CS15 with a lug yawl rig

meester

Any updates Bob? More pictures please. Sounds like a cool project. My S11 wears a strange looking Green and Brown tarp loose footed spritsail. I gave it a go for various reasons and it's been fun so far! I just bought a couple of real sailing blocks for it and doubled the cost of the entire rig - mast, sail, cordage included.

Matt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update -

After trying out several schemes for coamings, I settled on this simple version, just enough to deflect drips off of the deck.  I came up with that strange-looking cleat after thinking about ways to support the mast for trailering and as a guide for getting the mast in the fiberglass tube/step.  I think I need to make it a little taller so that the mast won't have a chance of rubbing against the tip of the bow while trailering.

Bob

post-4524-0-93820900-1476664420_thumb.jpgpost-4524-0-75839600-1476664446_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

An update on my CS 15 build.

After a long winter, primer and sanding, I got a couple coats of paint done on the interior this weekend.  The floor is still just epoxy - I'm waiting for my walnut shells.  I'm going to leave the bulkhead and hatch door bright just to show off that it is a wooden boat.   The square hole in the transom is for the bumkin 

Bob

20170416_195700.jpg.47c5f29ff3284cfd297e85d6951424ec.jpg

Meester-- I was re-reading your thread, and I realize now that I was a little harsh on the subject of balanced lug yawl rigs.  I'm sorry.  I had a bad experience with a balanced lug once-- not enough downhaul available, in a blow, and she wouldn't come about.  It put me off the rig.  I understand that they're the hot thing now.  But I still have nightmares about that day.  Still, I should have used a little restraint in my response.  Just make sure you have enough downhaul! Your boat is shaping up nicely.  I do love those coamings!

• 2 weeks later...

I put down some non-skid on the floor of my boat.  I used medium grit walnut shells available through HD.  5 lbs is plenty.

Lessons learned:

1. Fine grit probably would have been better.  Medium was uncomfortable on the skin, and I ended up sanding to flatten the texture enough that I can kneel on it without damage.  You can see the walnut peeking through the sanded-off paint in the picture below.   With medium grit, I found that it took several coats of paint to fill in between the grains to really lock them down so they wouldn't grind off under foot.  
  2. For the base layer paint/epoxy you put down before sprinkling the grit, this is a time when a thick layer works best.    I got it a little thin in places and the grit didn't stick as well, giving me thin spots.
  3. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum.   It pays to be a neat freak.  I pulled off masking tape while my base layer of epoxy was still green.  Later coats of paint lifted stray grains and glued them down in the channels I had masked off.  I had to scrape them off and I have to do an extra touch-up paint session.

20170430_124433.jpg.34c8d0ce2d9dad97f882d4fa1e625818.jpg

20170430_124630.jpg.2ab165708b8d58872d0ee4c5fa0e3cb9.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting closer!   I dry fitted my rub rails, and I really like the way they look.  They're white oak with linseed oil finish.  I still need to tidy up the ends.   Can anybody point me to a nice way to finish off the bow?  Next is hardware installation and rigging.

20170509_154531.jpg.b0e8f84a330e0ee4d0b9f004bc18924f.jpg

20170509_154543.jpg.d814a4997d3119ece3545b3ee14ac06d.jpg

20170509_163523.jpg.dbcedb742f36ac5ae593f34e3856bfa3.jpg

Probably not what you had in mind, but I stopped my rub rails short of the bow and just tapered them off.  The bow will have to fend for itself, I guess, literally.  The main reason was that I had 16-foot stock and the boat is 17 feet long.  Looks fine, but I think you're going for a different look.  Radius  your outside corners?

first coat varnish1.jpg

On 10/6/2016 at 9:17 PM, Wile E. Coyote said:

Any updates Bob? More pictures please. Sounds like a cool project. My S11 wears a strange looking Green and Brown tarp loose footed spritsail. I gave it a go for various reasons and it's been fun so far! I just bought a couple of real sailing blocks for it and doubled the cost of the entire rig - mast, sail, cordage included.

Matt

How does it point upwind? How is it to reef? 

HI Paul,  Thanks for the tapered end idea.  I think that might look nice near the stern.   I'd like to cover the tip of the bow because, um, it's an ugly spot where the glassing went a little wonky.

Hi Walt, My CS15 hasn't been splashed yet, but I made a polytarp sail for my puddle duck, and it pointed upwind pretty well.  I used the sail design from Mick Storer's OzDuck plans. It certainly was good enough to go upwind without being frustrating.   Mick's reallysimplesails.com website has a ton of info on lug rigging.  Ross Lillistone has a few youtube videos detailing his lug rig and reefing that are worth checking out.  Hope this helps.

Bob

Splash!

Had a great first sail today, and I'm still grinning.   I went to a local reservoir for the first sail, and I wanted to test out how much of the rigging I could do on the water, so I launched with just the main mast up.  I rowed out a ways and then rigged the rudder and raised the mizzen on its mast.  Pushed out the boomkin and lashed down the inboard end.   Then the exciting part, when I went forward to raise the main.  I thought things were going to be very tippy with my weight up forward, but it turned to be not exciting at all.  Main sail goes up, downhaul tight, and we're off!

I'm very happy and relieved to report that I got the sail balance right.  The helm is neutral, with slight weather helm when heeling.  Graham's rudder design is amazing.  It takes such a light touch, it's as if there was power steering.  I think that the sail plan points well and tacks through a respectable angle, but I won't swear by it.  The reservoir I went to has crazy winds that change direction by the second.    A couple of times I tacked through 90 deg and ended on the same tack!

If I had it to do over again, I think I'd skip the Anderson bailer.  It let more water in than it took out.   With the bailer open,  there were two little fountains of water coming in along weld seams on the aft edge.  Maybe it's defective.

I tried out heaving to, which means flattening out the mizzen with a tight snotter to keep it from flogging and sheeting it in.  The boat points into the wind.  I take the main sail down, and as I get moving just a little bit backwards, I put the tiller over to rest against the mizzen mast.    The boat settles down with the bow about 30 deg off the wind and it goes very slowly backwards.  The breeze was pretty light at that point (5 kt?).  It'll be fun to test again in stronger wind.

Gotta go.  Time to roast some hot dogs!

Bob

Edited by meester
more info

Congratulations!  Sounds like a great first day out.

Andersen bailers normally behave a bit better than that.  In my experience there would be a small amount of water flowing in when the boat was going slow but the water would get sucked out nicely when moving faster, so I would usually only open the bailer when I was sailing fast enough to take spray on board.