Summer Breeze - Core Sound 17, Mk-3

Chick Ludwig

Edward, I don't plan on stern eyes in the corner of the transom, but if I did, the nuts would not be accessible with the cooler. The motor will be on the other side. 

The ice box will drain into the cockpit and have a drain plug. Tune in to future episodes for further details. 

Here's an update for y'all. The motor splash well is done except for the drain and a wedge on the outside of the transom to get the angle right for Mr. Zuki. I've tried to show how the transom on the inside of the well is angled also.

post-1823-0-26529500-1435075486_thumb.jpg  post-1823-0-40806400-1435075492_thumb.jpg  post-1823-0-78357100-1435075487_thumb.jpg

And here is the latest on the ice box. All that is left to do is the insulated lid and the box drain. That will be done as "fill in" jobs as I'm working on the main part of the build. You'll see the drain for the lid draining into the cockpit. The box is all 2 inch foam with 2 3/4 inch in the top and yet-to-be-built lid. Outa do the job for my short 3 or 4 day cruises. I use a one gallon milk jug that I freeze to cool the box. That also gives me cold water to drink as it melts. Hey, works for me.

post-1823-0-77011100-1435075484_thumb.jpg  post-1823-0-87362000-1435075490_thumb.jpg

This is an overall view of the cockpit area.

post-1823-0-29919100-1435075489_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, with the weight of the motor and the filled ice box this far aft, I'll have to find ways to move some other weights forward. One thing that will help will be the anchor hanging on the bow sprit. I know that you performance guys want the weights concentrated in the center of the boat, but a cruiser's gotta do what a cruiser's gotta do.

• Like 1

Really looking great Chick. I'll be looking to do a mini version of your cooler sized to slip into the existing CS15 hatch and slide back to the stern to just keep a bit of fresh stuff.  Not ready to take a saw to it yet :-).  The frozen jug(s) a great idea. Will have to use short fat one(s).  But, back to the Amanda first till she's done (got the build tent back up and really tied down this time - I hope), and the lift mods for the CS15 to get her on the river.  Rick 

Rick, by the time I would build a cooler to fit through the hatch and made it from 2" foam, there would not be enough room left to put anything in it. If you are only going for a day, you don't need so much insulation. I" foam would still be more than most cheap small coolers. I have a plastic cooler that will fit through, but I don't think it has more than 1/2" of insulation---maybe just "dead air" space in the lid. Won't even work for a day. Junk!

Can't wait to finish "Breeze" and make a trip down to your area. Hey, you guys coming up this way this summer? For the Apple Festival?

Well, heading out to wire on my sheer strakes (Also known as "raised deck sides".)

The sheer strakes are wired on. Next I'll add the cabin top beams and temporarily wire the top on. Then I can fillet and tape the sheer strake to hull joint. Next I'll remove the top and glue in s cleat (carlin?) to attach the top to. The plan calls for this to be a fillet and tape joint, but I don't want resin dripping in my eyes glassing overhead. Besides. I like the more traditional look of the carlin. I also am not using the hanging knees that the plan calls for. This will totally open up the cabin.

At the same time, I can install the cockpit seats and seat backs. Lot's going on at the same time, folks.

post-1823-0-24042400-1435097667_thumb.jpg  post-1823-0-24972300-1435097669_thumb.jpg  post-1823-0-53159200-1435097670_thumb.jpg

I am anxious to see how you do this cabin change. I'm all about open. I think Doug's boat is different than mine in that regard. Thank you for the updates. FYI, my own boat is on hiatus right now as I'm working on another project, but I'll be back at it hard come August if everything goes well. I am looking forward to seeing the B & B team at Mystic this weekend.

Take Care,

Steve

Thanks Steve. Seems like there is a lot going on to keep us from working on our boats.  The only really noticeable thing about my cabin will be the absence of the hanging knees. I'll be using two opening ports per side and the knees would be in the way. Not to mention clumsy me banging my poor old head against them all the time.

Oh well, guess I'd better get out to the "shop" and get to work making those "carlins". Have a nice weekend at Mystic. Say "hi" to the team for me.

Grrrrrrr!!!!!! Frustrating day. First, bought some filter bags for the shop vac---wrong size---won't fit. The old filter is letting stuff come through---blowing all over the shop. Next, my compressor pops off the safety valve every time the pressure builds up. I don't think it's the safety valve's fault, but the pressure switch isn't cutting off. WHEN will I ever learn. When we moved up here, I left my good, big compressor behind in my old shop, and bought a new one at home Depot. A Husky. Under pressure from Miss Debbie, I cheaped out. It's only 2HP. Takes forever to build up pressure, and then only will run sanders for less than a minute before it doesn't have enough to run the tool. Have to wait several minutes to build back up. *#???@#*. Bad words, bad words.....

On top of that, I'm spending half of my time moving things around. Move the boat to get at tool, move it back to work at the other side, move it back, move the saw to make room to pull out the lpaner, move the planer to get at the saw again, move the.....

At least I'm thankful to HAVE power tools and at least my garage to work in. Many don't have that much. (I know that Don is gonna tell me to quit my wining.)

Now that I've blown off some steam, it's back to making those carlins.  A half hour job taking half a day. Oh well...Thanks for listening.

Dale, I dunno----I guess it's more accessible to install and seal well. And I don't like holes through the hull if I can help it. It will drain just ahead of the cockpit drain and have a plug inside the ice box. Actually, I just finished epoxying the drain tube in, so you can see it.

post-1823-0-02690400-1435350713_thumb.jpg

Now on to today's update. The fillet / tape attaching the sheer strake to the hull is feathered in  and the outboard seat support cleats are in, and the carlin to attach the cabin top is glued in.

post-1823-0-60536400-1435351058_thumb.jpg  The seat support cleat.

post-1823-0-87514500-1435351060_thumb.jpg  Screws from outside of hull temporarily holding cleat.

post-1823-0-71653300-1435351059_thumb.jpg  Cabin top carlin. You can see the wire ties still in place from the cockpit forward.

Monday I'll temporarily put some spreaders in where my cabin beams will be so I can remove the wire ties and glass the sheer strake to the hull. The beams replace the hanging knees that are specified in the plans. Hey y'all, it's ok. Alan said that I could.

Docpal, yes, but it is above the heeled waterline (mostly), If it exited the hull through the transom or hull side and the drain line broke, water would enter the hull below the heeled waterline and flood the seat locker.

Lennie, don't change it yet. Still a LONG way to go, with being gone for vacation, taking the grandson places during his summer vacation, not to mention the dreaded hull flip,fairing and painting, then all of the bits and pieces and detail work....

Whew, I'm worn out just thinkin' about it all!

Jay, yep, I'll be posting EVERYTHING about the build, including hatch. Probably gonna bore a lot of those experienced guys to tears.

Just wanted to let y'all know that we're still around. Lot's of "life" goin' on to hold up the boat building. The cockpit seats are all fitted. I gotta epoxy coat the back side (The seats---not mine.) and glue em in. I thought you might get all excited about the ice box hatch opening. It will be set back a little into the coaming / seat back. You'll just have to wait 'til later to see what I mean.

post-1823-0-06468000-1435683533_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Chick, my brain seems to remember I had an O'day Daysailer 1 years ago that had a cooler compartment in the same spot with a transom drain. It was really handy for a day sail, and I can remember sailing up to a overloaded Catalina 22 that friends of mine used to own. I'd slide up into their wind shadow so my boat was governed to the speed as theirs and I'd reach in for a cold one and flip i too them without taking my hand off the tiller. Still makes me smile. The wife used to toss me baked goods in return. I'll have to think about this mod on my CS20.3. 

Take Care,

Steve