Sheeve placement for Spindrift 9n and other rigging questions?

winefood

Hello All,

I am rigging a reefing mainsail to my Spindrift 9n. The top of the mast is tapered to 1 1/8" closet pole. I have  a 1 1/8" diameter by 1/4" sheeve that I would have to mount 1" from the top of the mast in order to get luff tension. Would I weaken the mast too much if I were to cut a 3/8" slot 1" from the mast to seat the sheeve? Would I be better off hanging a microblock from a line that is passed through a hole drilled into the top of the mast or through bolting a cheek block on the starboard side of the mast?

I am also considering mounting a ratcheting fiddle block in the bottom of the boat for the main sheet. What is the best way to mount a base to secure the block too?  Through bolted and glassed? Screwed into the keel and glassed?

New sail I recieved is beautifully made. There are two grommets each on both sides of the clew along the leach and the foot of the sail. What are they for?

Is that 

What is the "clew strap" for ? There is already an out haul so I am wondering what the purpose of that and how to rig the "2 turns of 1/8" line?

One of my diagrams shows an outhaul as being one of the lines connected to the mast base plate. Is that mislabeled or am I missing something? Is the downhaul for like a cunningham for the mainsail tack or do they mean downhaul for the reefing line?

Is the main halyard secured with a cam cleet mounted on the forward bulkhead or is it led back to the cam cleets next to the centerboard trunk?

Please advise and thank-you in advance. I am anxious to get my wife out sailing on her birthday!!