Core Sound 20 Mark III #3 "Skeena"

Steve W

As far as sails going up and down smoothly: sanding the ridges (left by the mold I presume) on the plastic sail track slides does help.  I just wrapped sandpaper around a dowel and hollowed out the back of the slide by hand.  Using a small sanding drum in a drill press would be quicker.

The butt joint where the sail tracks meet may be a culprit as well.  I had one joint that ended up misaligned (the rivet gun picked the most crucial part of the job to fail!); I used spray adhesive to glue fine grit sandpaper to an extra sail track slide and slid that back and forth over the joint to flush the intersection.

Thanks Amos and Jay. I forgot to add to my list painting of the non-skid. I have a good chunk of this weekend to work. This morning I re-drilled all the holes for the hardware and I'll be bedding that stuff in. I then plan to work inside after that on the hatch boards.

I'm heading to the Mid Atlantic Small Craft Festival in early October. I'm hoping to make a week long cruise out of the trip. I may leave the boat in Maryland and fly home, heading to pick it up on the way to the mess-about. I was jealous when you were all leaving to cruise so if that happens I hope to be part of that.

Amos, I figured the sails reluctance to slide was something like that. I just haven't had a chance to diagnose. I think I remember Graham talking to me about that at the Messabout.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the DMV and actually got my paperwork today. Skeena will be in the water this weekend one way or another. I have a few modifications on the trailer to make and add the rubrails but basically she is done.

I made a decision I like and want to share. I decided to add a bungy to keep the aft hatch closed. Pics:

1375441002_2019-07-2307_16_42.thumb.jpg.a7d43e47eb768e3dc779c85438edc6e5.jpg

No latch!

1469095505_2019-07-2307_16_54.thumb.jpg.c26fbf8024800816cc218188207dbc74.jpg

A couple of screw eyes. One to tie to and the other to allow the bungy to be long enough to not run too tight.

1569542420_2019-07-2307_16_35.thumb.jpg.eae637901ae70583be8ec3fdb3c01faa.jpg

Doesn't seem to interfere, and the hatch will be always shut. Easy to hold open with your boat shoes or shop slippers!

Should be a full report Monday!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's great, Steve!  Looks like ## 3 & 4 will be sailing together at the Mid-Atlantic.  Maybe we could talk Jay into bringing #2 to Saint Michaels?  And Dough's #1.  It would be a regular fleet of CS20.3s.  And a repeat for the Messabout.  Both times I'll be showing off Chessie to raise interest of possible buyers.  Hope you can get some good photos.

So my daughter gave the first sail a 10 out of 10. First a few pics:

1099526722_2019-08-1419_07_06.thumb.jpg.07a5540fea822daba9aed4a6482f982f.jpg

My daughter Helen. She's been my faithful companion since she was born 21 and a half years ago. Took time from her two jobs and LSAT study to sail with dad.

962721281_2019-08-1418_56_36.thumb.jpg.65cabe65ac90cfbe96c201afdca915b6.jpg

The motor mount. Fantastic. worked perfect. Still need to test in bigger waves to make sure the prop stays, but going over a few bigger boat wakes worked great. At worst a change to a long shaft. It's still in the break in but I had it going 6.2 knots for a few moments.

281715282_2019-08-1418_56_24.thumb.jpg.0bb1aac225566102e7d6b8f22885d463.jpg

The solar panel is attached to the front hatch. My son Teddy made a plastic cover to protect the leads coming out.

And now, the Video:

Thank you to Graham and Alan, Doug, Jay, Chick, Pete and everyone else (miss you PAR) who helped out and offered advice and tips. Thanks to the great staff at B & B for all the help and conversation. See you at the messabout!

Steve

• Like 1

My laundry list with questions:

• Non-skid. I know how to do it, just wondering where you think it is necessary. Currently the cabin top sides, and the cockpit sole. Anywhere else? Seat tops?
  • Fender attachment points. Where did you put yours?
  • Thinking of running a little pendant from the mizzen sprit snotter eye strap to attach to the aft of the main sprit to support the sprit while at the dock. Anyone done this and if not any other solution to the pile of sprit and sail lying in the companionway?

Here is a pic of the motor mount (forward):

439183065_2019-08-1607_11_22.thumb.jpg.68a6dec61aa63e51e2413ad5b2255e70.jpg

Reverse:

1687944134_2019-08-1607_11_52.thumb.jpg.0720b5000f88aa31af670b7e31422629.jpg

And Skeena with teak rub rails but without a waterline and her name.

2019-08-16 07.10.59.jpg

Steve, I use the halyards to support the aft ends of the sprits. If you are only concerned about the mainsail/sprit you can use the mizzen halyard to support the main sprit. But, a pendant that you can easily detach and store is a good idea for the  main.

Good looking boat! Congratulations on the project and the launch.

As far as the non-skid, I only applied it on the cabin top and cockpit sole.  I have found when I get up in the morning, the seat tops are slick from dew and quite slippery, but I am not going to apply non skid there as it would catch on peoples clothing.  I just wipe them down in the morning with a sponge.

You may want some non-skid on whatever you step on to get down into the cabin.  I plan to apply some on my step.

As far as supporting the sprit, this what Mr. Graham posted about a year ago :

"I cannot tell a lie, I have been using lifts on Carlita. Rather than rig special topping lifts, I already have enough clutter, I have been using the mizzen staysail halyard for the mizzen lift. On the main I am using about 4' of 5/32" line with a small S-hook at the bottom attached to the forward side of the mizzen mast at the right height so that I can slip the S-hook thru an eye at the aft end of the main sprit.

The main lift tends to be self centering and stays put when I tighten the main sheet. If the mizzen starts to dance around at anchor I run a line thru the spinnaker block on top of the coaming aft over to the sprit. This triangulates with the lift and mizzen sheet and the system is rock solid. If it got bad enough to bother the main sprit I could do something like I do with the mizzen."

Well, I use topping lifts, so convenient when we reef,  just harden the topping lift, let the halyard drop to the marks on the halyard  then pull the reefing lines, release the topping lift,  then tidy up the sail as you wish.  Prevents the sail gathering in the cockpit while you reef without the topping lift holding the sprit up.  When we trailer, I pull the sprits to the top of the mast with the topping lifts, then pull the snotter tight to hold the sprit parallel the masts.  Once the masts are lowered and in their crutches,  a couple pieces of foam pipe insulation prevents chafe with several bungee cords. We trailer with the sprits in place, and use the sailcovers to keep the sails protected in the cabin.  All the reefing lines remain on the sprits or mast,  and a full length cover over the masts and sprits help prevent the reefing lines from becoming a macrame class. 

Congratulations Steve. I love your video. Looks like Helen loves sailing and is good at it. She has the instinct to jump up on the rail when Dad heals the boat.

I also like your paint scheme. Surprisingly different from other Mk3s.

Thanks for sharing your build. Enjoy the sail.

I used Interlux Perfection. Medeterainiean White and Platinum Grey. I wish the gray was a little darker. FWIW, the paint isn't for ametuers. Very thin and shows every imperfection. I used Kirby on my S11N and it was so much thicker it shows brush marks but hides flaws. I wound up painting the strakes 3 times and I'm still not happy. Amos said painting was "humbling". I agree.

• Like 1