Steve W

Core Sound 20 Mark III #3 "Skeena"

Steve, thanks for letting us take over your thread for a while.

Frowley, here is a picture I happened to have that shows the end of the main sprit with the second reef in. The second reef line is the white braid with red tracer.  You can see I've pulled the cringle down tight, and the cheek block is just up the way on the sprit, where it can pull the reef cringle straight down or I guess down and a little back to get max foot tension. Its cleat is just ahead of that, as close as workable, so  I can reach that easily when hove to with the main luffing, with the mizzen sheeted in tight or mostly tight and the sprit midships or nearly so.

The first reef line has the blue tracer and is also cleated in this picture, tho the cringle is not pulled tight.  Same routine, cleat closer to the end. 

vzsh5GzUeuxtw6ZJA5qSnDBrol72z2ZsnubecPUgLUZm5kU9oIWIcYgaUHsDbPjlZCcZ0WeZ-hw1fSYtd8RpaQ-mrkrmxEjcla_Zx7HHztYxXBm0u0r3NEdcOZNwmj1Bc0fYhZbQ1WpcYupK2OoOTt99T3Gqjda7lC6XnYaOYNmx2Z-HGfhN4QQ3LRJ0xsJytvtq8FVxuU4bqDi-lb0OLyJOVLdHpmijKT6l6iaLeg9M3RfoyMbn7PeeekG4RetBSGzH046njJpUQLyddTDiFuoItzrh1JgW6OSmK9qHcTzwsEPG4YZguWQq0DW8K_xRCiE5ftakSHqMSIjMbVwbr6acwp2rW1lqTfdpf2tOu3SvD3j9OU3srOUTRRt9lEP8KNAS0yc9DZWiGO95nLe5zjMpCAPAArXlC_kMZxi_P5-JOpvYPUMxUbXeGrMc6O0PM-j6gzFa4tviH7CbTpgLPnKq5Z4yqTwFEZQ0f3gtISD0ObIfFwuQpYO8k9j1rnsX9Zh29Ew9YW39UFmXDfQC8AbOASEb1cFlRLVxW9Q1M7FotICBdm4RPJt71Mf_U_7gZ2h8y5bJPV6gP2b3u2SmjlQ2Xerahgr-pguNssqFdIhZp00YQZFpF0heLb1ra5CMjT4vhl9_FFawYbQ60HCNkEB1ZLDMhJBKZ5D98F_EK_w2CbQS446EYQ=w437-h582-no

I start both reef lines in the clew hardware in some fashion, also to help get maximum foot tension 

Finally, I see in this picture I have the mizzen reefed, too, using the downhaul hook in the first reef cringle at the mast (also a white braid with red tracer).

I also need to credit one of our colleagues in Ohio who put up a nifty video on jiffy reefing a few years ago.  Got lots of good ideas there.

I'd say I let off enough slack on the snotter to let the main sprit drop about 18".  Otherwise I can't seem to get the sail reefed tight in back.  So it's ease and cleat halyard, ease snotter, set mast reefing line (which tightens halyard), set clew reefing line, set snotter. The sprit is rotated 90 degrees to the left in this picture for some reason, although that sometimes happens when sailing, too.

I ease the mizzen snotter to reef, too, but you have to be careful the sprit doesn't run too far forward and snag the main if the main is swinging.  Hence a good idea to be lying pointing slightly one side or the other of the wind, so the main is clearly one side or the other of the mizzen.  You don't need long, tho.

Heaving-to:  Right now, I'm saying I have two methods.  One is with the mizzen pulled in tight and the rudder cocked just a bit to one side.  Boat is almost dead into the wind (as just described), probably moving backward a bit.  Good for setting/reefing sails.

The other is to be reaching or beating and just head up so sails are luffing, then lock the tiller down a bit to keep the boat trying to head up a bit.  The sails will luff, the boat will continue to fore reach but lie very steadily and you can be perfectly at ease.  Good for taking a rest, finding lunch, starting the outboard, etc.  Depending on how close you are, may also be able to use this to reef or douse.

It never even occurred to me to try to heave to with the board up, and it seems the board and rudder blades provide needed balance and .  But I guess I'll have to try.  Maybe with the blades up the boat will slide and make that slick that keeps waves from breaking.

Congrats on your launch!  She slides through the water so smoothly.  Now the fun begins.  Can’t wait to see her at the Messabout.

Paul,

Thanks so much for the detailed response and photo. (Hope this is ok, Steve?) I like the placement of your cheek blocks to pull the clew back. Perhaps I need to refine my heave-to as well. Good point about loosening the mizzen snotter so much the sprit can catch on the main sheet/sprit - had that happen too (yikes).

OK, so I spent Sunday morning sailing with a bit more breeze than before. I had a friend with some weight to help and never thought I needed to reef, but I decided to practice putting a reef in the main. It went so-so. So please chime in with advice if you have any.

1. I sheeted the mizzen hard. Skeena backed herself quietly. First I raised the rudder and the centerboard like my sea pearl and a it wasn't good. It seemed much better with the centerboard down. The jury is out on having the rudder down.
  2. I released the snotter and the halyard, but the main didn't come down very well. I'm not sure why. I just went forward and put the down-haul hook up to the first grommet, which worked fine. I was able to pull the sail down that way.
  3. The only trouble was going out on the deck. I opted for not having the rigging complexity of more lines and went for the simple setup. But I was imagining what it might be in real waves. I could poke my head out the hatch. I think maybe I'll rig two additional down-hauls.
  4. I've got longer arms and I had not trouble with the aft cleats. For this weeks sail on the Chesapeake I'm going to have to be careful.
  5. I will say that the sail shape with this rig is easy to keep.
  6. It took way to long and I need to practice.

IMG_2472.thumb.PNG.9ad91147856967fd5b5dabab6d0dd069.PNG

• Like 1

Only advice is reefing, like most maneuvers, gets smoother with practice.  Seems like you're off to a good start.

• Like 1

HI Steve,

Your boat looks Gorgeous!!

I run the two main reef downhauls back to the cockpit and just leave them in place when I un-rig. Rigging then is just a matter of hooking them into the cringles as I bend on the main - it's pretty quick and I think worth it. Also, because I've got and often use our dodger, I never jump up onto the deck underway but instead poke up thru the hatch. I like it actually, because in the 17 at least, it feels pretty secure and gives me the access I need to the foredeck. I agree with Paul - both with respect to rigging and reefing. They get better over time. Practice reefing though, seems only worth it (after the initial few times) when you actually need to reef because the experience is so different with a lot of wind - than with no wind in my driveway.

I have spent a few days on the Chesapeake and I'm getting the reefing technique down. More to follow, but there was a lot of this:1305718212_Screenshot_20191001-152852_BoatingHD.thumb.jpg.0ceb84158918e07d280893a51b03ab98.jpg

So I spent a week on the Chesapeake. One part of the trip was the MASCF trip to Wye Island. Here is a video of the adventure. If you don't have patience, at least head to the 2:30 mark. Lot's of fun! What a boat. I couldn't be happier.

https://youtu.be/KOrlYOOprYw

• Like 2