Lapwing #20 aka Hirilondë

Hirilonde

The bottle was a dumb comment I made about a place for Dave's mainmast drain tube to drain into. Then the parrot in my brain kept screaming about the bottle, so I had to make it. Plus, I felt bad about my snarky comment.

So, it's for nothing, really, just a joke, then a lark, soon to be a kitschy souvenir.

Sorry for the distraction.

With the exception of a few do-dads like the seat hatch latches I am done adding wood to my boat.  I applied the epoxy to the deck and combing and took her out in the yard to clean the entire boat and de-blush the last of the epoxy.

post-442-0-40115700-1434653625_thumb.jpgpost-442-0-97346900-1434653692_thumb.jpg

I stepped the masts again to try out my partner collar/stepping aid.  After reading many posts on mast stepping and aids to make it easier, safer and actually stepping mine I concluded some adaptation would be useful.  So I came up with a collar that works much like a pole vaulters pit does for placing the but of the pole for a vault.  I made it the same way my masts are made, sort of.  I glued the birds mouth pieces together and to a piece of plywood to that I could mount them on the end chuck of my lathe.

post-442-0-73717200-1434653832_thumb.jpg

After turning I cut if off the plywood, cut the elevation down for the aft half, rounded the top corners, sanded it and epoxied it to the deck at the partner.

post-442-0-12448600-1434654178_thumb.jpg

After sanding all the new epoxy I took the boat out and cleaned it again.  And then began the varnishing.

post-442-0-05708800-1434654109_thumb.jpgpost-442-0-11848200-1434654311_thumb.jpgpost-442-0-41297700-1434654321_thumb.jpgpost-442-0-58311400-1434654358_thumb.jpg

Now I have to clear out the boat shed and thoroughly clean everything for the rest of the varnishing and painting.  The nice thing about a tent is that I can hose the entire interior down to eliminate all the dust stuck to it everywhere.

Putting the finishing touches on paint and varnish and I started rigging.  A couple photos with more to come when I take it out into the yard later.

I added solid half oval bronze for a keel strip.  I bought it from an individual that left it out in his yard for many years and was glad to part with it for less than what hollow SS would have cost.  It also had no drilled holes, so it bent fair and I could set up the pattern I wanted.

post-442-0-88809400-1435258945_thumb.jpgpost-442-0-15074500-1435258968_thumb.jpgpost-442-0-37307500-1435259166_thumb.jpg

Dave-

I have been sharing photos with my brother Nate Godfrey who lives in Narragansett and has a business in Newport and Kingston. ( real estate appraisal and cross fit gym). He would love to see your launch, your boat and hold glasses, lines, take photos or whatever if it is a less than private launch.

Let me know.

Boat looks great

Hey Lennie and thanks for the kind words.  I have no plans for a ceremony, but I am always glad to show off my boat, talk building and boating and I would love to have someone take pictures.  I am sending you my phone number via forum pm.

I lose track of stuff in forums over time, or maybe I just missed it Action Tiger.  I think the bottle thing is very cool.  Not sure I would use it to collect water, but it would be fun to have.

Thanks Jay.  I don't know that I can make the B&B messabout this year as I will be returning from a 3 week trip to South Africa just before it.  But I will some how get to another one soon.  Or if you are ever up my way I would be glad to show my boat.

6 months and 2 days after I started shaping the first sprit and I went sailing.  It was blowing 1-4 kts. with gusts up to 6 kts..  It was still enough to prove that my boat came out as a facsimile to the pictures Graham drew because she handles like a sports car.  The acceleration, even in the light puffs we (my wife Lin and I) had was immediate.  I have concluded I like the boat, and will keep it.

I set my wife ashore at the end of our 2 hour sail to take some pictures.  But she must have had trouble as she only actually took 1 picture.  Well, at least it proves I launched and my boat floats.  I will post more as I go out.

post-442-0-30678500-1436034291_thumb.jpg