Amanda Family Boat Build Washington NC 24-26 April

ricknriver

Hi, I've been organizing a 3-day Family Boat Build for April 24-26 in conjunction with the town's Marine Market on April 25th, 2015.  Graham has been demonstrating S&G building, and local builders have been displaying their B&B boats in Washington past 2 years, so this year we're trying a Boat Build using the Mandy/Amanda/Jessy series 12' skiffs.  We only have space for 4 builds and I'm ordering one, so three kit spaces left.  Building will be on the sheltered decks of the NC Estuarium on the Washington NC waterfront, and a finished Amanda will be on display in the Estuarium lobby in March & April.  Graham will bring the kits to the build site and supervise our work.  Contact Carla directly to book a kit or for more information.  Kit prices same as last year.  Also arranging space at the Saturday Marine Market for members to display their own wooden boats. Believe TSC/Raleigh may be bringing boats too.  More info as I get it.  Tks, Rick 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, For those interested, Graham's Amanda sailboat is now on display in the lobby of the NC Estuarium at the east end of the Washington NC waterfront.  The estuarium is open 10-5 Tues-Sunday.  Please remember to book a kit with Carla before March 27 if you want to join Graham and I on the 3-day build - 3 kits available.  Also please let me know if you can display your wooden boat at the Marine Market on April 25th.  Details on the Marine Market and the Family Boat Build can be found at;

http://www.washingtononthewater.com/WashMarineMarket.html

Thank you,  RickZ

• 1 month later...

Hi, There will be two Amandas being built with Graham over the Washington Marine Market weekend 24-26 April on the Estuarium's decks on the Washington waterfront.  The actual Marine Market is Saturday.  Since I've acquired the CS15 after I ordered the kit, my Amanda hull will be for sale after the weekend.  If anyone local would like to work on the build, be happy to have the help one or more days.  Lots of activities planned for the Marine Market.  Details at http://www.washingtononthewater.com/?page_id=525

• 3 weeks later...

We had a fun long weekend building two Amanda's on the decks at the Washington NC Estuarium.  Wife Mickie, ScottD and me on one, and Kip's family and friends from Greenville SC on the other.  Great help and guidance from Graham, Alan, Beth, and Eve from B&B. Had pretty good weather too.  A bit cool and a little rain but large overhangs on the Estuarium decks kept us dry. Nice group of spectators too.  Mick and I have been continuing with our first build at home with Mick doing most of the work so far.  Thought about selling her in present state since we have the CS15 now and I want to go sailing, but I think Mick's keen on finishing her if we can in a reasonable time. Think its become another "art challenge" for her :-).  Learning lots on structure, epoxy, and glassing; fairing sanding and painting challenges to come. Going to Graham's next week for more guidance. Pics coming as we move along.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Doing a bit on the Amanda as limited time permits.  Getting the seat tops filleted in, and odd boards on.  Bought a 10x20 pipe and poly shelter with screens to finish her in an keep bugs off us and bugs and leaves out of the epoxy.  Set it up Sunday and looked great, but had only a few stakes in it when a storm blew in this afternoon and a big bit of wind sheer snapped the shelter off the ground and wrapped it around the neighbor's big maple tree.  No harm to the boat though.  A few bent pipes to splice/replace and a couple of tears to fix but not bad considering.  Should be back up in a week and then getting on with the build. Lots of stakes and tie downs next time.  R

I got mine right from the factory "ShelterLogic"

13'x20' floor and 12' at the peak.  They sell 2 weights of cover.  Mine was a boxed model so came with the light weight cover.  I expect just a couple/three years out of it.  I can replace it however later with the heavy duty cover if I choose.  I am quite pleased so far using it as a building space.  With luck, sometime next month it becomes the garage to the finished boat.  Being able to quickly, easily and conveniently store a boat covered will make owning it much more pleasant.

• Like 1

Like Dave I chose the lighter one with (8) 1 3/8" poles (vs 2" ones) and expect it to last a couple of years when I tie it down properly :wacko: .  Bought more stakes today.  Only a 6' puncture from a tree limb and small tear in the screen. They included a good bit of patch material for the cover.  Was $319 with tax but with free ship from Amazon and the package included the wrap around screen. Not really no-see-um screen but should still help keep the epoxy and paint cleaner when wet & the bugs off us. Hope also to use it at the campground on our 3 mo. FL adventure next winter.  Rick    

• Like 1