Summer Breeze - Core Sound 17, Mk-3

Chick Ludwig

That's nowhere near as bad as the text I got from a co-worker today.  He's using voice recognition on his phone and he said something like "see you tomorrow, Ken" but it was translated as something I can't repeat here.  It had something to do with a happy cat, though...  It's funny what happens when you run a South African accent through a voice interpreter programmed by Merkins :)

Surely you mean 'Murican, because a merkin is a pubic wig. ;) And, as to American being easier for a robot to understand than a guy with an, I'm guessing, Afrikaans accent, you should meet my 'Murican uncle from West Virginia. He needs subtitles. If they could find a translator...

Those Canadians can speak some crazy American, too, eh?

Well, see you tomorrow, Ken. :)

Hi all, first post here.  Names Matt, looking at the CS series boats as a first boat.  Already have the CS15 plans, but thinking of going with the CS17 mk3.  A couple questions.  Does it really sleep 2?  I am 6 ft tall, and my wife is also tall. 

Also, I live in Bremerton, WA, so first boat may end up being a day sailer with throwing a crab pot or two in the water, so maybe an open cockpit is better.  Has anyone done any camping on their open cockpit Core Sounds?  Great site and awesome builds here!  My main worry is to go too small since I'm a first time boat builder.

post-124-0-48200100-1452183329_thumb.jpg

Yes, I have done a lot of beach camping in my CS 17.  The first few times I used a popup tent in the boat.  It did not work very well but did keep me totally dry in heavy rain a couple of times.  I am only 5'8" and it works well for me by myself.  If you plan to do any sleeping in your boat especially with you wife, open or not, I would think you might need to go to the 20. I think you would really appreciate the extra room.  Remember the open boat at either length is I believe much easier and simpler to build.

I have attached a photo of the cabin configuration I ended up with.  I have decided I made it too high because I cannot sail with it up but all the room is really nice.  It is a custom built using Sunbrella material and alum struts.

• Like 1

I'm building the "Breeze" for solo cruising, but think it would be fine to sleep me and the wife if she wanted to go. 6 feet tall is no problem for sleeping. Sitting headroom may be a bit tight. For 2-3 day cruises, the 17 is enough for me. If you were to go for extended cruises, or in "big water" you may be happier with a 20. My reason for the 17 has to do with where to store (small garage), cost to build, easier to tow. i don't think that there is much difference in building the 17 or 20, nor is rigging and sailing any harder.

As always, I suggest climbing onto each boat and going along for a day sale. The fall B&B messabout is a great time for this if you can wait that long. Or maybe you can find someone close to you to go with. I'm always ready (Once the boat is finished.) to take folks out, as are most of us. Washington is kinda far for you to come to the East Coast, but there should be someone over your way.

• Like 1

Hi guys, just thought I'd stop by and say "Hi". This old country boy is too much of a wuss to brave the cold much. I did get out today and did some sanding before the temperatures started to fall too much. It's supposed to snow this afternoon. I had bought a propane "cyclone, torpedo, whatchmacallit" heater to use this winter, but it empties a bottle FAST!!! I can't afford to run the durn thing. I bought it to replace one that ran on kerosene that gave me a lot of trouble getting clogged and such. I thought this would eliminate those problems. Now I wish I had bought a kerosene one.

It's supposed to warm up again some Thursday. I'll hit the sander again then.

Chick-

Wish you would hurry up a bit. Im going to lose my bet at this rate. See my April 2015 post:

Chick-
Congrats on getting the kit! Look forward to your build and the entertaining updates I know you'll provide.
All-
Let's all start a pool as to when Chick launches. We could offer up a tool or a boat building book we no longer need to the winner of pool.....the winner is the person who names the date closest to the actual launch.
I will say March 9, 2016.

Lennie, looks like i won't make the March date. I coulda, woulda if it wasn't for Stumpy, and now the COLD weather. It's supposed to snow off-and-on all week and weekend! I'm just hoping to be done for our April messabout on Lake Hartwell. Should be well before that unless we are entering another "Little Ice Age".

And "yes" to the kit being a great way to go. ...the BEST way to go...maybe the ONLY way to go! I LOVE it. The Master and his young Padawan have realy got their "stuff" together on this one!

Chick, don't let these defeatist get you. They've accepted the forlorn loneliness of 8 - 9 months of winter, with 30 day summers and 45 day spring/fall cycles. They just can't understand why we have so much difficulty with it. It's just hard to go from 8 months of pretty much perfect weather, with a few weeks on each end of this, to remind us what's about to happen weather wise and of course, the 3 months of hell heat, we accept as the price for the remaining 9 months of splendid weather the rest of the year. Yeah, it's a comprehension thing Chick. It's cold here, low of 45 tonight, but it'll be about 77 tomorrow and I have to consider tuning up the mower, because next month "it's time" again. Yeah, it's tough on us at times, as we indignantly put on a sweatshirt, so we can pull the steaks off the BBQ in mid February, but it has to be done and only the toughest can manage it. I see you've taken a respite from our Florida burdens, but I suspect you'll man up soon enough and venture down, to test your toughness once again. We'll leave the light on for 'ya . . .

PAR. I do miss the boating and sailing in Florida. My stomping---er, sailing grounds were mostly Tampa Bay and the area between Dunedin and Crystal River. I raced stock outboards over much of the state, too. The summer heat, skeeters, roaches, and over crowded everything finally drove us out. That and Miss Debbie's dislike of the heat and flat land. She's from Ohio. North Carolina is a good compromise for us. We were able to move up next door to my parents house. They had bought what was once the DuBois Hayward house (Google him). loved growing up in St. Pete during the 50s and 60s, and miss the "old days", but I will pass on moving back now.

We're digging in for a winter storm with several inches of snow, ice, and power outages. Hmmm, maybe  the old Sunshine State doesn't sound so bad...

Steve, you people are a little bit crazy!!! If God wanted us to live where it was cold, he'd have covered us with a heavy layer of fur.

Speaking of apple, Miss Debbie just made an apple cake and apple bread from some apples we have been keeping under the house. They came from an orchard right down the road and were given to us. That's one of the benefits of living here. But then, I used to pick (steal?) oranges from the citrus trees in the neighborhood where I was a kid back in good old St. Pete.

I just walked by Summer Breeze and looked at the sander laying in the cockpit waiting for me. The Breeze was actually shivering in the cold! It's finally broken into the 40s. The storm will be coming in tonight with up to 12 inches of snow---BAH, HUMBUG-@#///***.....isn't Summer EVER going to get here???

I lived in Tavares Fl during the 50's and early 60's. I went into the USAF in 61 and spent the next 8 years in NM, Montana, SE Asia, later in Idaho. I loved the West and the DRY snow. Came back to Ga. Ala. Tampa, Md. and back to Ga. I do not miss the snow!  Nice to look at but my epoxy takes forever to cure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all...

In fitting the boat to the trailer, normally most of the boat's weight is supported along the keel. I'm a little concerned about trailer rollers under the keel where there is no solid structure like a keel batten (keelson?). Instead, we trowel in a  wide "fillet" of epoxy and cover it with a layer of bi-axial roving. I'm a bit worried that the hull could be depressed where it sits on the rollers.  I think that I'll have most of the weight on the trailer bunks. What do you other guys think???

Chick,...

The interior of these CS hulls are constructed like "honeycombs" and are very stiff in every quadrant. You certainly wouldn't have any problems if you managed one or two rollers just under (or close) to one of the bulkheads. Remember that there are four longitudinal "stiffeners" running from Blk#4 to Blk#6 and two of them extend all the way to the transom (Blk## refer to CS20.3 design). And forward of Blk#4 the bunk supports add more stiffness. And there are also two stringers that run from stem to stern (on the bottom plank).

Usually, side bunks don't carry much load -- they're mostly there to keep the boat upright on the trailer. For my PocketShip I was more concerned about the stress caused by the side bunks. Typically, trailers are delivered with 2 x 6es covered by "bunk carpet." They flex some, but still quite stiff. I threw mine off and designed flexable ones that had the shock absorbing qualities of ordinary "leaf-springs." They absorb the shock energy and dampen the rebound by the friction between the leaves. My bunks are made of pressure-treated 1 x 4s. Each bunk is made up of 2 planks held together with short Carriage Bolts. The bolt heads are slightly counter sunk on the top so as to have a top surface without protrusions. The center bolt was made tight. The bolts holes at the ends (of the top planks) were just right for the carriage bolts, but the end bolt holes (for the lower planks) were slightly elongated (longitudinally) to allow some movement between the boards. The undersides of the bolts were fastened by oversize washers and a pair of nuts (locked tightly), but not so tight as to prevent flexing between the pair of planks.

The arrangement is nearly as strong as a 2 x 4 plank, but much more flexable and naturally damped. Of course the top plank is also covered with bunk carpet. "Chessie's" trailer will have these kinds of side bunks.

Rollers on the boat's centerline work, even on taped seam builds where there may not be a keel or batten. A heavy fillet and tape serves the same role. Rollers on planking create hard points and can test faster pull out strength, though this isn't as big an issue with taped seam builds, but picture the contact point of a roller on an unsupported area of planking. It's about an 1/8" wide (maybe) by the length of the roller. If the boat "center stands" on this roller during launch or recovery, this is a very loaded situation in a very localized area. Simply put, I don't like rollers on planking with wooden boats. Along the keel, just use as many rollers as you can fit, to ease any concerns you might have. Also on bunks, I like to place them "on the flat" rather than standing on edge. This is a wider and more forgiving contact patch. Ideally, the bunks just prevent the boat from flopping over and don't hold up much weight, but I like the wider landing for the hull anyway.