowed by cold weather, tax returns, and family events, etc, etc.. But all is looking up at this point.  The "Two Paw 7" kit will arrive Monday afternoon.  I'm anxious to get started on it, but one more job on the CS20.3 must come first in order to make space in the shop for the Two Paw.  That's the coaming across "Chessie's" cabin roof and garage to which the leading edge of the Dodger will be attached.  I have all the plans, templates, and materials.  Once that's installed, "Chessie" will be moved out of the garage and transported to the canvas shop.  While the Dodger is being fabricated and installed, I'll get started on "Catnip," our name for the Two Paw 7 (I think its length is actually 6' 6").  I'll start a separate posting for its build.

Then Chessie's electrical wiring and boarding ladder will have me ready for my first scheduled spring cruise with the Shallow Water Sailors (Chesapeake's Madison Bay, May 3 to 6).  Non-members are always welcome.

Here are a couple of photos of Chessie's "Bunk Box."  It goes at the forward end of the cabin sole to support the bunk cushions that overhang the forward edges of the bunk supports.  There's easy access to it and provides a "secrete" stowage place for valuables (wallet, keys, etc).

The box with closed top.

image.thumb.jpeg.d51b1a1f3f515ec7f4c8737b31b37104.jpeg

Top removed showing stowage space.

image.thumb.jpeg.d2c26b74580d83f55f1f715490fee78e.jpeg

That's all, for now.

Today I actually started on the "Dodger" coaming.  Its shape laid out with carbon paper under the Mylar pattern on 4 mm marking ply.  Looks like I need another piece so as to have a laminated 8 mm coaming.  I'll glue on each laminate separately.  The second laminate will be placed an the aft side [of the 1st] and it should be much easier to glue on.

image.thumb.jpeg.f0b974e99651d68e389bb19ad0f4dc54.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ece418840a1e3a703a31038116bca938.jpeg

After cutting these out, I'll mark the coaming's location on the cabin roof and garage.

Just finished the coaming for Chessie's "dodger" -- here are a couple of pixs.  Tomorrow Chessie will be towed to the Potomac Canvas Co in Woodbridge, Virginia, to have her dodger installed.  I'll start a separate topic to detail the dodger design and installation.

image.thumb.jpeg.d76fe23e885d7544ec3d2d35cf7597f9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.22eed88b36e11256f5cc22721bac97f2.jpeg

Also, last week the B & B kit for a "Two Paw 7" arrived via freight.  It was a crate about 4" x 24" x 84" weighting about 100 lbs.. The driver, a very helpful young man, carried it up my 150' driveway and placed it on sawhorses in my garage.  I insisted that he accept my $20 expression of gratitude.  At the curb I had a small hand truck -- which was inadequate for the purpose.  Chessie's tender will be named "Catnip," and I'll start her build on another topic.  Catnip was Steve's name suggestion.

http://messing-about.com/forums/forum/8-b-amp-b-yachts-forum/

Yesterday checked progress on the SS framing bows and hardware.  Canvas work starts after this nor'easter ends sometime tomorrow.  The Washington area has pretty much shut down (federal government and schools) expecting wind gusts 50 to [even] 70 mph.

image.thumb.jpeg.42447c3fc178bb199f3586b3fe1d1708.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d3c63fc1acdb48084cb535dfa09a0311.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.226348b8e5400a9d1ba413bbfb8b66e9.jpeg

Nice looking stuff there. 50 - 70 MPH winds, that's just a summer thunderstorm around here, without the 20,000 lightening hits per hour, to add to the enjoyment.

Chessie now has her Dodger and is tucked snugly away in her garage just as Virginia gets ready for the last [hopefu;;y] snow on the 2nd day of spring.  Just before Dave (Potomac Canvas Co.) started cutting canvas, I stood under the dry-fitted tubing and decided that the headroom [under to tubing] wouldn't be enough for me to stand in the companionway and comfortably use a hand-held urinal.  So I asked Dave if he could cut me a "zippered" opening in the top that would give me unlimited headroom while standing on the cabin sole.  He wouldn't guarantee it to be waterproof, but we decided that it would resist all but the hardest rain.  And if the companionway hatch is closed, leaking wouldn't matter anyway.

And, after final assembly, we discovered another reason to have the opening.  It allows for deployment / stowage of the Dodger while on the water.  I suppose that will be occasionally useful, but for the most part I'll probably sail with the Dodger deployed.  I'll discover if that's the case during this summer's cruising season.

Dave originally didn't recommend that the Dodger (even in stowed position) be on the cabin roof while trailering on the highway.  But he made a "dust cover" for me anyway.  And seeing how well it's secured on the cabin roof, he thought highway travel would be OK.  In fact I hit 60 to 70 mph while trailering her home from the canvas shop without any problems.  Here are a few photos:

The planned "sky-light":

image.thumb.jpeg.fcdff9b02830d29c8fbc4ba14dc06fb9.jpeg

The next two photos show the "Boot" -- which we originally called just a "dust cover":

image.thumb.jpeg.9a26f1ebe9b5ea41d45b33b424512451.jpeg

The black item is simply a piece of pipe insulation slipped over the leading edge as "chafe" protection where the canvas and tubing rest on the dodger's coaming.

image.thumb.jpeg.cd78bbeb029719faa3cac22c10b648d7.jpeg

Entrance / exit thru the companionway hatch is slightly impeded when Dodger in stowed position..

image.thumb.jpeg.132b1e4d1e7a364c03f4d82840121cbd.jpeg

View from the starboard-side helmsman position.  I'd say the view is not significantly impeded.

image.thumb.jpeg.3668b37bc4ff2357d3989b28938f98e5.jpeg

Skylight open and rolled up.

image.thumb.jpeg.e4078246b9aed3a579b421fc5aed4d8d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.60c6a16df818c26627d7b5028e6a2026.jpeg

View from aft, starboard and port.

image.thumb.jpeg.eb782c3ab6ad2659c24a1c15533ee59d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0669cd51ffeffd30b7a249d88cdee364.jpeg

View from forward and closeup of attachment hardware.  Once folded and in the "boot" the whole thing can be removed by just lining up the retainers and pulling the pins.  Later, I'll post the weight of the whole thing.

NOTICE the wrinkles in the top.  They will be "tensioned" out when Dave sends me the "tensioning" straps which will pull the top "tight" with extra leverage much more so than the little bungee cords on the ear-flaps.  The first straps wouldn't release easily.

By-the-way:  The skylight allows one to reach all the turn-buttons while standing on the cabin sole.  Absent that feature, deployment and stowage would have to be made on shore before launch.  With the skylight open -- I can launch with the Dodger in its boot and strapped to the cabin roof for road transport.  Perhaps not deployed at all during a day-sail, or only at anchor (on an overnight cruise).

• Thanks 1

Very impressive Pete. I think you have set a high standard with some very practical ideas.

• Like 1