Zipper reefing

Chick Ludwig

It is not Zipper reefing i is simply a zipper luff. If it was not for the sprit we could use a zippered luff like we use on the Sprindrift's.

I am not prepared to give up on the sprit or wishbone because they make the sail so much more controllable especially in strong downwind conditions.

This means rolling up a sail to reef in smaller boats or sail track and jiffy reef in the larger boats.

There might be other versions, but I have a zipper luff on my S11N I bought form B & B and it has a regular boom wit a vang. It really makes a nice sail shape and it's surprisingly easy to work with. I can't imagine using it with a sprit, but I had never seen this befoe and it is really clever.

Hirilonde,

" The whole sail moves down, new clew and tack points are engaged, the reef lines clean up the mess and done."

If you roll the sail around the mast you no longer have a way to attach the snotter. The sail doesn't move down or use new clew and tack points.

Designer, understood. Just want to clarify the reefing situation for Thrillsbe and others. On a boat without the third mast step, what would you do? Someone was telling me about a sleeve luff sail with a very deep pocket that would allow the sail to be lowered enough to reef.

while we are discussing reefs and rigs, I am installing the rig with track and slides.  Since I will have two reefs per sail, will i ever really be using the alternate mast step position?  I now have two lovely mast/mizzen tubes, and am considering not going with the alternate position.  Opinions?  Does anyone use the third position?  

Dnjost said

while we are discussing reefs and rigs, I am installing the rig with track and slides. Since I will have two reefs per sail, will i ever really be using the alternate mast step position? I now have two lovely mast/mizzen tubes, and am considering not going with the alternate position. Opinions? Does anyone use the third position?

There is no point in the third position with proper reefing of main and mizzen. The ability to have a low COE rig will give more drive with less heeling force and you can still adjust for balance and heave to with the mizzen in tight. Too many advantages to consider the third reefing position not even thinking about the difficulty of dropping masts and shifting one on the water in 30 knots!

Cheers

Peter HK

Chick Ludwig said

Designer, understood. Just want to clarify the reefing situation for Thrillsbe and others. On a boat without the third mast step, what would you do? Someone was telling me about a sleeve luff sail with a very deep pocket that would allow the sail to be lowered enough to reef.

I have built a boat with the Wharram style large luff pocket...a gaff rigged schooner...and it certainly works well with the sail cloth collapsing into little folds very well. You can't use it with a sprit boom though because the snotter connection gets in the way....it only works with a standard boom (and is better with a gaff rig). Any sleeve arrangement around the front of the mast can't work well with a snotter attachment.

You also can't have full length battens with such a pocket.

Overwhelmingly the best arrangement to reef with a sprit boom is with sail track.

My 2c worth

Cheers

Peter HK

• Like 1

Different solutions to different situations. we've had a good discussion here about this subject, and cleared up some misconceptions. My two cents is for the sail track and full batten sails, but  others like battenless sails rolled around the mast and the third step. As one of the famous designers and writers of things nautical used to say, "different ships, different long splices". (Do you guys know who said this?)

What a great exchange! I'm leaning towards the simple method. If I was building a CS15, I'd be prone to leading all the controls aft. Without a side deck on the BRS15, that's not possible (or weird, at very least). Besides, the "spirit" of the BRS is to keep things simple. I'm interested in knowing about 1) how & where the furled sail is parked, and 2) which sail one chooses to furl-- main or mizzen? I'm learning a lot. Thanks, guys.

I would definitely recommend leaving out the third mast hole.  I have one and have never used it except just to see if it worked and it did.  Ever since I changed from sleeve to tracks my problems reefing were solved.  When loading and unloading I just wrap the sails around the mast and pull them out.  real simple.

dale

That was how I stored the sails on my BRS15 that were laced on. Let them dry and rolled them on.  Planned to make sleeves/socks for them for protection while trailering.  Third mast step allowed use of either main or mizzen to "reef".  3rd step also good to store mizzen when rowing.  Just thoughts. R

Yes, Lennie, I just roll the sails on the masts.  That is the way I store them or if I am beach camping. I have built two mast cradles that are big enough to carry both masts with the sails wrapped.  The cradle mount into the mast holes. Then the whole thing is covered with a tarp when not sailing as you have seen.  

The sails are not reefed by wrapping them on the masts like the Sea Pearl for instance.  Only for storage.

If somebody could come up with a way to reef the sprit rigged sails by rolling on the mast like Sea Pearl it would be wonderful.  I love there reefing.  But they require a boom and boom vang.  We do not need one.

I do not have any battens so that is not a problem.  If you wanted battens they would have to be vertical and then I don't think you would be able to slab reef the way I do.

dale