Action Tiger builds a Firefly. Slowly.

Action Tiger

Oh, for sure. I'm making it for my oldest son to use in his pirogue.

I'm still working on the paddle for this firefly, too. I hesitate to say my, because I'm beginning to realize my paddling days are numbered, if not behind me... Well, I will gift it to someone, or donate it to be raffled or somesuch. Yes, after I paddle it a few times! I'm a little limited in paddling time, not dead or stupid. :) Just gotta keep the hours low.

That said, I am working on some new stretches and strength exercises to keep my back together a while longer. And no, paddling doesn't help, the twisting actually exacerbates my issue quite a bit.

Building boats for other people doesn't hurt, though...:)

Anywho, back to the kids boats, and one more coat of red. Shoot! I gave a hint!

Peace,

Robert

Before I thin the blades all the way down to the final thickness, I'm gluing on some polyester cords. The cords wrap around the tip and cover the last lamination by an inch, or so. Mostly, the cord is an attempt to protect the endgrain with a little "armor". The little grooves will be filled with some thickened epoxy before I finish the paddle.

No, it won't look terrible, because I planned to put a little flair on the ends with a brightly colored tip design of some sort. I think a blond paddle with white turkshead knots as drip guards and painted tips will look fancy.

Or, it will look terrible. :) The boat is yellow with green trim, so I'm thinking yellow tips with a thin green stripe...

Oh, this is the euro style paddle I'm making for the kids boat.

Peace,

Robert

post-4050-0-88588400-1473961042_thumb.jpeg

Shoot. I didn't mention the paint job is coming along, too. Seriously, I am getting pretty close to launching this bad boy. Probably in grandmas pool, just like so many others over the years... Hey, it's where I learned to roll.:) But, I can't roll anymore.:(

Anyway, this paint job is going to be awesome. I had my doubts, but it has turned from iffy to okay. Soon.

Very, very, soon. :)

Peace,

Robert

Here's a better view of the ends of the blades, and a decent idea of the spoon shape of the blades, such as there is...

It's down to the 220, so it's time to,put on some turkshead drip ring knots, and fill and paint the tips. The cords will be lightly filled with thickened epoxy, then shaped all nice and smooth before the paint.

Then, varnish on the blades to the knots, and oil on the shaft between the knots.

Peace,

Robert

P.S. Work in the baidarka paddle also continues, but it is hand carving, not disc sanding. :)

post-4050-0-22123500-1474149064_thumb.jpeg

post-4050-0-23959300-1474149074_thumb.jpeg

Scientifically calculated to be the optimal placement for the knots. Yes, there's one down yonder, too. This is a really thin coat of clear, to lock them in place.

They will eventually be painted, as well. I'm not sure how. Maybe white, maybe yellow to match, maybe yellow and black, maybe red, white, and blue. Maybe...:)

post-4050-0-01268600-1474220886_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

I imagine I can post whatever I want on my own thread, so I may as well finish this paddle biz, here, eh? :)

The tips have been over-filled to allow fairing into the blades, and the possible paint lines have been marked. These should look nice in yellow with DARK green trim stripes, eh? Stripes will basically follow the pencil lines and the ends will be yellow. Everything inboard will be bright.

And, progress continues on the firefly. When I unveil it, you will all understand why the paint job, at least, took so long. :)

Peace,

Robert

post-4050-0-28793900-1474389380_thumb.jpeg

Three coats yellow, sanded smooth with 220 between coats. Three more coats, then I put on the green stripes.

Then I will clear over the whole works. With 496 coats, and some wax. I'm not playing, this time. :)

Still not sure about the knots. I'm thinking white, but I'm also thing red, white, and blue. Is that too much?

Peace,

Robert

post-4050-0-26795800-1474517545_thumb.jpeg

They are pretty, but now I will snob out, just a bit. ;)

For most decorative stuff, I use cotton, mostly because a really thinned out clear will soak in well, locking the knot in place. Also because I can get really tight knots that aren't prone to slipping. Synthetic fibers is slick, you know?

I actually do a fair amount of knot work, and have cords in various sizes laying around. Well, they're in a bag. :)

My second choice would be polyester cord, and for some small stuff I prefer it. So called Venetian Blind Cord is great for coachwhipping and cockscombing and whatnot. Or any lanyard or sennit type work in smaller sizes.

I always paint my knots, though, even if just with clear, to really lock them into place.

Oh, and be extra careful with paddles. They are so easy and quick, you might just start making them like a habit. :)

Peace,

Robert

Oh, the knots are to be green, to match the stripe in the blades, and trim on the boat. I was told. Hehe.