Core Sound 20 Mark III #3 "Skeena"

Steve W

Steve,

I like to mill the tops of the coamings 1/8" below the the underside of the hatch and use 1/4" gasket material as Chick says.

Alan and I have debated at length on how to handle this and decided that 1/8" is about as close a tolerance as we could expect a home builder to consistently achieve.

I like to set my trim router with a straight bit using it as an end mill and trim the coaming tops precisely 1/8" below grade. I do not have any deck to support the the inboard side so using a chisel and block plane work it down to grade. If the cockpit coaming is already installed you have to work the back coaming as you do for the front. It is only 6mm okume so it is not that hard to do. You can round over the top edges and it will look good and it will be a little easier to compress the gasket.

When I lift up my hatches I can see a perfect indent all of the way around the gasket.

I know that  blind hinge mount would be nicer but I have not figured how to do it. After a while I do not even see the flat piano hinge in the big picture.

All right Graham......I didn't see anything in the instructions about that. I do have the coamings on and I put a nice radius on already and it is so flat right now, but that shouldn't take long to fix. The joke is I'm 75% done and have been for 6 months.

BTW, I also bought the latches that Alan listed on the capsize camp thread. They are a great design, but I returned them as they just were a bit sharp in nature. I like to sail barefoot and often in shorts a lot and I just thought they would tear me up. I ordered some latches that remind me a lot of the ones on a Yeti cooler. When they come in I'll post my results. The downside is they don't lock. They are here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BGVVTX3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2M3X2ID1MMVG9&psc=1

Steve, I think there is a video that Alan made that shows what Mr. Graham is describing.  I can't remember which one though.

I temporary screwed a piece of plywood to my router to make an oversized baseplate to minimize tipping of the router, and trimmed down the coaming tops by sliding the router along the tops of the seats.  The router bit is set low enough to take a small bite from the coaming top, and registering the base of the router on the seat keeps the coaming top parallel to the seats.  The router won't reach everywhere of course, and some spots have to be worked by hand. 

It is important to keep weight on the oversized baseplate to prevent the router from tipping over and putting a divot in the coaming top.

I couldn't find the video, but I got through it almost unscathed. I used my big router and cut the sides down as prescribed. With my comings already on and the tape at it's base it made it only partly effective on the aft edge . I scribed a line the rest of the way and used a Shinto rasp to finish it. I then scribed a line on the front and back and used a block plane to get it close and a finished the corners with the rasp. My only issue was a bit of tear out in the corners, but I glued the offending piece back. The seats sit proud about 1/16"

Once again, the thinking took longer than the deed. Thanks for all the help.

• Like 1

804226626_2018-08-1111_30_42.thumb.jpg.a6b2d9ee390c28088df07743d269f5ce.jpg

Well the week was busy. Stuck late at work Monday and Tuesday, played at an open mic Wednesday with my daughter who is going back to school soon, and then Thursday took a nice boat trip down the Erie Canal with my three sisters. Friday I had to pay attention to my wife which is always easy for me.

Finally this morning I got my hinges on, gaskets re-done, and the new latches installed. I'm about to glass the bottom of the motor mount well.

Today's question: I have plenty of glass to do the cockpit sole. Should I? I'm leaning that way.

Last night I called B & B to make sure I was proceeding correctly. It was great talking with Carla for a bit, and then I got to talk to Graham and he was helpful as always. Here's a pic of me doing the mast alignment with fake masts. My ceiling height won't let me attach the tabernacles until I get the boat out of the basement but I wanted to get the base under the mizzen glued in. The masts need to be parallel (same rake) and on center, with the same rake.  It turns out that after I got it straight by eyeball, if I put a framing square up to it, but in line with the slight rotation of the tabernacle, it was perfectly square (of course). I used a tape measure at the top and bottom of the temporary masts to get the masts parallel . In the "measure twice, cut once" camp, I have never stressed so much. But I'm confident that I have the placement right. I glued it last night and tonight I'll add the screws. Thanks Graham (And nice talking to you Carla!).

1262461904_2018-08-1320_39_24.thumb.jpg.e8b47283dec6347e7f8628538fa1d188.jpg

No racing Chick. I concede.  Last night I converted my table saw to just a table and finished sanding all the hatch parts. By the end of the weekend I should have it all coated at least once, including the boat. I just found out nobody is going to be around the whole weekend of September 14th. I'm going to roll and tip it that weekend, so I need to hustle to have it ready. In the midst of all that I have a weekend of sailing in the 1000 Islands and a wedding to go to.

I hired a contractor to replace my basement sliding door, so I need to slide the boat out of the workshop and into the man cave part of my basement shortly after that so she's ready for rest of the trip from the womb.

2 hours ago, Steve W said:

.... rest of the trip from the womb.

And I thought I was bad about anthropomorphizing my boats! (Go ahead, look it up.)

I did the same with my table saw. And laid parts out ob several other surfaces, too. First coat of goop on all, but NOT including the Codger. Except the interior. Gotta go get my trailer today. Maybe.

It's a tough day. We had to have out 16 year old dog, Princess, put to sleep. Don't really fell like epoxy coating today.

So, maybe the race is still on.

Chick, I am sorry about Princess. That is tough. I have had a lot of dogs over the years and they become such good companions. Josie, my current companion is 14 and limps, has bad teeth, and her hair has all gone from black to grey, but every minute I'm working on the boat, there she is. Sometimes sleeping at my feet, sometimes snoring while she sleeps, sometimes getting  burst of puppy energy to play fetch, sometimes bugging me for treats, but always staying interested in whatever I'm doing. I know her day is coming. I'm hoping she gets a sail. That's the least I could do after cutting epoxy off her fur a number of times!

Please share a pic of Princess. Here's Josie.

1743130676_2014-06-0818_01.25(2).thumb.jpg.9a836dab80d1479fe0c05fea66ce7042.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Steve. We haven't got any pictures on the camera or phone. We do have some actual photos, but my printer refuses to scan. She was a golden retriever mix. As a young dog, she loved to play. Especially retrieve sticks or balls thrown out into the river. She was a part of the family.

Last summer, we did some things on her "bucket list" including taking her on a boat ride and swimming, which she loved to do when she was younger. She's not been able to do much more than sleep, eat, and go for short "potty walks" for awhile now.

We didn't want to stay home after we buried her, so we went to Morganton to pick up the trailer for Old Codger. 3 hour round trip. It was sad getting back home and not having to walk her.

Dang Steve! Lookit that big 'ol shop! And air cleaner. And dust collection system. And all the room. Wood storage racks. And the boat all poxied up! You're almost done already. Spars done? Rudder? At least I don't hafta worry about those. Wanna bet on who gets done first? No.Wait. I don't bet. Oh well.

Take a picture with my phone? Old Codger. Don't do that stuff. Maybe I can get one with the camera though. Graham made me learn to do that so I could post on the forum. Camera + laptop. Yeah, I'll try it.

Everything has been made but the masts and sprits. I just ordered the paint. Winter will set in here in about two and a half months. 

The plan is to paint it the weekend of Sept 14th. The family will be out of town. Then she'll move out to the barn and I can work on the masts and how she sits on the trailer. Unfortunately it looks like a May launch unless I chop a hole in the ice.

WORK FASTER!!! I'm agonna beat ya to it! Besides, ya gotta be at the messabout with Jazz Hands in October. I told the Old Codger that she'd (he'd?) be there.

I tried getting a picture of a picture of Princess in her prime. It's posted. Got the flash from the camera, too, but I think you can see her ok. This was at one of her favorite places near where we lived in Havelock, NC.

DSCN3628.thumb.JPG.73ef9b0c1e31a0f9d2c562f1cfa662c6.JPG

She's a good looking dog. I had an Irish Setter/Golden Retriever mix named Kelly when I was younger. On eof the best dogs I ever had. Josie was my moms dog and I inherited her when mom passed. It's going to be tough. As for the messabout I will be without a boat this year. But next year I may have two! I'd like to bring the Suzie J as well as Jazz Hands.

Thanks Steve. Princess was the perfect dog. A bit "wild" until she finally settled down. She used to take US for a walk for the first 3 years. To anxious to see what was ahead. The last couple of years have been tough taking care of her, but she took care of us for the previous 14 years. She's definitely missed.

Sorry you won't have any boats at the messabout this year, but you are coming? Plenty of other folks to sail with while you're hear. Even at least one old codger with a stink-pot to ride with if ya want.

I may bring the motor canoe, too if anyone is interested. I'm considering "Plan-D" for a boat to carry along when we go camping, and may sell the canoe.

But now it almost time to go out to the old garop and begin sanding all that poxy. Oh, joy....

I haven't bought plane tickets down yet, but I'm planning on coming. I'll probably do the same thing I did last year......fly to Raleigh, rent a car and drive in. I may camp this year. We'll see. It's tough to fly and bring enough stuff to camp.

Do you have any sanding tips? I put the second coat of goop on at 5 am this morning.