Summer Breeze - Core Sound 17, Mk-3

Chick Ludwig

If Graham said lower the sails, I believe he meant lower them on the mast, as in release the halyard a little and take up on the down haul. Certainly there comes a point where reefing is the answer.

It also helps if you sheet out and/or bear off a little for speed right before tacking. If you tack while trying to recover from a header you are almost assured of failure.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hirilonde said:

If Graham said lower the sails, I believe he meant lower them on the mast, as in release the halyard a little and take up on the down haul.

Dave, I thought about that later and I think you're right.  Lower first, then reef as needed.  I'm certainly eager to try all this.

• 2 years later...

Hi again, its been a couple years since I posted in this original build thread but just thought that you might want to know that Summer Breeze is now an Everglades Challenge finishing boat.  She took me down to Key Largo last week and we had a great time together! 

335167164_552670480178515_4722670015110232979_n_Moment.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent job FLSailor!!  Thanks for posting your achievement. 
While you were making a significant sail adventure in the EC, Don Silsbe and I were at least enjoying a beautiful couple days in Gasparilla Sound - Charlotte Harbor (West Coast of Florida) sailing Avocet, number 6 of the CS17mk3 line.  We made it successfully back to the boat launch after delightful sails (my goals are far less lofty 😁).  It was worth my flight down from Wisconsin.

90621488-025F-436C-A034-A257C6B735E9.thumb.jpeg.40b8a51ae2ea30da42ac91ae3c826e40.jpeg

Yours is a significant accomplishment 👏; I saw your progress in some updates. Congratulations!!

And, nice setup. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PadrePoint said:

Excellent job FLSailor!!  Thanks for posting your achievement. 
While you were making a significant sail adventure in the EC, Don Silsbe and I were at least enjoying a beautiful couple days in Gasparilla Sound - Charlotte Harbor (West Coast of Florida) sailing Avocet, number 6 of the CS17mk3 line.  We made it successfully back to the boat launch after delightful sails (my goals are far less lofty 😁).  It was worth my flight down from Wisconsin.

90621488-025F-436C-A034-A257C6B735E9.thumb.jpeg.40b8a51ae2ea30da42ac91ae3c826e40.jpeg

Yours is a significant accomplishment 👏; I saw your progress in some updates. Congratulations!!

And, nice setup. 

Thanks!  I may have gone right by you on Sunday afternoon although I couldn't quite point high enough to make it through the west side of pine island sound so I wasn't that close to pelican bay where you guys were probably at.  Glad it was worth your long trip!

Here is a pic at CP1 coming into Cape Haze marina

334757761_1215319669113205_7408610085624750472_n.thumb.jpg.879df36e43c20c3d4cd0e8c29ead44d5.jpg

I’m glad you posted. It caused me to read back a bit in the thread to be reminded about this set of helpful sailing tips from Graham posted by Paul (who is currently sailing his CS17 in Florida this week 🙂… he and John Hippe drove their boats down from Wisconsin this past week.)

Paul’s post is just prior to this page. 

• Like 1