Core Sound 20 Mark III #3 "Skeena"

Steve W

• 5 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

There is some talk on the Everglades challenge 2020 page about boarding ladders.

One of the things I learned years ago in a very scary incident was that even a very fit person has trouble re-boarding a boat with high free-board when wet and fatigued. I added a ladder I saw at the messabout that I'm not sure who's boat it was, but I couldn't be happier with it.

Here it is:

I had a chance to swim a few times and it was easy to hold the top of the transom and deploy the ladder with one hand. As the ladder locks out at a nice angle I could easily use my legs to climb up. In any case, a good ladder is essential. I had a god-awful rope ladder on my Sea Pearl and it would swing under the boat and I usually just hoisted myself up, but I'm not sure in an emergency I could. Stay safe everybody.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve. Very timely. I think it may be Amos that has a similar boarding ladder.

I hope it does not take an unfortunate incident to wise me up. My webbing works OK but if for some reason I lost a fraction of my strength I might not be able to get back in my boat.

I should take the might out of that sentence.

Joe, I didn't want to put this in the EC 2020 thread, but it is timely. I think if you sail with someone else you are generally at a major advantage.
But........a situation years ago was swimming away from a Catalina 22 with a weak swimmer and having her get in trouble with waves and a bit of a current. Another guy and girl I was with had the same issue.  By the time I got the female to the boat I could barely get aboard and had to just have her hold on while I motored to my friend and his girlfriend. He was so weak (NYS Cross country champ BTW) he couldn't get up the steps without my help. I had recovered enough to pull both females aboard and all three spent the next half an hour throwing up. I am convinced that dumb luck and a good ladder saved 3 or 4 people from drowning.

Bottom line is that that was 35 years ago. I'm not getting stronger, reluctantly the opposite!

Take Care,

Steve

Not cheap, but here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Garelick-Manufacturing-19700-Compact-Transom/dp/B007IDAZWK/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=Garelick%2FEEz-In&qid=1584631511&sr=8-13

It's made for a normal transom sloped opposite of our CS 3's so my son 3-D printed an adapter, while I know Amos (I think) made a wooden one.

What Harmonica?

On 3/19/2020 at 8:27 AM, Steve W said:

Not cheap, but here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Garelick-Manufacturing-19700-Compact-Transom/dp/B007IDAZWK/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=Garelick%2FEEz-In&qid=1584631511&sr=8-13

It's made for a normal transom sloped opposite of our CS 3's so my son 3-D printed an adapter, while I know Amos (I think) made a wooden one.

What Harmonica?

I installed the same ladder on my boat, I think it will be perfect!

On 3/18/2020 at 8:19 AM, Joe Anderson said:

...but if for some reason I lost a fraction of my strength I might not be able to get back in my boat.

Joe,

There isn’t any “if” about loosing a fraction of [our] strength!  It will happen, and in a major way, as we age — most noticeably approaching the 80s.  Although I consider myself physically fit [for my 86 years] my strength has very much diminished since I started building Chessie 5 years ago.  I haven’t actually measured it, but [for example] it is now impossible to standup from a squat (or even from sitting on a low stool) without arm assistance.  So, for example, taking two-stair steps at a time requires [for me] a railing, preferably one on each side.  Although I’m sailing Chessie solo for at least another season, I’m consciously approaching it at a slower less demanding pace.

Sailors, especially skippers, should perform in-water re-boarding practice early each season.  Without that, an full understanding of the physical challenge is not likely.

Hi Don, did you see the requirements to now purchase the Garlock Ez In from Fisheries Supply?

Note: Due to installation complexities EEZ-In II ladders can be sold only to OEMs and Authorized Installers

So as builders can we be considered OEM in this instance?

13 hours ago, Jknight611 said:

Hi Don, did you see the requirements to now purchase the Garlock Ez In from Fisheries Supply?

Note: Due to installation complexities EEZ-In II ladders can be sold only to OEMs and Authorized Installers

So as builders can we be considered OEM in this instance?

No way!!!  Maybe B&B can be an OEM for us.

Fear not.

There seem to be two versions (both called EZ-IN 2 apparently) and i think some are confusing these. There is the "compact" version which is about $225 and can be purchase on amazon by anyone. Just added to the B&B Store (link below). Then there is the "integrated" which seems to be about $688!!!.  I don't think any of us are looking at that one intentionally. 

compact version currently $225

https://bandbyachtdesigns.com/garelick-manufacturing-19700-compact-eez-in-ii-transom-ladder/

integrated $688

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/garelick-eez-in-ii-integrated-concelaed-transom-ladder

And the obligatory note for affiliate links...

"If you buy an items using our Amazon link it means that B&B might receive an small commission from that item should you decide to purchase with zero additional cost to you. Yes really! Thank you for supporting us! "

I purchased the same ladder from Amazon and received it yesterday. I noticed you made an adapter block for mounting. Would or your son have the approx size dimensions of the block. Also what did you seal it with, butyl rubber gasket or a polysulfide sealant? I appreciate your suggestions.

I'm glad B & B made this available. Please buy it from them if you haven't already.

Todd, my son actually can't find the file he used, but continues to look for it. But I remember the exercise of figuring out the angle. I cutg a circular hole in the transom to cut a hole and then filing it on top to allow the tube to fit in. Next I made this little support frame and glued it in, to be taped later.

2131206812_2017-08-2520_58_42.thumb.jpg.62191e0ca64018c236f6f24fa1abcfa4.jpg

Once I got that done Teddy and I positioned the ladder and extended the ladder out and down. Using an angle gauge we figured the angle of the wedge and Teddy programmed that into his CAD program and made the block. with the bolt holes programmed in. If I was making this out of wood I would make the block, Drill one hole and bolt it and then match drill the other three. One thing Teddy did was to make wedge shaped washers so the pressure was pulled even on the transom. These would be easy to make out of some hardwood.

1275430746_2017-08-2520_58_13.thumb.jpg.d6f85600e84781cc6951e78b4131f5d0.jpg

I did wind up installing this after glassing and painting the hull and I used 4200 to bed the black and ladder. It hasn't leaked and works really well.

405078508_2017-08-2521_07_34.thumb.jpg.387c4eb2afa09cba2f532231b88df4b9.jpg

• Like 1

Nice installation. I went a different route, but in hindsight may have selected this one.

A question: I assume you can just pull it out when in the water to deploy it, but how do you retrieve it when back in the boat?

Thanks Steve for the pictures and quick response. Your workmanship is very impressive and clean.  I especially like the fabricated interior support - good idea! Based on your pictures I’ve got a ballpark idea of the angle the block. I’ll start searching around for a chunk of mahogany or teak to make a block. I’ve added it to my existing quest for Sitka spruce or Douglass Fir for sprits. 

Unless you plan on not painting it I think laminating up the the off cuts  would work and hen you could give it three coats of epoxy and it would be fine. I let Teddy get involved as a learning experience and we had fun. 

And to the question of retrieval......its light and above the water line. Easy to reach leaning over the back deck. US fresh water sailors swim a lot......no worries.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 6:57 PM, Nick C said:

Nice installation. I went a different route, but in hindsight may have selected this one.

A question: I assume you can just pull it out when in the water to deploy it, but how do you retrieve it when back in the boat?

There is a detent-type of latch system that holds it in the stowed position until needed.  There is a pull ring to unlatch it for deployment.

It is easy to reach over the stern, to feed it back into the tube.  You fold in the black steps as you work your way in.

There were some questions about the motor mount. I decided to post the video here just to keep things together.

And here are some pictures from the build:

1133635422_2017-09-2317_06_47.thumb.jpg.152987463e7955e264831483c1e98884.jpg

1766285155_2016-05-1121_47_49.thumb.jpg.bdc301dc071262ef80bdaea19c77d3c3.jpg

Upon looking at the pics I know remember that I glued a wedge to the inside to get the angle. I think in this pic, it's pre-wedge. I hope this helps.