Core Sound 20 Mark III #3 "Skeena"

Steve W

I don't drill, fill screw holes. I do bed the hardware and screws well though. I coat the threads in the sealant before screwing them in.

Same here.  I do make epoxy bushings for holes that will be abraded in use, such as centerboard and rudder pivots, or nesting bolt holes.  I have on occasion using the screw as a mold epoxied the hole and created an epoxy/wood mold of the thread pattern to assist in the purchase of the scews (usually machine screws).  I do this when I wish I could through bolt but can't.

Thanks everyone. I'm making slow progress in our summer time. I am trying to put a half an hour in a day, and sometimes more. Unfortunately there aren't many tasks you can get into for that short of a time. So she's all filleted, but only about half taped.

I did start making the main mast tabernacle, just because I needed a break from goop.  Things will start slowing even more with vacations and actual sailing just sort of starting in our short upstate summers. But my goal is to have it all taped and solid by fall and maybe even get the shear strakes on. If I get farther it's a win. I 'm hoping to see some Mark IIIs at the messabout and then finish her over the winter for a spring launch.  I'll have pics of my motor mount soon. It took way to much tinkering but it came out great.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update. Not much progress. Father in law is in hospice and day to day. This is the second person I've lost to cancer since I started this project. Roger is a very talented artist, woodworker and good guy. Never had a colonoscopy. You know the rest. Our family had rented a sailboat in the North Chanel for this week but we had to cancel obviously. So I snuck in a few hours here and there. I've just about got as far as my manual. Not much in the mood for experimenting but I'm going to focus. I just want to finish and go sailing. Life all the sudden just seems shorter. The best I've felt was sneaking away for two hours on my Sea Pearl last week.

• 5 weeks later...

My FIL passed. A tough time for everyone. Not much work on the boat. We rented a cottage up in the 1000 Islands just to regroup. I hauled my Sea Pearl there. It's amazing how sailing takes me to my happy place. Anyway, after a great week I got home last night and waiting in my mailbox was a big set of drawings for my CS20.3. I'd gotten to the point I'd made the rudder and assembled the hull but I was scared to move forward without critical dimensions. I studied the drawings last night and I can't wait to get back after it. Progress will still be slow as I'm behind at work and I have a daughter to gt ready for her first year of college, but after labor day I should be able to concentrate hard.

Chick, no worries.......you and Pete and all the other contributors have given me plenty over the last year. Just logging in and reading about progress has given me a lot of enjoyment. I remember talking with Jay after I picked up my kit thinking I'd launch this past Spring. I decided I'd take my time and enjoy it.

• 3 months later...

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. I'm back after it hard. A couple of questions:

1. I finished the rudder except the tiller. What did you all make the tiller from? Alan gave me a piece of 6mm plywood CNC cut to use as a pattern, and a drawing shows #60 Tiller sides. No thickness. It seems that with it's big bend maybe it should be laminated or at least match the grain to the curve.

2. On the bunk supports do we put glass on both sides or is one side good enough?

Hi Steve, I think we uses the odd scraps of tape and taped both sides of the bunk supports. Very likely overkill, but this is part of the "inverted ribbon toss" I have mentioned several times! The tiller on our boat is a modifier one we had on another boat that my Dad and I made years ago, dat mean ole Katrina for the rest of the boat!

I hope your build will be "smooth sailing" for the rest of the build!

Jay, yeah let's hope my luck is changing. I was so excited when we first were talking. I'm back at it now and its fun again after a pretty long layoff. I fiddled with the smaller stuff.....built the rudder, put all the supports on bunks, filleted the entire module, bunks supports, etc. I'm still attacking each bay and am almost done. All I have left is the bunk support area. A half hour here or there. I still have a long way to go, but soon I'll have to start thinking again! Seeing Carlita and Graham, Beth, Taylor and Alan at the MASCF was great inspiration. Carlita is a beauty.

Steve,

Just peruse this thread and see what kind of year you had, then you'll know why you're not done. Props to you for even keeping it together, man, much less building a boat, too.:)

You are inspiring as I struggle through a long build myself, especially as my setbacks are mostly excuses, not real. ;)

Just keep swimming, buddy. I haven't even been able to TOUCH my core sound for ages, though I see it gather dust daily.

Here's to a great end of the year for you, and the best one yet, next!

Peace,

Robert