Lapwing #20 aka Hirilondë

Hirilonde

Hot recoating is easy and fast.  The small investment in time and paint will help assure a durable finnish.  I like moving on to the next step knowing I did the best I could.  I bought a gallon of paint  for very little more than 2 quarts.  Each coat takes less than an hour.  So the additional coats cost me almost no money and a few hours at most.  It just seemed to make sense.

I used the S3 wR-lpu and tried wet sanding and buffing.  It does come out very smooth and glossy, I applied 4 coats, but Dave's suggestion of 6 coats is a good one, as it will wear thin in spots.  Therefore, i am planning on doing two more coats after all is said in done in a few weeks.  Indoors is also a good suggestion, as well as a little thinning to help it keep a wet edge.  The primer is great stuff and sands easily leaving an excellent base for the top coats. 

The stuff is very durable when applied over its primer.  

David Jost

• Like 1

Oooh, that cleat and cheek block would work well for a pendant halyard and the shackle for a sail halyard.  I can definitely put them to good use.  Thanks for the offer.  At least let me know what shipping would cost so I can reimburse that.  Sending pm with contact info.

Back from vacation, and back to work on the boat.  After almost 2 weeks of paint curing I flipped the boat onto a padded cradle for interior work.  I finished the fillets and tabbing along with a first coat of epoxy.  Gave it all a good Scotch Brite scrub with mildly soapy water for de-blush.  Next I sand everything and ..........................

post-442-0-84840400-1431598828_thumb.jpgpost-442-0-98577500-1431598839_thumb.jpg

The main mast is almost ready for varnish final fitting to the mast tube.  

post-442-0-29175100-1431598992_thumb.jpgpost-442-0-46775600-1431599004_thumb.jpg

A cut off from each end.

post-442-0-86052700-1431599020_thumb.jpg

Yes Chick, that is exactly where it came from.  There is a chapter in JRRT's unifinished but published by his son book "Untold Tales" devoted to Aldarion.   I figured it was good luck (though I am not superstitious in any way) to name a cruising boat "haven finder" and it was also the name of my Renegade.  I am having second thoughts on naming my Lapwing the same, though I really like the name.  I hopefully won't need to find a haven while daysailing like I would cruising.  

I am considering Üinen (ooh-ih-nen) for this boat.  She was a vassel to the Lord of Waters (Ülmo pronounced ool mow) and the protector of inland waterways.  Also from Tolkien mythology.   I am a huge fan of Tolkien lore.  http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Uinen

When I first joined this forum I chose not to use my real name.  I was being cautious.  Now I choose not to change and lose history here, so I simply added a signature.

• Like 1

There is a lot to like about what Jackson did with the 3 LoTR books.  He made a few changes that were unforgivable IMO, like turning Arwen into a warrior princess.  He kept true for the most part to the story, The costumes, scenery, use of Elvish language and a lot of other details were very good.

The Hobbit was destroyed by the movies.  He invented a new warrior princess that does not exist.  He brought Legolas into the story and he never appears in the book.  The plot barely follows the original story line.  The dwarves at the original meeting at Bilbo's house was great..  And it went down hill from there.

• Like 1

Hard at work doing the interior

post-442-0-61483400-1432159941_thumb.jpgpost-442-0-73410900-1432159960_thumb.jpgpost-442-0-27087900-1432159982_thumb.jpgpost-442-0-29581800-1432159991_thumb.jpg

Sails are in and being numbered.  Alan is getting my hardware together.  He has found all the parts for single sheets for main and mizzen, both with swivel blocks/cleats and making them an option for parts ordering.  I feel good about doing some sailing this summer.

Amazing progress.  I guess that's the difference between working more or less every day vs working more or less every weekend. I still have hopes for this summer. Next week on vacation.  If I make some progress, I'll send along some pix.

• Like 1

The mast step is 3" ID sched 40 PVC.  I fit the tube, remove and sand it completely on the outside with 80 grit.   It is filleted and tabbed to the step and the entire tube is wrapped 2 times with glass tape with a 3rd wrap around the base.  And then some plastic surgical hose for a drain. I am not putting it through the hullI.  I will either just leave it loose and mop up the water when I put the boat away, or maybe run it through the forward bulkhead so it drains into the cockpit.  Still scratching my head on that one.  My mast, with a single wrap of glass tape for a bushing just fits into the tube.

I haven't been able to work on the boat every day Paul, but I do manage more time than most people.  The winter hurt progress a little, and spring work opening the marina I manage have taken away some days.