Advice for first turn over

Splinterfinger

Anyone out there willing to offer words of experience to a newbie who is looking forward to the first turn over BJ 28? I've read through the plans from Tom but would sure appreciate any lessons learned the hard way so that I might avoid a similar experience. The weather can't stay frigid forever and maybe I can be prepared for epoxy temperatures.

Hi,

There are many ways to turn over a Bluejacket boat.  Most of the time it involves a bunch of people, beer and pizza.  When we turned my 25.5 over we added the turnover frame as per Tom's plans.  I attached casters under the frame and dragged the boat outside.  We attached a tractor on one side to pull and another one on the other side the keep the boat from going over to fast.  

I figured I would have  better luck controlling a tractor than a bunch of people.  And I didn't had to get beer and pizza, just a little diesel fuel.

Here is a link to my pictures.  Not many from the turning over process.

Here are a couple videos turning a Bluejacket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re6VvJeQpKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl4tx5Luebc

Hope that this helps and good luck finding a bit of warm weather.  

Egbert

I haven't heard of anyone having problems with just friends doing the turnover.  Most find that your friends really want to be involved in this simple way and are happy to be called on.  The boat is well protected by the turnover frames and the amount to be lifted is not so great because of the tilting and sliding arrangement. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good show.  This job is always much less traumatic than the fear that comes before.  A bit of planning and preparation, plus beer and pizza will make it go smoothly. 

I might suggest a bit more spacer support on the hull sides than I see in the photo though.  Plywood fitted to the topsides is easy and works well.