Core Sound 20 Mark III #3 "Skeena"

Steve W

• 1 month later...

1540012723_2022-10-2607_43_44.thumb.jpg.619da78526d5da1800404c0ec2143166.jpg1272195323_2022-10-2607_43_12.thumb.jpg.e990de8bcb8f8f25a55b7ec3d7d707f2.jpgI am finally starting to feel better. While you were all having fun at the Messabout I was down in my basement with what I'm guessing was the flu. Here is a pic of all my stuff packed up and the boat waiting to be hitched. All is still sitting in the exact same spots. It was a tough sailing season as I didn't get sailing as often as I wanted and what would be my final sail adventure of the season I got robbed of.

I logged onto FB and saw some footage and it made it even worse.  Next year I will be retired, making this much easier, but I've learned every day is a blessing and nothing is guaranteed. But damn, I'm especially sad not to have seen Jay's new boat and talk to Graham about his Delmarva adventure. I love the pics and vids and I'm sorry I wasn't there. Tomorrow I'll be packing Skeena into the barn for hibernation. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Jay (Southern Express) made mention of moving his CB forward like the newer design. I've thought of this but I've been ignoring as it looked like major surgery. But wathching Don's work on Avocet has lead me to think I am going to do this. (Thanks Don) There are a couple of things I don't like about Skeena's sailing charactoristics:

• She has a very balanced helm. I think partly it's because I have a hard time getting the mizzen sheeted in as tight as I would like, and while I've been experimenting with ways to help that, moving the board forward should make this moot. 
  • The reefing schedule keeps the mizzen full until the main is fully reefed and then 1 reef in the mizzen gives me a balanced helm, while both reefs in both sails give me lee helm. That's not good. 
  • I've had luck creating bungy based sheet to tiller steering on my Sea Pearl, but it requires some weather helm. 
  • I'd like a way to cleat the C-board down. 

I've asked Alan to create some drawings for me. Armed with my multitool I think I can knock this out fairly quickly. I'm not sure how much further the newer designs moved the board forward. 

If / when I do this, I'll be sure to chronicle well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Don Silsbe said:

@Jknight611—This is a serious change.  If Avocet had not had so much leeward helm, there’s no way I’d be cutting into her.

CC96B9C2-02BB-48F6-949F-0DB856F5954D.jpeg

I can chime in a bit here.  I sailed with Avocet while Don (I think) was at the helm.  I was in my Sea Pearl, which certainly does not point high.  We both made a tack and pointed toward the boat launch to get back.  Avocet could not hold that line, she kept slipping away and I could see them struggling to keep her on a safe course, much less an efficient one.  I would say this change is necessary for that boat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is that thing following you?  Our Core Sound can snuggle right up to the beach, hardly get our feet wet!  As in our avatar.  
Are you delivering it to Kalos?  We are using an inflatable kayak, ok but can’t see hauling water containers in it. 

• Haha 1

@Jknight611— Two Bits comes north with me every year.  It seemed only right to have her tag along on this adventure.  I didn't use her much, but it was fun rowing her around to greet the other boaters.

I’m looking for a good excuse to build a nesting Spindrift 10.  (The need for speed requires feed.). Would you like to buy her?  I gave her a tall rig last year.  (Again, the need for speed.)

333B134D-0DF0-40DE-AC0C-0A777A8D331C.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Today I made a decision to replace my Suzuki 2.5 Long Shaft (31 Pounds) with a Suzuki 6 Long Shaft (54 Pounds, same weight as the 4HP, so 6 it is!). 23 extra pounds but I get reverse and the option to run an external 3 Gallon Gas tank. It shows up Friday and I'll make sure it tips up in the well I made for the 2.5 (I'm about 90% confident). I think the tank will sit nicely below the mizzen mast step. I'm pretty stoked for this, even though I really loved that 2.5. It works pretty good on my Spindrift 11N for fishing so I may repurpose, but who knows. 

I had a pretty good scare last fall coming into a dock way to hot due to heavy winds pushing me towards it. I couldn't get the 2.5 turned backwards fast enough and if it wasn't for the heroics of my crew, Skeena might be sporting a hole. If I was by myself, for sure. I also have plans to traverse the length of the Rideau Canal from Kingston Ontario to Ottawa this summer which is a lot of sailing in lakes, combined with a fair bit of motoring. 

I'll keep you all posted on how it works. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's an extra 23 pounds over what is on the boat now, but that is a concern I share. I have taken to loading the boat in a way that keeps weight forward as much as possible. I wasn't a fan of the mid mount Alan has made in his boat, but I can see the value in it now. I did work hard to make the engine clamp right on the stern instead of using a bracket to keep things forward. We shall see!

• Like 1

So, might a 60 pound weight (or so… like a sandbag or tube from the local farm & fleet store) placed in the bow area of Avocet as far forward as possible make a positive balance difference with a 5hp motor on the back?  Just wondering. 

I will try this in my ski boat next summer just to see if there is a trim difference.  It has a bounce at high speed. Yes, I put the gas can and battery at the transom.  Trim tabs sufficiently take care of the bounce, but adding weight IS something I intend to try. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I finally printed out the excellent drawings Alan and Graham provided for the centerboard trunk modification. l cleared most of the stuff I had in the cabin (yikes) and mentally went through the task of moving the centerboard forward. In software development we size projects by t-shirts, with small easy and XXL long term. This feels like a large at best. I am going to make it a bit larger by making a new centerboard. Tonight it's multi-tool time. You can see I faced the front edge of the longitudinal bulkheads, so that has to go.  I'll post pics of progress tomorrow. 

2023-04-0307_03_25.thumb.jpg.84a4c40cf94ebbd86479f10630f1f9fb.jpg

• Like 1