Summer Breeze - Core Sound 17, Mk-3

Chick Ludwig

Yeah, go clear all that paint spray out of your head by huffing gas fumes! :)

While you're out, I hope you think obtuse thoughts like how you took something that floats (a tree, in this case), chopped it up into little bits, and then stuck them back together again so you could float on it...

Or, my grandpa's favorite: what kind of knife blade you think we could make from the junk at the center of the Earth?

BTW, I ended up painting my little sailing canoe thingy I'm building green, too. Mine is "mistinted" porch and floor paint, though...

Floor paint is good stuff. Cheaper, easy to use, easy to touch up scratches,...

I used enamel paint on Turtler for those reasons. Problem was that the paint reacted with the epoxy and didn't want to cure. Seems like everything I use gives me problems. Some of us are just "paint challenged".

I'm back from my little cruise. ( http://messing-about.com/forums/topic/9709-turtler-gets-a-glimpse-of-lake-glenville/ )

Next few days will be spent adding keel strip, building cockpit seat lockers, tabernacle, rudder, etc. Little jobs while waiting for Don to get home so he, David, and Terry can help me turn the Breeze back over. I'll post more later.

Meester, the quick answer is "both". In my case, its to show where I've sanded out roller and brush marks, minor lumps and hollows, and overlaps in the glass. On a plywood hull, the surface is already essentially fair. In a surface that has to be long-boarded to fair it, the guide coat reveals the high and low spots. I have to admit that I do my sanding with a D/A sander (dual-action, random orbital oscillator sander) that just follows the contours that long boarding would reveal. I learned about guide coating back when I did fiberglass and gelcoat repairs on boats for a living. It's commonly used by auto body folks. It really helps now that eye (pardon the pun) don't see as well as I used to.

Hey guys. Just a quick update. I'm doing "odd jobs" while waiting to flip the Breeze back over. The Southern Appleachian Messers will be up next Monday. Meanwhile, I'm building hatches, main tabernacle, rudder, etc.

An update on my painting of the hull.  You'll remember that I used Sherwin Williams water basedl. (Refer back to my Sept. 1 post.) I think it will be a good option for others. It is pretty thick and to spray it, you need a large tip. About a .022 has been suggested. I tried to use my regular spray gun with the standard tip---bad idea! A new tip set for my gun would be over $100, so I didn't get it. I have an old Optima gun. U-tube has a video showing drilling out a standard tip to 5/64". I forgot that I have an old gun that I did that to to spray metal flake back when I did fiberglass and gelcoat repairs for a living. I'll try that when I do my deck. Should work for the epoxy primer and water based paint. You can't thin the water based stuff more than 15% because it changes the chemistry.

Here is where to go on U-tube for the video:

This will work for other brands of spray gun too. Be sure that there is enough metal that you don't drill a bigger hole that the O.D. of the tip. I checked several spray guns and some had a big enough O.D. and some didn't. Hold the 5/64" tip up against your tip and you can "eye-ball" it to see.

Well y'all, Dummy strikes again! Not as bad as it could have been. I had a little argument with my table saw, and the saw won. Cut one finger off just above the last joint, tip of another, and badly mangled the little one. The last two got skin grafts. Don't know if I'll have a finger nail on them or not. The cut off one will be kinda short now. Ring finger. Still have plenty of the finger for the ring. No pain today. They did a nerve block, but it's worn off now. Pain pills are working fine. I won't be working on the Breeze for awhile. But the great guys from our Southern Appalachian Boat Bunch are gonna come over to flip her back on her bottom tomorrow. I'll keep in touch on your building threads.

Remember the old song with the words "I fought the law (saw), and the law (saw) won."     

Chick! Oh no! Inquiring minds want to know the exact circumstances of the fight. We all occationally "cut corners" with tools and get lucky. When your feeling up to it perhaps a diagram of what you were doing? You'll get no criticism from me no matter how "dumb" it was. There is always room for improvement when playing with your pet shark.

Thanks guys. To answer "inquiring minds". I was running a short board through the saw with the blade set at 45 degrees. The far side of the board started to lift off of the table. My reaction without thinking was to reach across with my left hand to push it back down. The board kicked back and my hand went with it. Just stupidity---well, maybe not stupid as much as a bad, non-thinking reaction. I knew better, but just automatically reacted the wrong way.

Robert, it was my "spare" hand. Yep, the body will heal. My spirit is good. I thank God that it wasn't bad as it could be. Bad things do happen to good people (Although I'm not that good.) God never promises otherwise. What He does promise is that He is with us through it all. It is Him that gives me the good spirits. Also the well wishes, concerns, and prayers from you guys!

To me the worst part is not being able to work on the boat. No way we'll make the messabout now.

Chick, so sorry bout your accident. Hope there isn't too much damage and it heals quickly. My dad got in a argument with a table saw years ago, looked painful! Come sail with us on our CS 20.3. Looks entirely like it will be completed for the Messabout.

Thanks Meester. He does, and may He bless you too.

Jay, if I can get to the messabout I'd love to sail with you. The doc says that it will be awhile until I can drive. A safety thing mostly. Besides, Miss Debbie won't hardly let me out of her sight. I do too many stupid things. She's just that way. She wanted to take a sledge hammer to the saw today....

I gave up on most power tools a while ago. Good luck trying to get my worm drive, but most of the others I don't use much. I got a lot of "cordless" stuff, and a lot of time, so it's all fine.

I did cut my thumb pretty severely with the rip side of my big ryoba saw the other day while cutting a chunk out for a cleat, though, so I'm not sure as its any safer.

And tell your wife to stay away from that saw with a sledgehammer. She needs a torch or a sawzall, or something to do some real damage! ;)