Summer Breeze - Core Sound 17, Mk-3

Chick Ludwig

Hmmm, I always knew you were kinda "nuts" Robert. Now I understand why. Your "magnetic" personality really shine through here.

Heck, I fall off of trikes, much more fancy derailleur type bikes.

I'm gonna try to plan a little trip as soon as it cools a bit. Probably just a few days on Lake Hartwell around where our Appalachian messabout was.

For the record, my bike looks just like the bike on the bike lane sign. Black, one speed, coaster brake, chain guard. But it has a basket.

I just fix bikes for rich guys trying to buy back a squandered life. :)

All these little hustles have kept me from having to squander mine. Whoo-hoo!

We're taking a trip next week in our new punt and old canoe, while I let glass cure. Monday is the glassening. Gotta rush this frolic now to get to old number 55!

Hurry up and get on that boat. You got a cooler to bring iced tea... :)

I really am happy your light worked out.

meester---Good idea! Guess I spelled "chipmunk" wrong. Maybe that's why he's mad at me.

Tiger---Yeah, gotta fill da cooler with good ol' southern sweet tea and GO! There's been WAY too much other stuff gettin' in the way this year!

Paul---Doggone if I know. Maybe for the sea gulls to be able to see better to land up there. They don't come on in anchor mode.

I suggest that the two whites are the equivalent of a 'masthead light', which is kind of weird since the whole thing is mast head. Standard lighting is port, stbd, stern (overtaking) each at 120 degrees and masthead. Two masthead lights if over 150 feet LOA if I remember correctly.

Drew, who knows? The only choices on this light are: A. Nav. light, which is as you describe, with the two lights on top (the "mystery lights"), and B. anchor light, which is white lights all around. The good thing about this light is that the little lights are all LED lights, so they don't draw much current.

The term masthead light refers to a 225° white light shining forward and used to show a sailboat is under power.  It is also called a steaming light.  It is often not located at the head of the mast, but 3/4 of the way up or there abouts.  Some say this practice came from the days of spliced masts as the masthead was the top of the main mast, not the topmast.  Originally all running lights on sailboats were mounted on the hull or cabin.  This combination (steaming and running) yields a display easily recognizable from a distance.  How one displays a steaming or masthead light with a masthead tricolor is beyond me.  And however it is done it will be confusing to interpret from a distance.  That a masthead tricolor would always display a 360° white light (the 2 little LEDs) will be even more confusing as a 360° white light is an anchor light and is never shown simultaneously with running lights.  This is what prompted my first question above.

Masthead tricolors first starting being used offshore as they were visible in big seas from a greater distance.  At this time they were not accepted by the Coast Guard.  Most off-shore boats that chose masthead running lights were rigged with both types of running lights and the masthead version used only off-shore.  The reasoning was that being seen was more important than being correct.

• Like 1

For us small boat types, it's a challenge to find a location for lights where they will be visible behind spars, rigging structure, sails, etc. These "masthead", but not really "masthead", are an easy way out.

I hope the C.G. type guys will let us get away with them. Also, the local yocal police-in-a-boat that run around in their boats hassling guys like us. During our Mountain messabout, one came by and gave me a hard time because I didn't have an anchor light. I didn't have one 'cause I just (I know, no excuse) hadn't gotten to that point in finishing the Breeze yet. I was in a little cove close to the shore of a little island, way off the part of the lake that boaters travel. I guess they saw my cabin lights and just came over to check-me-out. Lots of fishing boats are anchored out around the lake with lights out. I just said "yessuh" and pulled right up next to shore, turned off the reading light, and settled in to listen to Glenn Miller, Old Blue Eyes, Satchmo, and the rest of the gang, on my cassette player. Also in the background i heard the Bass boat guys blasting around at light speed from hole to hole. Ya gotta have metal (ok, I know they ain't metal no more) flakes, lots of electronic gadgets, and 200 hp (minimum) to catch them fishies.

NO----WAIT!!!!! That won't work! Where's the flake and motor???? Not to mention the cooler full of beer? All are absolutely necessary to catch the lunkers. Maybe you could catch a couple of turkles. If'n you do catch turkles, bring em to me. I collect the little hard shelled guys.

Its okay, I promise. The flake and the motor is the same thing. :) Also, there will always be a cooler, mostly eatin eggs, fruits, water.

I fish for food, mainly, so I take a few decent sized fish when we eat fish, and their corpses will also go into the cooler. Hehe.

The rest of the time I consider it my duty to fish like the rest of the doodads, so the little guys learn how to grow up to be good sized. I let the kids handle that. That's when I boat, or birdwatch, or something other than sit still.

You left out the worst part, though, Chick, because you couldn't see it. You can't catch no bass with a fly rod. :)

I will make a concerted effort to collect you some photos of turkles, to be sure. I'll go fartin around out in the slough next week while the frolic glass is hardening...

During our Mountain messabout, one came by and gave me a hard time because I didn't have an anchor light. I didn't have one 'cause I just (I know, no excuse) hadn't gotten to that point in finishing the Breeze yet.

All you need for an anchor light is a 360° white light.  It can be a lantern hung from your boom/sprit/anywhere so long as it is visible all around.  I always carried a miners lantern as a back up when I cruised my Renegade.

Dang it, Ken, why do you have to live way down on the bottom! :) I normally have success with bass on top water lures, especially sliders, but I do slow down sometimes and really fish. ;)

These are actually baby streamers, sort of like a minnow pattern, but an imitation, roughly, of our little shad. The sparkly head actually has a little lead wire under. We have lots of clear water and heavy pressure, so fishing here is all about finesse.

A strip, pause, strip, pause, sets them all aflutter. They sink really slowly on a floating line, but fairly quickly on a sink tip.

Sorry, Chick.

Peace,

Robert

You are forgiven, Robert, but now, back to the boats. The Breeze is getting the weekend off while I take care of family stuff (also known as life) with Miss Debbie. Next week is full of doctor appointments, vet appointments, and getting ready for a 4 day camping vacation over next weekend. Dang, ain't we EVER gonna get to finish the boat????