Summer Breeze - Core Sound 17, Mk-3

Chick Ludwig

Well y'all, time to get out to my good friends Mr. D.A. Sander and Miss Sandy Block. It's warmer today, like 60 degs. and above. BUT---we'll have a total of about 7 inches of rain since last night and through this afternoon!!! Good thing that God promised to never flood the whole Earth again. But, how about a LOCAL flood? We're sittin' about half way up a mountain so I guess we're safe. You've heard the expression "gulley washer"? Well, that's a description of what's happening to our road out front. At least the Breeze will float if the worst happens. Now let's see---Me, Miss Debbie, two dogs, two cats, four box turtles, a mess of aquatic turtles---that outa fill our own personal Ark.

I'll let you fine folks know what happens---Good Lord willin' and the crick don't rise too much...

My "friends" (see last post) and I manage to get half of the deck/cabin/cockpit finished including the entire footwell. Now we gotta wait for another warmer day to complete the job. No pictures cause ya can't really see anything new anyway. We'll be SO GLAD when the sanding is done and the "everything-that-ain't hull" is painted.

• 3 weeks later...

I sometimes will be in a middle of a post and am interrupted. I go ahead and post it, sometimes with a quick note that "I'll be back". Then later I'll come back to it and click on "EDIT" at the bottom right of the page.

By-the-way, it's back to being too cold for this old Cracker Boy to be out in the garage. Should be back at it next week. Hey, y'all, question....I need to get all of the sanding dust of the decks, cockpit, and cabin before painting. It'd a BIG area to wipe down with a tack-rag. I can't roll it out on the gravel driveway because it "bogs down" in the rocks. I did drag the hose into the garage to wash the "blush" off the epoxy coat so I could sand it, and had a big, wet, soggy mess in the garage for days.

Good question Pete, I never heard this one before

It's rare that I need to save a partial post, but when necessary,  I do what Steve describes.  If I think I have something significant to add to a conversation, and I don't have the time at first reading in the forum, then it is worth that absolutely minimal effort it takes to write it in note pad and post when I have finished my thoughts.  I am not quite so savvy as Steve, I use mouse drag to highlight and right click commands, but accomplish the same thing. Some of the posts I find the most useful here are the ones that obviously took a bit longer to figure out and explain than most.  Sure, doing this can take a little time.  But then, intelligent conversation is worth the investment of a little time.  Maybe this is part of why I stay involved here in my 10th year as a member of the forum.  If any topic is worth some effort discussing it is the building of boats.

edit:  This also works if you lose your internet connection while typing a reply.  Even though you can't post, you can copy and paste to NotePad to save it, and copy back to the forum when your connection is reestablished.  I have done this too.

Chick, many places around my yard are not paved and rolling little wheels, with any weight on them will just sink and get stuck. I have several pieces of various thicknesses of plywood, I use for just this purpose. They're about 6" wide and ripped the length of the sheet (8' long). I place in front of the wheels and can roll this distance before either putting more strips down or rolling it off and repositioning them. Beats the hell out of cussing.

Chick,

I'm using B & B epoxy and fixer -- and haven't noticed any "blush." What's it look like. Building 3 boats with West System and 2 with MAS -- I didn't pay much (really, any) attention to it. Paint and varnish went on ok. Have I been screwing up and not even knowing it?

When I built my cedar-strip canoe I went to great pains to vacuum and wipe all surfaces in the shop trying to remove all dust. Even spread oil soaked something or other (from True Value hardware) on the floor and swept it up. I got a nice bright varnish on the cedar strips, but it still wasn't perfect. For the next 4 boats I didn't bother to the same extent -- just dusted with a bench brush and swept the floor. I did use a tac cloth on the surfaces to be painted or varnished. Maybe the finishes weren't perfect, but (as the antique car restorers say) they all look good at 20 feet.

By the way, I have my grandfather's bench brush which he must have used in his shop around year 1900! I don't know what the bristles are, but its quality can't now be duplicated. I'm told that he was in the Clemson class of 1889 in one of their first class of EE majors. His hobby was woodworking and we still have (and use daily) some of his hand made furniture. His name was John Adger McCrary and was born in Anderson, South Carolina, and worked for the Navy's Bureau of Ships in Washington -- retiring after the war in the 1940s.

Pete. I normally don't get blush, but maybe it was damp and cold when I coated the decks. It's a waxy film that you can feel as you rub your finger on the surface. Kinda like the old dishwasher soap commercial. It should be "squeeky clean" feeling. Good story on the brush and Grandad.

I'll at least wipe it all---the WHOLE thing with a damp rag, and then go over it with a tack rag. I may do as PAR says and lay some ply down to roll it out. Then i can hose it before wiping.

Unless you have considerable control over the environment (HVAC), the wise backyard builder should assume they have some blush, even if using a non-blush formulation. All the "A" and "F" formulations (what most everyone uses) will blush to some degree and especially with higher humidity levels. This combined with dust, plain old dirt and bugs should have you wash, dry and tack everything before subsequent coats (of anything).

Pete, I'll bet I have one of those brushes here in the shop. I don't know it's age, but it's probably 50 years old. These were quite common when I was a kid. The one I had was my mother's and I'm pretty sure it's horse hair, but I know they used several animal hairs, like fox, badger, camel and racoon. In fact, they used hair from specific locations on the animal, for different uses.

That one looks just like one of the two that I have. One does have "sterilized" on it, but it also has a turned handle, which looks to have been machine cut and the bristles are about 2 1/2" longs. The one that looks like yours, could be hand carved as it's nearly symmetrical, but not quite, has a handle like yours and my other half got pissed when I drilled a 1/4" hole near the end of the handle, so I could hang it over the bench. The hair on this one is about 3 1/4" long and feels slightly softer than the other, though both look to be horse hair. I initially used the longer hair, older brush to smooth out paper on the drawing board, when these things were still in fashion, but since use it for dust and flattening out fabrics on part about to get goo'd up.