Core Sound 20 Mk 3 -- #4 "Chessie" . .

Pete McCrary

Count me (and Chessie) OUT for the MASCF.  Working up, down, over, under, into, and around Chessie has caused a minisca tear and/or sprained right knee that worsened this am to the point that I can't put any weight on the knee.  The orthopedist injected cortisone for some immediate relief -- but I'll be on a walker and physical therapy for the next 4 to 6 weeks.  Hopefully may avoid surgery.  I'm determined to faithfully follow orders of the doctor and his therapist to reach full recovery -- so don't count me out for the next season.  I'll also probably have to stay home for the Messabout. :(

Pete, I’m sorry to hear of your injury and I pray your body heals without complications and you’re able to get on the water for some sailing therapy this Fall. I regret not being able to fellowship with you at the Messabout and discuss matters of your projects. Once you’re officially off the binnicle list, I will be happy to offer to crew for you anytime at your request and location. It’s no problemos for me to drive up to NoVA.

Todd

Thanks, Todd, for the kind words and offer to crew.

Progress report:  Yesterday Dr injected cortisone into the knee joint.  PT evaluation Monday.  Improvement already.

Although I'm not likely to bring Chessie, I'm hoping to come to the MessAbout by means of AmTrak (free 1st class) RT transport from Quantico, VA to ?? in NC -- car rental and stay at Bayboro House Hotel.  Hope to see you all then. 

Pete,

I don't have my plan together for the Messabout, but I will probably drive half way Thursday (maybe stop near you), leave early and drive the rest of the way Friday. I have to start back later Sunday and won't be part of any extended cruise. I might leave later and get halfway home and finish up Monday morning. I have been trying to talk my wife into going, but it's not probable. She doesn't have the water gene.

If she doesn't go I'd be happy for the company. I'll know in the next week or two.

Twice weekly Physical Therapy is working miracles -- plus daily exercises.  Just signed up for the MessAbout -- tentatively arriving Friday with Chessie, leaving Sunday am.  I also hope to bring her tender, "Catnip," a Two Paw 7 dinghy.  I"ll be making both available for inspections and tryouts for anybody interested.  Here are a few pixs:

1379610387_Chessierig.thumb.jpg.45e570c009b0331f5b300cd489550381.jpg

Raising the main mast.  Note that [when separated] "Catnip," her tender, will fit in the cockpit for road transport.

2001971659_Catnip1.thumb.jpg.c5489e1f2860c534b9a8e796aec08b9f.jpg

Catnip showing her "all-around" bumper.

Nested.thumb.jpg.2d875e587066da4b9d016efbc04f5e4f.jpg

Here she's nested.

2092750212_Catnipsfirst.thumb.jpg.e24b2f585d7fe878a16135a6c0756f5c.jpg

Ready for her "maiden" voyage on the Chester River, Maryland.

Hope to see you all at the MessAbout!  ?? keeping fingers crossed ??  

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings to all.  I've got the okay from physical therapist for attending the MessAbout.  So, Chessie and I will be at the B & B shop Friday morning and plan to leave either Sunday  or Monday am -- depending on how much interest potential buyers have in inspecting and sailing Chessie.  Yes, I've definitely decided to sell her, her tow vehicle, and tender.  The MessAbout is the first major effort to find a buyer.  I'll also be looking for a downsized daysailer -- something like the Spindrift or Amanda.  Or even a Bay River Skiff.  Something I could bunk in with a "boom tent" over me.  Hope some of those boats are available for a look-see.

There may be some followers of this build on the forum that haven't checked the B & B's "classified" on their web page.  So, I'm duplicating the FOR SALE ad here:

FOR SALE, boat & trailer -- $18,900.  This is close to but LESS THAN the cost of items (listed as included), but not including my fun in building her over 27 months (Mar 2015 -- May 2017).

"This offer is a complete "Turn-Key" package -- offering everything needed to hook-up and go sailing and cruising.  Also offered [for those who may need it] -- is her tow vehicle; a 2013 Tacoma 4D pickup w/ cedar strip cap) with just 36,000 miles (at the NADA "Clean Trade-In" value -- presently < $23,300).  Both Chessie and the pickup have been garaged except when sailing.  Owner has built 10 boats since 1963, Chessie was his 9th.  His 10th (a nesting Two Paw 7) is also available.  Owner is 86 and downsizing to a much smaller sailboat.

"Included: 2019 Honda 4hp long shaft w/ 9 amp charger; Raymarine ST1000+ Tiller Pilot; Rocna Anchor & rode; spare anchor (navy style) & rode; Dodger w/ transport cover; mooring lines; dock bumpers; bunk cushions; sail, engine & rudder covers; life jackets (a 4pac); and MORE!  Chessie & owner will be at the 2019 MessAbout."

The following photos were included in the ad:871277099_ChessieRig.thumb.jpg.07f08160e4db389fe74da1fb60271e56.jpg

Mast raising at the ramp -- showing the tow vehicle also for sale.

868258131_ChessieherDodger.JPG.1731d210d149c40307df43c2aa13f078.JPG

Chessie at her slip, Higgins Boat Yard, Saint Michaels, 2018 MASCF -- showing off her Dodger.

577336644_ReboardingLadderstowed.JPG.09d56f72e1b2c8e2b4a620ec8f32219c.JPG Chessie's Reboarding Ladder in stowed position.  Not yet properly lashed (see dangling cord).

2111103038_ReboardingLadderdeployed.JPG.18a0ab360767d74095182c1d5709e8e5.JPG Here the ladder has been deployed -- which can be easily done when in the water, neck deep.

2094589390_ReadyfortheRoad.thumb.jpg.12bcec265b0ab207d223b6d9bc6536e4.jpg

Here she's almost "road-ready."  Note that the aft hold-down strap hasn't been deployed to the starboard side.  Also note that

(1) the sails and sprit booms are stowed on the cockpit port-side seats, (2) the nesting dinghy (a Two Paw 7) fit nicely in the

cockpit, and (3) her oars stow in the cockpit coamings.

840331855_Chessietowvehicleingarage.JPG.b754e08c658acfef337ad7acf48422ef.JPG

Chessie, her trailer and tow vehicle nicely stowed in her garage when not on the water (or launch-ramp

parking lot).  The trailer has a folding tongue which allows all to fit into the 22 foot garage (door closed)

in the off season.  For that purpose the masts, anchor roller, OBM, and rudder assembly are removed

and stowed in the garage attic.

Chessie's tender is also available FOR SALE.  Here are two photos of her:

96253088_NestingTwoPaw7.thumb.jpg.461b448057c2ae77cfd1d380c4ea87f6.jpg199028281_Catnipsfirst.thumb.jpg.ac207a0845e8c7cfeca945ce1d4e2aac.jpg

Nested and launched for her maiden cruise.

1401786744_RollerTroughCBCatcher.thumb.jpg.d39b475e00f97abbc95119c59a8ce686.jpg

Notice the 13-Roller keel trough and the Center Board catcher.  The rollers match Chessie's keel profile.  The loading on each roller is only appx 100 lbs — not almost 500 lbs as when there were just 3 rollers.

Anyone interested may call or email:

Pete McCrary

8751 Weir Street

Manassas, Virginia 20110

pkmccrary@verizon.net

703-369-6100, primary

703-592-6620, cell (only used when "on-the-road."

• 3 months later...

Friends & fellow builders:

Some of you know that I’ve been trying to sell Chessie.  And to promote the sale, I’ve been drafting an “Owner’s Manual.”  However, the further I got into drafting the manual and choosing the illustrations, I kept remembering the challenge and joy of constructing her and lamenting to Annie that “I wish I didn’t have to sell [her]!”  I think Annie got tired of hearing it — so she said: “Well don’t sell it — just yet.”  That, and my confidence that I could safely sail her for another season — is my reason for taking her “off-the-market”!  I just can’t stand to part with her [just yet].  I’ll keep-on-sailing her one half-season at a time.

Hope to see some of you at the MASCF in Saint Michaels.  Maybe, at some point, we’ll be able to sail together as a fleet of CS20.3s!  I’m nine pages into the manual.  Here is the cover-page:

9817571C-A72B-4830-8FF9-D4A54C0EDD9C.jpeg.73d45af25fd6bc36336f183e262911ac.jpeg

Pete, the owner’s manual is an excellent idea!  A home built boat is a unique creation, and a document that will help another sailor will be a huge help to the uninitiated.  Do you plan to “publish “ here?  I am a huge believer on R&D  (research & duplicate) .

Jay,...

I’ll be happy to share it with forum members.  I’m up to page 10 with about maybe 15 or so to go.  It’s being drafted in WordPerfect format — which I’ll convert to a “.pdf” format.  I don’t know if our forum platform accepts anything other than photo “jpg” files.  I could always forward copies by attachment to email requests.

Pete,

if it weren’t for your detailed documentation as well as a couple other contributors on the forum I would not have so readily purchased the kit. I sincerely appreciate all your in depth notes and customized tweaks making a great design even better. I particularly like your trailer mods and can hardly wait until I’m at that stage. Stay salty!

Thank you all for the kind words.

Of course I’ve informed the few people that have shown an interest in possibly buying Chessie that she is now “off the market.”  They also have had kind words of understanding and expressed a continuing interest in Chessie.  And the whole family is happy about my decision to not [presently] sell Chessie.

I’ll keep all up to date.

• 2 months later...

Greetings Mr. McCray,

I was delighted to hear that you have decided to sail and enjoy Chessie for at least one more season. After reading the discussion leading up to your decision, I decided to re-read your entire build log over the past several evenings.  What a delightful read and a nice text for anyone building any kind of boat. Your passion for your work is inspiring and truly underscores the importance of having that kind of passion for one 's work, especially later in life  

I'm really fascinated by your "Owner's Manual" idea. 

I'm building B and B's OB20. It has been a wonderful (and semi-long term) experience for me and I look forward to the day when she slides into the water at Soldier Creek Marina on Strawberry Reservoir in North Central Utah.  She will be very unique out here.  I decided on the OB20, rather than a sailboat, because, although I'm not yet in my eighties, I'm getting up there and not as nimble as a small boat sailor should be.  Plus, I never was a very good sailor anyway. 

So, back to your Owner's Manual. Eventually, my OB20 will have another owner. In my case, probably my son. I would like to turn this vessel over to him with a complete build history including photos, architectural drawings, etc. and set a of maintenance instructions. If you don't mind others doing some R&D work (as Jay calls it), I would appreciate seeing your finished manual.

Thanks,

Carter

Hi Carter.  Love the “High Desert” of the west.  Spent the summer of my 20th year on a Shell Oil Company seismic crew working out of Riverton, Wyoming — elevation 7,000 feet.  To get there from Virginia was a 2-day bus ride to Rawlins, Wyoming, where the bus station clerk said I’d have to go the rest of the way by “stage coach” — fooling with an eastern greenhorn.  Actually it was an all-day ride in a big station wagon with 4 passengers plus the driver [baggage on the roof].  The wagon did have painted on its side “Rawlins — Riverton Stage Coach.”  Boarded with a hunting & fishing guide and his family.  All meat served (‘cept breakfast) was wild — mostly elk, some antelope.  Made enough $$ to fly home (Riverton [DC-3] — Denver [Lockheed Super Constellation] — Washington, DC).  Best summer of my life.

Sure, I’ll send you a “pdf” version of the Owner’s Manual.  It’ll be in two files.  First (within a day or so) I’ll try to attach it to an email within this forum.  That worked when I sent a draft to Jay.  If it doesn’t, we’ll try something else.

Thanks for the kind words regarding “Chessie’s” build.