Summer Breeze - Core Sound 17, Mk-3

Chick Ludwig

Today's job was installing the mizzen tabernacle. Still have to round off corners, but it's epoxied in place.

post-1823-0-76648400-1448924332_thumb.jpg

The mast will fold forward and the top end will reat on a bracket on the side of the forward tabernacle. Here is a picture from my CS-20 Mk-2 that was done like this.

post-1823-0-07039900-1448924587_thumb.jpg I'll have to unbolt the pivot bolt and slide the mast aft so it won't stick out too far in front of the boat.

Chick, she's really looking awesome. I'm plugging away, almost getting the cockpit module ready before 3-D. Sadly my Dad's health problems have taken a lot of my free time, but I know his time is limited and I'm fine with slow and steady on the boat. It's a half an hour here and an hour here and it's slowly getting done. I also am a compulsive neat freak which probably isn't the best combo for this kind of construction in terms of speed.

Anyway, seeing that first picture has me excited for sleeping under the stars. My plans right now is to put a cleat around the forward opening perimeter and a rabbet in the front of the seat so that a filler board can be placed for sleeping. When I looked at the seats at first I was thrilled with how wide they are and then realized that the seat backs takes some of their width. I think a 1/4 piece of plywood with a plastic hinge and some bracing should be easy to stow and provide filler. I got kids that will want o go with me and sleeping at least three is mandatory. 

With that mizzen tabernacle......I like the idea of that. I've said it before.....when I was younger was buying a royalex canoe and asked the salesman how much it weighed.....he said it was 62 pounds and got heavier every year. In my youth I had no idea what that crazy old man was talking about but now that I'm 54 I do. I want to make sure I can push that mast up easily for years, so I may do the same. I see your step looks like it is into the water ballast. Does it extend to the hull and did you epoxy the base?

Also, I've never had a anchor mount like that. On my Sea Pearl, it has a lousy arrangement that assure the anchor will beat the snot out of the hull when it clears the water. Did you have a chance to use that setup? How did it work? 

Thanks Steve. Sorry about your dad. I lost mine over 20 years ago and really miss him. Family comes WAY before boats. As far as time goes, I spend as much, if not more, time moving things around to have room for each operation on the boat. I'm kinda neat too. I have to drag the shop vac and hose from tool to tool. I hate piles of sawdust, grinding dust, or sanding dust all over everything. I also hate tools lying on the boat, but they gotta go some place in my little garage.

It's great to have plenty of sleeping room for the kids. The boating hobby (obsession?) is a good one to raise the kids with. It could give them lots of joy as they grow, and maybe keep them from some of the "trouble" in their teen years. And part of the fun of boat building is solving the questions of how to do things to suit your needs and desires. Part of my time in bed every night is spent "designing" for the next projects on the build.

I love tabernacles---especially if you have to raise / lower the mast while in the water with the boat rocking. It does not penetrate into the water ballast tank, but is stepped on the cockpit sole. It is well epoxied to the sole and where it goes through the thwart. The inside of the "box section" of the tabernacle is well coated with epoxy even though it is supposedly water tight. At 69 years old this month, I do everything I can to avoid lifting or juggling anything. Especially so since my little incident with "Mr.Table Saw". I don't have much strength or feeling in my left hand.

I always mount my anchor on a bowsprit on anything bigger than a little day sailor. It's convenient to stow and deploy, is out of the way, and can't bounce around "dinging up" everything it touches. Some folks object to the weight way out on the pointy end of the boat, but I really don't think that it is a concern for us cruising types. It's far enough out there that the anchor won't beat the hull; especially if you are drifting backwards as you weigh anchor.

Chick, the kids are getting big. My first mate is going to college next fall! They have been with me on so many trips. When you have some down time, check this out: https://picasaweb.google.com/107870814696788248788/SeaPearlsInMaine?authkey=Gv1sRgCO22nY7ntqfbmQE#

We were sailing out to Monhegan Island from Crow Island on Muscongus bay in Maine and I chickened out. It got rough and I needed to bring the kids back to momma. If I was solo I wouldn't have thought twice. Anyway, the yet unnamed (many contenders) 20.3 is going to be a new mother ship and I will get there next time!

Through all your hand troubles, I've kept my mouth shut. I blew off the tip of my left index finger when I was a kid and every time I play guitar I am reminded of it. But you make the best of it and move on. I'm glad you are making progress.

I know  y'all have been anxiously awaiting the latest additions to Miss Breeze. So, here are the toe rail and bow sprit / anchor-roller-mounting-place. You'll notice the chocks set in place temporarily, but "where is (are) the cleat (s)" you may ask, to which I reply "I dunno". I'll figure it all out when all of the sail controls are led down to the deck on their way back to the cockpit.

post-1823-0-39032600-1449088726_thumb.jpg  post-1823-0-83745600-1449088730_thumb.jpg

post-1823-0-84771000-1449088728_thumb.jpg  post-1823-0-88162700-1449088729_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a thought. If you have the anchor housed out on the bowsprit, do you need such a wide opening in the forard anchor bay. Perhaps one would only need a slot wide enough for the foot of the mast and also for stowing anchor rope and chain, thus reducing the size of the opening that can take green water in a swell.

Drew. The gremlins have attacked my computer again... I replied yesterday, but now it's gone. Or maybe Don took it. I dunno. Anyhoo, you're probably right about the hole not needing to be so large, but this 'ol country boy is not about to be out whenever there's a chance of the afore mentioned "green water".

Don, how DID you know? I keep a supply of unobtainium bolts for just such times as these! Hey, I like that---"anchor sprit".

"Life" has been a little hard on the Ludwig household today, but a couple of things have gotten accomplished on the boat.

I made and installed sheer clamps (For lack of a better name for them.) in the cabin between the anchor well bulkhead and aft cabin bulkhead. These kinda match the more traditional "theme" of my cabin. Their actual purpose is to give something to screw my rubrails into, In the cockpit area, there is already a "cleat" that the seats rest on that should be in the right place, and in the anchor locker forward, I'll screw from the inside out into the rubrails. The rubrails will be 1/2" wood with a SS cap.

post-1823-0-70622700-1449269489_thumb.jpg

The other thing that was finished is a shelf inside the cabin bulkhead. It is for storing things like flashlight, binoculars and such. I like to use the spindle rails from Lowe's for these shelves. I needed to get this one in now so I could temporarily run screws from the outside to hold it while the poxy cures. Then I can remove the screws, fill the holes, and epoxy coat and paint the cockpit and deck. There will be other shelves inside, but they won't need screws from the outside.

post-1823-0-63545700-1449269488_thumb.jpg

Hey, why is it that I can proof read these posts several times, but after posting them, I find "oopses" that I need to go back and edit. This usually happens 2 or 3 times with each post. Sheeesh, what a dummy!. Maybe Thrillsbe can come over and help...

Ah, Chick, English is a fluid language, and spelling and punctuation are once again going out of style. That just means you're cooler than you think. Throw in lots of bizarre acronyms and I'll think you're one of my nieces or nephews. :)

Your boat is looking nice. I'm stalled out on mine again, working on one for someone else.

And doing lots of life. Which, this year includes lots of below glue and paint application temps. And a CRAZY citrus harvest.

Tiger,ya gotta get back to your boat. Watcha building for someone else? I know what you mean when you mention your nieces or nephews. we work with kids and teens at church and I'm appalled at their inability to read, spell, or use the English language. Actually, their brains are so scrambled by the new math that I'm amazed that they can do anything.

I'm with you on the "lots of below glue and paint application temps." It's COLD in my garage!!! Sure miss picking those citrus fruits from my neighbors trees when I was growing up in good ol' St. Pete.

My current boat is ANOTHER kayak, and I have two, and two pirogues right now, so I ain't really hurrying. Plus I just built a little sailing canoe I've been trying to wear out. And there's the big canoe and the little daysailer...

I'm adapting a duck punt from ASSC (bless you HIC!) for a feller I know to go ambush waterfowl from. They call them scull boats, which confused me, because I was thinking Oxford vs.Yale, but they're meaning scull like one handed one oared sneaking around harassing birds. I'm finishing the 3"-1' model, from which I will take measurements to devise my own stitched up set of panels. Help me, I'm doing this one with goop. :) Double help me, I may even have my buddy cut them on his CNC/CAM table router deal.

It seems the drought scared my lemons and oranges into thinking they would go extinct, because they are bursting with fruit. Same with the persimmons, but they're mostly gone by now. And the pecans, too. Man, I live in paradise, now I stop to think.

My new shop is somewhere around 600 square feet of uninsulated concrete floored ice cave, so I'm getting about a one hour window with our early cold weather. My art studio (where the drawing and model magic happen) is attached to the house, but the size of a cigarette pack, so no gluing up 20' sticks in there!

I've been spending a lot of boat building time cleaning and organizing, which makes me feel a little sick. I have a compulsive need for clutter. :)

One easy way to fix the concrete pad issue is to cover the floor with 3/4" foam, then cover this with 3/4" plywood. Conversely, you can just use a plywood overlay, over roofing felt to prevent rot. Cork is another option and really nice on the feet and dropped tools too. These techniques work in the summer too.

We are fortunate enough to go from the 20s to the 110s, so dead winter and dead summer are both icky for glue and paint. The spring and fall here are otherworldly, though. And the fruit. Sorry, but nowhere else can touch our citrus or stone fruit. Or raisins. Or nuts. Or melons. Or greens. Fellas, I live on the edge of the breadbasket...

Also, one of my sons (got two) and his buddy have been lobbying to turn the shop into their own indoor skateboard park, which I'm all for, because then I can build a lean to out back with a dirt floor. My last house featured a huge covered patio area out back, with a nice strip of packed dirt where I had a boat building area overlooking the garden. Maybe again. I like dirt.

It should be noted, too, I am a dilettante and always build boats one guy can pick up, so I don't need no 600 square feet. :)

The cork floor is very interesting, though...

I'll argue our citrus is way better than yours, but we both live in a place where the weather is near perfect 9 months out of the year. On our end, we don't have the dramatic impact that some of your geological and weather conditions can offer up, but we have our share of crap to worry about.

I like wood floors, mostly because I can screw things down to it and it's insulative qualities. I've worked on cork and it's nice under foot, saving your back. 

Well, back to the project at hand. i have gotten down to that magical point when it's about time for the epoxy coats and paint on the cockpit/cabin/deck. I'll show you the final things that are done now and tell you about them with the appropriate pictures.

With the beautiful lines of the boat that the Master designed, I didn't want to leave "square" corners in the cockpit seats. I glued in little "curvey" corner blocks. Then the edge is routed to a nice radios all around.

post-1823-0-57769300-1449867896_thumb.jpg

Here is the forward tabernacle with a support (cradle?) thingy to hold the mizzen mast when in the lowered position.

post-1823-0-82561900-1449867897_thumb.jpg

The holes for the Beckson opening ports are cut out. Being an old Florida cracker-boy, I want LOTS of ventilation, so I have 4 ports. Also notice the rub rail. There will be a SS hollow-back rail screwed on top after the paint work is done.

post-1823-0-99843800-1449867898_thumb.jpg