Core Sound 20 Mark III #3 "Skeena"

Steve W

Hi guys, we “plan” to be there with Southern Express!  We missed last year because of some minor work that went into overtime,  but have every intention of getting there a few days early to enjoy the local sailing area. 

Hope to see everyone there!  

• Like 1

Just booked my flight in to Raleigh. Totally Stoked. I'm lucky to travel a lot for work, so with frequent flyer mileage the flight cost $11 dollars. Arriving at B & B Friday afternoon! See you then. Obviously no boat this year, but next year, god willing and the creek don't rise, two boats!

BTW, if anyone is flying in and needs a ride from Raleigh, pm me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In case you all think I'm slacking, I've taken the approach that since sailing is done here in NY, I'd add a few details. Below is a shot of my Yeti coffee (yes, it was worth 30 bucks) in it's new recess in the cabin step. You will also note the electrical system, which is done (more later) short of a few wire fasteners to tidy things up. The only thing left in the cabin is to make a few gear hammocks and to design some gear pockets to add to the unpainted aft cabin. I'm not above copying others good ideas.

Everything is faired and primed above decks. Paint will go on next Monday after live advice in NC.

396493706_2018-10-1420_07_32.thumb.jpg.adacb27cdcd05af8009534f2cf014efa.jpg517721587_2018-10-1422_12_14.thumb.jpg.f876881ec9fdde071c79cab99509624d.jpg

It will prevent my coffee cup from sliding at anchor. The other side is for Suzanne's cup, which she's getting for Xmas in her stocking. Pretty darn romantic I'd say!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AmosSwogger said:

Excellent idea Steve.  I can see B&B revising their plans and boat description to include cupholders now . . . "The CS20.3 now comes with 8 cupholders"!

Brilliant. My wife once picked a car based on the appeal of it's cupholders. Really. To be honest, I'll probably add a bottleport on the deck. I have one on a sunfish and one on my Sea Pearl. Amazing.

http://www.bottleport.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I need help. The drawing of the waterline is difficult to read and I'm at the hull painting stage. My interpretation of what I'm seeing:

1. The "bottom paint" extends 1.5 inches above the DWL.  This is my most important question for today as I'm ready to paint the hull.
  2. The top of the "boot strip" is  4.5" above the DWL at the bow and extends to the bottom paint (1.5" up form DWL). This is shown on the Outboard profile of the plan set but contradicts the "boot strip" plan sheet I got which may show the top at 5"
  3. The middle of the "boot stripe" is 2" thick 1.5 inches up from the DWL.
  4. The aft end is really hard to read. Maybe the "boot stripe" extends from 1.5 above DWL to 2 3/8"

My plan is to pain the hull color (grey in honor of Carlita's first EC) down to 1.5 above DWL and put the boot stripe over it later.

I'll defer to Graham, et al, but the edges of the bottom paint line and boot stripe lines all need to be parallel to the WL.  The bottom paint line and boot top lines are *not* a constant thickness throughout. The boot stripe will likely be wider at bow and stern than in the middle of the boat. 

3 hours ago, Steve W said:

1. The "bottom paint" extends 1.5 inches above the DWL.  This is my most important question for today as I'm ready to paint the hull.

No, that isn't right.  It needs to extend much more than that.  Are these the drawing you are looking at?  

"No, that isn't right.  It needs to extend much more than that.  Are these the drawing you are looking at? "

OK, I must be dense as I am more confused as ever with this comment. Am I correct that the drawing shows the bottom of the boot stripe to be parallel with the DWL and 1.5" up? I'm getting the 1.5 from the "Outboard Profile" or cover page of the plans. If so, I plan to paint the grey to it and then pace the boot stripe over the grey. Maybe you didn't do that?  But then wouldn't you have to tape the curved part things twice?

I haven't seen the drawings you are referring to, so I misunderstood your question.  I'm sorry about that.

Dang it, now I'm confused also.  We are probably both overthinking this.

Once your boat is upright again and you start laying out the pieces of wood that guide the tape all the confusion will go away and it will make sense.  It is one of those processes that is hard to describe in writing, but is easy to do in person.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I took the easy way out and taped a line at the waterline using a laser level. The big reason is I didn't have enough room to extend the V shaped pieces wide enough in my shop. We'll get that step done when she's on the trailer. I flipped the hull (getting easy now!) and painted the sides and then below the waterline. The hull is a nice grey. Super happy with the color.

FWIW, I wanted to use a 2 part poly due to it's fuel resistance. I wound up using Interlux Perfection. On the bottom I used VC-17 (freshwater paint)1184445595_2018-11-0412_11_49.thumb.jpg.37f1faa3a61cad05e22f5acd9ebf8bcc.jpg over a 2000E epoxy coating. Tonight I start putting fittings on permanently. Yay!

• Like 2