lapwing video

wwbaginski

Wojtek,

Late getting to your post.  Not sure I can give  you any precise answers to your questions, if that is what you want.  Lapwing rates favorable to other similar boats I have sailed over the years.  Like all of B&B cat ketches she is a pleasure to sail and easy handling is superior to sloops or catboats.  That video was made a few years ago and my memory is that the wind was variable as it usually is in that restricted area at that time of year.  It was high enough to promote an occasional plane but not sustained.  Actual speed of any sailboat is not a good reason for having one as it is all relative to how it feels to the people aboard.  In that respect I rate Lapwing equal to the CS15.  She is not really bigger and the extra inches in LOA was put in to make her look better with lapstrakes which can look awkward on a bluff bow.  Wetted surface is somewhat less than CS 15 because of the round hull shape.  Initial stability is slightly less for the same reason but still plenty adequate.  The main reason for choosing Lapwing over a CS is because you want lapstrake or somewhat prettier boat, as I did.  As a comparison to a Windmill, which I have lots of experience with, Lapwing is heavier, beamier, more stable and has about 15% less sail area.  Windmill is much faster and the penalty is that if you attempt to sail a Windmill in similar conditions with a laid back attitude, you will soon be swimming.

Sails are the same as the CS15.  CS17 is much larger in all respects.  All CS versions except EC22 might be considered undercanvassed compared to similar size racing boats.  For our daysailing use, this is a good thing and average speed suffers little from the rig or sail area.  When pressed to their limits all CS boats offer similar impression to the people aboard that faster racing boats do.  10 to 12 miles per hour feels very fast on any small sailboat and 6 MPH is plenty active for most of us.  Sailboats spend most of their time at less than that.  Lapwing is fast enough to give you the pleasure that you seek from a small sailboat.  When added to the other attributes, the entire CS and Lapwing series come out high on bang for buck (or sweat).