Water tank vents

ejds

I have two fresh water tanks in my Bluejacket 25.5.  From what I understand they need just as a fuel tank a vent.  Where do you put the vent outlet.  It does need to go higher than the fill opening which will be on the side deck.

don't think outside the boat is a good idea with the possibility sucking in contaminants, insects and whatever floats around in the air.

Egbert

• 2 weeks later...

Egbert,

Just saw your post.

Water tanks may need a vent only if the inlet does not allow air to vent back into the tank while filling.  This is not usually a problem, much like your car gas tank.  Usually the volume of the tank is large enough to handle the small amount of water being taken out and systems are not so well sealed that air cannot leak back in.  If a vent is wanted, I would consider making a small hole just under the fill cap and protect it from insects and stuff by covering with a small block of open cell foam.  This should take care of any issue without having to add anything to the tank.  There may be something wrong with this idea but I don't see it at the moment.

I don't think that venting during filling is a problem.  A 1/2" or 5/8" hose going into a 1 1/2" filler tube should leave enough space for air to come out..  It does look like the filler cap (stainless steel) has a pretty tight seal.  I might need a small vent during use.  That is an idea to do something at the filler cap.

Egbert