Photos of Rigging Needed

Don Silsbe

I am relatively new to Graham's designs, especially to the Cat Ketch rig and the centerboard uphaul/downhaul system.  I was at the Messabout last fall and a variety of execution methods for these systems.  Unfortunately, I did not take enough photos.  I know that there's more than one way to skin a cat, and I saw that in the boats' rigging at that event.  I would appreciate it if everyone would post photos of their boat's rig.  Ideally, these details could be included on B&B's website.  But I think that this forum would be a great place to start.  I've attached a photo from the Messabout as an example.  post-3770-0-31651600-1419870920_thumb.jpg

THe Bay River Skiff was meant to be simple, cheap and quick to rig. If you start looking at the Core Sound rigging you will see a lot of extra stuff, like halyards, sail tracks, lines led aft to the helmsman etc.. While all of this stuff can be good, it comes at a cost. one of the things that I enjoyed most about my BRS was that I could be rigged and sailing quicker than I could explain it. Consequently I sailed it a lot.

I would start off rigging it as basic as I could. If you felt like adding line or two or another block after you get to know it better to make it more convenient, add it.

Thanks, Chick.  I'll certainly take you up on the offer.  I'm very pleased to have you nearby, to consult with from time to time. There are no details for centerboard rigging hardware in the BRS15 plans.  I have access to a set of CS15 plans.  I will use that info, unless I get a simpler suggestion.

Graham:  I got that feeling, after comparing the red BRS and Alan's recent build at this year's messabout.  My objective will also be to keep it simple-- super simple, in fact.  I want a quick and easy set-up at the launch ramp, because I'll be sailing solo most of the time.  I will also want the decks and seats as clear of hardware as possible, since my bride loves to lounge about, once we get under way.  On the same theme, I plan to sacrifice reefing ability and go with lace-on sails.  My buddy Don R. thinks I'm crazy to opt out of reefing, but I don't think I'll need it so much, here in the Carolina foothills.  I'd rather keep it simple, and roll the sails up on and off the mast each time.

Chick:  And your wife is right (of course)!  That's why I posted this question here.  I want to see all the different ways people have rigged their boats.  I hope to glean a fresh, clever idea or two, if people are willing to share their set-ups.Half of the fun of building this boat (for me) is the creative process, as pertains to the rigging.  My plan is to adhere to the plans as rigidly as possible, as far as the hull, sail plan, etc. are concerned.  I am looking forward to playing around with the rigging, however.  For example, the sheeting systems will probably be done with Ronstan Orbit blocks, lashed to the boat instead of using eye straps, screws, springs, etc.  One reason for this is to keep the rowing seat clear of hardware.

The boat is currently nine sheets of plywood, laying in the back of my Chrysler Town & Country, so the sails are still only in my mind.  But my intent is to have them be lace-on.  

My thoughts on sleeve construction are:

• ADVANTAGES: Clean, smooth air entry; clean, smooth line down the mast (no lumps when rolled up), ability to adjust luff tension
  • DISADVANTAGES:  Fights you, when rolling the sails on the mast; you'd better get it right the first time, when deciding snotter slot location.

Did I miss anything?  I'm open-minded on this subject.  I want the simplest, easiest set-up; I'm not as interested in optimum performance.  (I AM using Meranti, after all!)

If you buy the stock sails from B&B, they will be sleeve luff. By-the-way, Graham has a "zipper" to open up the sleeve for reefing. Don't know if this is standard or special order. I would definitely by their sails as they are designed for the amount of bend of the mast, etc. I've always been very happy with them.

I will say that I started with sleeve sails and did not like them primarily because they would not reef.  I go beach cruising with our WCTSS sailing club and found that you have to be able to reef because you never know when the wind will kick up.  I usually sail by myself so I need to reef early.   I converted to a track with two reefs and have found it very satisfactory.  I leave the sails on the mast and roll up on the mast which is very easy and quick when launching or retrieving.  I have rarely removed (dropped the sails).  Only for inspection of the halyards.

dale

The same would be true on my former home waters of the the west end of Lake Erie, Dale.  But here in the Appalachian foothills, the winds are not very intense.  I'm wondering if I can convert a lace-on sail to a track later on.  I'm hoping to start simply, and embellish later on.

Thrillsbe - I'm not sure what your idea of intense wind is but I've been surprised on a number of occasions in the Piedmont and the mountains of NC by pop-up thunderstorms and they can pack a punch.

I liked my sleeve luff sails a lot but if I were building another CS17 I'd probably be picking Dale's brain and begging for pictures.  I liked storing my sails rolled up on the masts but it would have been nice if I had another option for reefing them.  If I decided that I really wanted sleeve luff sails again (and I might) I'd probably add the zipper reef that Chick mentioned.

And don't worry too much about the snotter location - It can be adjusted.  I used to just girth-hitch the snotter onto the mast which allowed me to fine-tune the position when I wanted to.  If you do that you'll have plenty of time to play with the position of the snotter before you drill any holes in the mast.

But with the sleeve, don't you have to have a gap in it, where the snotter attaches? That's all I was concerned about. I intend to use a girth or rolling hitch to secure the snotter to the mast. This is what I do currently on my spritsail rigged dinghy. Thanks for the input on sailing in the Piedmont, too.

Yes.  There will be a gap in the sleeve where the snotter attaches.  On my sails (purchased from B and B) the gap was large enough to allow the height of the snotter to be adjusted some.  Moving a snotter up and down changes the relative amounts of tension in the foot and the leach.  raising the snotter is like tensioning a vang and lowering it does the opposite.

If you're making the sails yourself Graham might tell you how high and how large to make the gap.  I'll see if I can find a picture or two of Southbound under sail.  After all, you asked for photos and all you've gotten so far is a lot of talk ;)

You're right about the talk vs. photos, Ken . But the discussion has been fruitful, too. Not sure where I'll but my sails yet. There are several factors to weigh on that subject. If money were no object, I'd have a sail track. But it is a factor, as is rig simplicity. I have time to mull it over, since my BRS15 is currently 9 sheets of plywood setting in my car.