Core Sound 20 Mk 3 -- #4 "Chessie" . .

Pete McCrary

With lots of trimming .. Fitting .. Chaulking .. Trimming the high points .. Trimming newly discovered high points, etc, etc --- I ended up with a pretty good fit for the cockpit hatch covers. There're done now ('cept for primer coats, painting, etc).

post-4915-0-46008100-1480631471_thumb.jpeg post-4915-0-72854900-1480631494_thumb.jpeg

The tops are very flat. The deck openings -- almost. The weights close the small gaps (each < 1/32"). The bungee latch cords will hold them down flat. After a while they'll both lay flat.

post-4915-0-68618100-1480631532_thumb.jpeg post-4915-0-95420000-1480631558_thumb.jpeg

Next I'll rip the long cleats for the cockpit coamings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Road test SUCCESSFUL !!

Test objectives:

1) Measure weights (city truck scale) --

Boat & trailer = 1,340 lbs +/- 20 lbs; Tongue on hitch, trailer axle [only] on scale = 1,180 lbs +/- 20 lbs

Tongue = 160 lbs +/- 40 lbs ??

Tongue = 158.5 lbs +/- 2 lbs (digital bathroom scale)

post-4915-0-29677100-1481662543_thumb.jpeg post-4915-0-56440400-1481662728_thumb.jpeg

post-4915-0-96170200-1481662763_thumb.jpeg Configuration: No hatches but with cabin sole & spare anchor.

post-4915-0-78950500-1481662818_thumb.jpeg Level parking lot for tongue weight with BR scale.

2) Verify safe clearance of driveway entrance --

Boat with OBM on the transom would not clear without the motor in the "raised" position.

The 2" diameter steel roller welded to the bottom of the aft trailer cross-beam engaged the concrete driveway apron for a short distance (~ 24").

Failing to raise the OBM on exiting [driveway] would do little damage. However, MUCH DAMAGE would be done to the motor (if not raised) when backing into the driveway. Must attempt to devise some FAIL-SAFE MEMORY AID !!

post-4915-0-26494800-1481663105_thumb.jpeg post-4915-0-58826500-1481663138_thumb.jpeg Steel roller under aft x-beam.

post-4915-0-94951500-1481663198_thumb.jpeg post-4915-0-73828400-1481663164_thumb.jpeg

On last photo notice that OBM's skeg is about to scrape driveway surface. Next photos show motor in raised position. But in that position it is unstable and must be lowered for highway travel.

post-4915-0-39419700-1481663233_thumb.jpeg post-4915-0-00761100-1481663277_thumb.jpeg

post-4915-0-07573200-1481663313_thumb.jpeg Safely out and across the street.

3) Mark driveway for driver's guide when backing rig into the driveway and into "Chessie's" corner:

post-4915-0-21862100-1481662445_thumb.jpeg

While out-and-about we trailered "Chessie" to the paint shop to get the painter to inspect the surface for priming and get his instructions for the remaining "prep" work required. He's going to apply the 1st coat (AllGrip 545) on a January afternoon and the 2nd coat the next morning (no sanding required). I'll apply the remaining coats of paint in the spring.

The cockpit coamings, mizzen partner, cabin hatches, toe & rub rails, and anchor roller might be finished by the new year. Maiden voyage could be in late January or February in Bayboro, NC. Am I seeing some light at the end of ....

Lookin GREEAAT!

I don't like to tow with the motor on the boat for a couple of reasons. 1. Damage like you already mentioned. 2. Someone will be tempted to "swipe" it, although you could lock it on. 3. Damage backing into something, or someone running into it. Maybe in a parking lot when you stop for a meal, or gas station. 4. It puts extra stress on the transom when "bouncing" down the highway with the motor in the tilted position. I like to carry mine in my tow vehicle, stored on the correct side. I've never had the oil-in-the-cylindar problem. At home, it's stored in the "standing" position.

Don't forget to let the c/b down to rest on its support brace on the trailer, but RAiSE it to launch and retrieve! Graham has a sign on his winch stand to remind him. I liked that so well that i put a sign on mine too.

Looks like the boat is gonna be easy to launch and retrieve with this trailer.

• Like 1

I mentioned in my thread that the day after I met you at the CBMM I got my Sea Pearl rear ended on the way home. A distracted driver hit the boat and totaled my trailer and tore the bow eye right off my Sea Pearl. The stern of the boat lifted over her hood and smashed her windshield and did a lot of damage to her car. If a stitch and glue boat got hit like that it wouldn't have ended nearly as well. Say all you want about a Sea Pearl (see current issue of SCA!) but they are build pretty tough. I got a new trailer and I've added a third brake light to the motor mount with a temporary harness. I think on these trailers where you have a lot of overhang lights get a little lost. On yours maybe at the top of those guides would serve the same purpose.

2nd, I plan on putting reflective tape on my transom. They make white tape that just looks like white tape in the day but shines like crazy at night. You can get it from an auto parts store. Might also  help prevent drunken power boat guy from toasting me at night.

Finally, when I went to Harrisburg and picked up the boat two weeks later, I found that turning on the four way flashers was pretty effective at keeping people from tailgating. I ran with them on a lot and found the trailing distances were big, often 60-100 yards even in traffic. I wish I had them on that fateful day. 

Steve,...

Good idea about extra lights. Maybe [also] hang one off the end of the mast. Also, I like the 4-way flasher approach. You'd have to train yourself to turn them off when signaling turns or passing. Any [known] legal prohibition using the flashers all the time?

Reflecting tape is also a good idea -- especially on the road. The reflectors are actually tiny transparent spheres with a index of refraction that turns each one into a very efficient "corner-reflector." But it only shines back to the illumination light source. So, maybe, not so useful on the water.

One of the best things you can install on a set of trailer lights (any brake lights) is a flashing module. What this does is flicker the brake lights a few times when they're first lit. Motorcycles started this years ago and got lots of tickets for them, until the cops realized how effective an idea it was. I think all vehicles should have them, particularly the third brake light, where it'll catch your attention easier. Placing a third brake light up high, like on the mast or transom top is also a good idea.

I have a set of repeater lights on a bar that I plug into the trailer lights. Lights on the trailer, and lights clamped onto the back of the boat itself.

I also have a set of high and low lights on my little kayak trailer, which doesn't get wet.

The repeater bar came in handy when we brought home the new boat, in fact, as the trailer lights were shot. The repeater bar gets the lights right up in the faces of following traffic.

Paul, do you have a source for those flashy bits? I know what you mean, and I sure would like to install some.

Peace,

Robert

A slowdown here. Saturday as Annie was coming out to help with "Chessie," she slipped on ice and suffered a minor Collis fracture of her left radius. She's out of commission as a helper for 4 to 6 weeks. And I have extra duties as nurse, cook & chief bottle washer. But I still get a little done each day. The only major job remaining (before taking her to the paint shop for the primer coat) is to epoxy the cockpit coamings & caps inplace.

This week we are expecting a few warm days. I'll have more progress and pixs in a few days.

Oof. Still, better a break than soft tissue damage, because soft stuff just doesn't heal well, especially as we age. My wife is still not 100% from a three year old bad ankle sprain.

Is Annie casted? Above the elbow, I'd bet. Ick. At least it's not muggy summer time.

Peace to you both Pete. You continue to demonstrate your finer qualities.

Enjoy the time to hang out and nurture.

Peace,

Robert

So as to not waste time during the "too-cold-to-epoxy" weather -- I stiffened the CB catcher with a 24" two-by-six and cut a dado groove with a bottom that's level [i.e., perpendicular to the CB]. The one-by-six sagged a lot and I was worried that the 18 lb CB weight could overload it on a violent road-bump. Here are a few views:

post-4915-0-51960900-1482502366_thumb.jpeg looking aft from underneath ...

post-4915-0-47860400-1482502445_thumb.jpeg post-4915-0-93816500-1482502474_thumb.jpeg Looking aft & forward.

While Annie's recovering -- I'm occasionally called for small tasks. Like rolling hair over hot curlers. Reminds me of that ancient movie "Shampoo" with Warren Baety. My "rolling" technique is wanting, but I've proven myself as a fried egg cooker:

post-4915-0-96525300-1482502768_thumb.jpeg. That's all for now ...

My shop and garage are not heated, but with about 2 x 1500 watts of electric space heaters I can usually up the inside temp by about 15 degrees F (maximum). So, with outside in the 30ies, I can get almost 50 inside. More if I build a plastic tent over the work. The weather here has been and predicted in the 50ies over the holidays -- so I'm getting a lot done. Here are a few more pixs:

post-4915-0-85197600-1482774929_thumb.jpeg. Three-quarter inch blocking to support deck hardware.

post-4915-0-17746700-1482774965_thumb.jpeg post-4915-0-32233300-1482774993_thumb.jpeg

You can see that my breasthook is a solid 4" or so. That's so that I can attach an anchor roller with either machine or anchor bolts. The next photo will show the roller "dry-fitted."

post-4915-0-83647000-1482786972_thumb.jpeg

I think it looks a bit clutzy. But it will be easy to pull in the anchor. I mounted the rollers at a slight angle to the hull centerline so that my pull on the rode (from the starboard side of the tabernacle) will be lined up with the rollers. When trailering I'll have the anchor in its well.

Today I applied neat epoxy (with release fabric) over all bare plywood -- from Blk 3 forward and the sheer line up-and-over the cabin roof. For new builders -- if I'd known the advantages of using a release fabric I would have applied neat epoxy with release fabric on the surfaces of every piece of plywood BEFORE the start of construction, EXCEPT those surfaces that would require the application of fiberglass fabric. In those instances I would use the release fabric when laying on the glass.

My good neighbor and sailing friend helped in the process which took a good 3 hrs! I couldn't have done it alone (or even with Annie's help). BTW we learned today that she won't need surgery and the cast could be off in 3 more weeks. Then physical therapy.

I really feel like it's downhill from here on ....

This is what she looks like after pealing off the release fabric. I was so pleased I took the day off and had lunch with a friend I haven't seen for several years.

post-4915-0-39933300-1482964990_thumb.jpeg post-4915-0-79760400-1482965015_thumb.jpeg

post-4915-0-83968600-1482965038_thumb.jpeg Hatch work is presently just "dry-fitted."

Fairly warm weather predicted here for next 10 days or so. Might have it all done and ready for the paint shop to apply two coats of AwlGrip 545 primer by mid January.