CS-15 Mk-3

Chick Ludwig

Whoa Chick, there is still a lot to do. I had already ruled out no foot well. The bunks that I drew in are 6'3" long but they could go all of the way back to the bulkhead. It appears that the small porta potti will fit under the bridge deck, see the green cube. It will have to be moved to use it. When I have someone on board our OB20, I move it to the cockpit at night to save the other person from being disturbed during nocturnal visits. 

It should be possible to fit the Zuki in a well but it will be a squeeze to stow it in the cockpit locker with the narrower beam.post-127-0-99205900-1424376077_thumb.jpg

Hi Graham. It appears that the berths go back under the cockpit seats to get the 6'-3". I would want for them to be entirely between the fwd. bulkhead and aft cabin bulkhead. Moving the aft bulkhead would be the way i would want it. I know that this would reduce the cockpit space, but that is fine with me. Or maybe I misunderstand? The w/c under the bridge deck is fine.

I hadn't intended for the outboard to be in a well like the PS-22. Just on the transom like my CS-20 MK-2. I wouldn't plan to stow it in a locker. I just leave it "hangin' in the breeze".

I notice that the transom has a forward rake. I assume that this is to add waterline length. It would be difficult to mount an outboard at this rake. I definitely don't want it on a bracket. I would prefer an aft raking transom, even at the expense of max. waterline.

Scott, guess I just like a challenge! And I like minimal boats. Besides, I'm limited on building space. Some other considerations too. If it turns out that Graham decides that a 15 just isn't practical, I'll go with the 17, but otherwise, it will be the 15.

Chick,

I am not a magician. I have to obey the laws of physics. I can't bring the bulkhead aft because that brings the water ballast tank aft as well as forcing the crew aft. The poor thing would be dragging it's tail like an abused dog. The WL is only 14', the overlapping of the bunks and cockpit is the only way I can make it work. 

The transom does rake forward slightly. Yes it does lengthen the WL but it gets some volume aft as well as encouraging the crew to be more forward. It is not much but we need to optimise everything to make a decent boat out of a teacup. All you need is a wedge on the transom to make the outboard work. 

Graham, I am shocked! I was under the impression that you could "bend" the laws of physics to your will. We certainly don't want for the poor thing would be "dragging it's tail like an abused dog". (Don't led Mandy hear you...) One of the great things about this boat is that the performance will be so much superior to anything else out there.

I can work with the transom ok, but am concerned about the berths. I don't want to sleep with my head in a hole and laying with my head in the bow just "don't seem right", but maybe I could get used to it. 

I'm guessing that if you extend the berth forward all the way to the bulkhead with the main tabernacle on it, that it would be so narrow as to be useless. What if the ballast tank stops short of the transom (looks like it already is) and extends forward into the cabin under the berth tops. It would mean having a split bulkhead with the forward end of the tank moved forward and the aft cabin bulkhead moved aft. I would loose some foot room in the cabin. Also complicate the build somewhat. As drawn, how wide is the forward end of the berth?

Ken. Been there-done that! Too much trouble for an old man solo-sailor to haul, raise masts on, rig and store. For me, smaller is better. Maybe a 17 if we can't work out the 15. I'm not ready to give up though. Graham says that he's "not a magician", but i'm a believer---I think he is!

Glad you are enjoying this, Matt. Gotta fill these cold winter days with something boaty. I like to throw challenges at the Master. Seems like he always pulls them off and exceeds my expectations. Hope this one isn't reaching too far. Time will tell.

Are you still working on the CS-17? How's it going?

chick,

The ballast does not run to the transom. It is only between bulkhead 3 and 4.

I had intended you to sleep head forward. Alan suggested that the bunk top be raised forward so that it would trim level when being used. This would also widen it slightly forward as well.

OK, so how wide does it look like it will be. Also, how wide is the hole through the aft cabin bulkhead into the "cavern"?

How about posting an interior plan and profile? Maybe with a "measured scale" (don't know what to call it, but a drawn scale that I can use to measure things.)

Glad you are enjoying this, Matt. Gotta fill these cold winter days with something boaty. I like to throw challenges at the Master. Seems like he always pulls them off and exceeds my expectations. Hope this one isn't reaching too far. Time will tell.

Are you still working on the CS-17? How's it going?

Yes, something boaty. That's why I am here!

CS-17 was launched over the summer though I have a list of things left to do a mile long. I am sure there will always be items on that list and that's ok...it has to be.

I had grandiose plans of escaping winter into SC for some sailing adventures this past weekend until I realized it was very much winter even down there so trip postponed.

Anyways, eagerly watching these new boat development threads.

I think I hear the fat lady singing a chorus of "Chick's Gonna Build a CS17 mk3". Grahamhsis illustrated the limitations of a CS15 version of tje mk3. Better to free him up to work on other projects, like the CS20 manual, and revising the tubing lengths for my BRS15. The Wizard is in demand!!! It was a nice design challenge, but …

Well Thrillsbe---could be. I will be calling Graham soon to get his opinion. If he feels that the 15 will not turn out to be a good boat that will perform well, or that there isn't enough interest in it to warrant going forward with the design, then a 17 it will become. Either way, it has been a fun discussion and design exercise.