Lapwing #20 aka Hirilondë

Hirilonde

I have never launched at Marina Park, but it looks like a good ramp. It is only a mile or so by water from me, but it is in the upper part of the pond you have to deal with a half mile or so of shifty winds and strong currents before you can get anywhere worth sailing. Galilee boat ramp near the bridge to Great Island is better. I will try send you a PM with my phone number and we will see what we can work out.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, one set of reef points.  I still haven't used them yet.  No staysail, at least yet.  I don't know that I will really feel the need or want of one.  It is a daysailor for me.  I insisted on a boat that performs well, but just to satisfy my need to try and sail well.  I don't rule anything out.  One of the best things about being the builder of your own boat is that you always know you can repair, add, tweak, admonish, etc..   And it is all part of the process.   This coming winter will be for personal touches and some creature comfort tweaks.  I want to finish a season and learn more about how I sail the boat before I commit to such things though.  Thanks for the kind words.

Still hoping to get some sailing photos of the boat.  So far mostly pictures from the boat.

This one is in the harbor of refuge protecting the entrance to the fishing port of Galilee just around the corner from Pt. Judith:

post-442-0-48505600-1438530753_thumb.jpg

This one is on Worden Pond near my home.  This will be a common visit when I need a convenient small dose of solo sailing for mental health reasons  Hopefully more wind though:

post-442-0-83119700-1438530770_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hey Murray.  I did all 3 coats in 24 hours, hence hot re-coating. The only glass is the tape used on interior inside corners as per plans. Cloth on the exterior would be a disaster due to 14 overlaps in the hull. Add to that my goal is almost always to stay light. 

Hope this helps and feel free to follow up. Very few of these have been built and only 3 I know of have been documented in this forum. There hasn't been any discussion on the Lapwing in years. Tom Lathrop, who conceived the boat is still active in the forum. In case he misses this thread update I bet he wouldn't mind a pm if you want some insider info I may not be aware of.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment.

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2019 at 12:15 AM, Hirilonde said:

Thanks Dave. I see reference to Tom Lathrop's mizzen sheeting method, but no photos I can find to tell show what it is. Do you know if this is a single ended arrangement taken forwards - much like a Laser? Given the mainsail is larger, I'd imagine that's the sheet you'd want to hang on to rather than the mizzen which could be cleated quite a bit of the time? 

My shed is still getting built, but I'm expecting to make a start on the boat

in January... Are you still actively sailing your boat? cheers, Murray 

On 6/28/2019 at 12:15 AM, Hirilonde said:

Hey Murray.  I did all 3 coats in 24 hours, hence hot re-coating. The only glass is the tape used on interior inside corners as per plans. Cloth on the exterior would be a disaster due to 14 overlaps in the hull. Add to that my goal is almost always to stay light. 

Hope this helps and feel free to follow up. Very few of these have been built and only 3 I know of have been documented in this forum. There hasn't been any discussion on the Lapwing in years. Tom Lathrop, who conceived the boat is still active in the forum. In case he misses this thread update I bet he wouldn't mind a pm if you want some insider info I may not be aware of.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment.

Dave

Tom and I may have located our swivel w/block & cam cleats slightly differently, but to the same end. I wanted the main sheet to lead from in front of me like I have been used to for many years. In a blow I like to keep the sheet in my hand or at least my lap.  Hence the double ended main sheet leading to 2 swivels on the mizzen thwart/partner, one on either side of the mizzen.  And in the center, just aft of the mizzen is the mizzen sheet. This picture shows the locations:

This is my 5th season, and will probably be my most sailed season of the 5.  I just retired last fall.

Woohoo, another Lapwing.  I look forward to your thread.

DSCN8161.JPG

I'll jump in and say that, yes, the main sheet is the one you want to have readily available and in your hand, especially in gusty conditions.  My CS17 uses the same swivel-cams as Dave's lapwing, and they are well worth it.  So, when sailing in any sort of breeze, generally the downwind end is in its cam and the upwind end is in my forward hand, tiller in my rearward hand.  You can leave the mizzen cleated, and if there is a gust, it will head you up into the wind, not knock you down.  But the main will try to knock you down in a gust, just as on a sloop, so that's the one you want to be able to ease or dump in a hurry.  If you can make your boat look like Dave's, you'll be in great shape!

I have a double ended sheet on my mizzen, with the tails coming forward through a couple of turning blocks to swivel cams just shy of the cockpit lockers where I can reach them from either side.  

13 hours ago, Paul356 said:

I'll jump in and say that, yes, the main sheet is the one you want to have readily available and in your hand, especially in gusty conditions.  My CS17 uses the same swivel-cams as Dave's lapwing, and they are well worth it.  So, when sailing in any sort of breeze, generally the downwind end is in its cam and the upwind end is in my forward hand, tiller in my rearward hand.  You can leave the mizzen cleated, and if there is a gust, it will head you up into the wind, not knock you down.  But the main will try to knock you down in a gust, just as on a sloop, so that's the one you want to be able to ease or dump in a hurry.  If you can make your boat look like Dave's, you'll be in great shape!

I have a double ended sheet on my mizzen, with the tails coming forward through a couple of turning blocks to swivel cams just shy of the cockpit lockers where I can reach them from either side.  

Thanks Paul - sound advice.  If I can make a boat anything faintly resembling Dave's - I'll be delighted. I guess i'm going to have to be patient - no short cuts!

14 hours ago, Hirilonde said:

Tom and I may have located our swivel w/block & cam cleats slightly differently, but to the same end. I wanted the main sheet to lead from in front of me like I have been used to for many years. In a blow I like to keep the sheet in my hand or at least my lap.  Hence the double ended main sheet leading to 2 swivels on the mizzen thwart/partner, one on either side of the mizzen.  And in the center, just aft of the mizzen is the mizzen sheet. This picture shows the locations:

This is my 5th season, and will probably be my most sailed season of the 5.  I just retired last fall.

Woohoo, another Lapwing.  I look forward to your thread.

DSCN8161.JPG

Ah - a picture is a thousand words! Many thanks for your help guys...

• 2 weeks later...

Just looking at this, is it possible the picture has been mirror-imaged? It appears the control lines from the main come down the port side, but in other pictures, they come down the stbd side decks?

Amazing to see how fast your helper is growing! Can't wait to take my grandkids sailing too...

• 2 years later...

Dave- I am about to start a Lapwing build. Reading this thread it is obvious you have thought through the details of how you wanted your Lapwing to be outfitted, etc.  Now that you have sailed her for years, do you have any advice on dos and don’ts. Is there anything you would do differently? Are you happy with your reefing system? I going to build wooden masts and haven’t decided on track or sleeves for the sails. How long does it take you to get her ready to sail?  Any input appreciated.

Ken

I built the boat exactly to plans with only cosmetic changes and my sheets are rigged to swivel blocks/cam cleats on the center thwart.  I made birdsmouth masts and used bronze track.  I glassed nothing, but did a continous bronze chafe strip on the keel. I have yet to rig reefing lines.  I have reefed a couple times before setting sail. It is another thing to rig at the ramp. I think going to all the tedium of building wooden spars and then covering them in a luff sleeve is kind of a waste. I also used 2 full battens and 2 partials. Sail shape has always been my #1 concern. I can get her rigged in about 15 minutes at the ramp. I ordered 2 of the sheets of 6mil in Sapele instead of Okoume, for the deck and transom.  It is a nice touch for varnishing.

I wouldn't change anything I did.  Probably better to ask specific questions, either now, and /or as you get going.

Dave- Some  questions comes to mind regarding  construction of the masts.  This is my first go at building a birds mouth spar.  Looks pretty straight forward with a few bits that need clarification.  Not sure if blocking is necessary where the mast meets the deck.  Certainly blocking the head and butt of the masts makes sense but does it need the extra strength at the partners?  Did you cut a mortise into the head of the mast for a sheave for the halyards or?  Looking at the drawing for the mast construction, the taper for the main mast is obvious but I am not clear on the mizzen.  It shows 6’ of full diameter for the mainmast then a taper to the head.  Since the mizzen is shorter, I am inclined to use the same rate of taper which would mean the taper would start with less than the 6’ of full diameter of the main. I hope that makes sense. My guess is that it isn’t critical but would love any input.  Thanks in advance.

Might be time to start a thread on this project.

Ken

Hey Kenneee,

I built both masts the same, cept for length.  I believe they are 18 and 17 feet long. I did 6' of full diameter and then tapered to the end of both. I made them almost a foot long so that when I cut the ends it came out neat.  I only plugged the ends.  The only reason to block a hallow mast is for structural attachements like a gooseneck for a boom, or where spreaders join.  I did the birdsmouth cuts on my table saw and then tapered them. 1 1/4 tapered to 3/4 gives you a mast just a tad under 3".  I then made thin glass bushing at the butt and at the partner to remove the slop from my 3" ID tube or hole in thwart.