Winter "cruise" in SW Florida ?

Docpal

Joe,

No I wasn't. Since most of the WCTSS live in the area they obviously know about the winged warriors of Flamingo, and they don't schedule any events down there. A friend came along for the trip and we were both trying out video cameras we had bought recently. He has a steady hand,but my videos require a shot of Dramamine before watching them...

Tom, I have been storing Petunia down at the  Charlotte RV storage yard ( 150 Rio Villa Dr, Punta Gorda,FL. 941-575-7473). attach two shots to show you what it looks like.

Docpal,

Thanks very much for the details - pics look good.

What design is that boat? Looks familiar - really like the cabin style ;)

Again, thanks,

TomH

Tom,

Graham and I refer to her as a "Mark 1.5"  CS 17.....

I think I've got the best of both worlds, a B & B hull with a classic cabin !

The lee helm was probably caused by my latest experiment: I finally got a removable motor mount from Duckworks for my 2.5 HP Suzuki outboard  ( http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/motor/mount/index.htm).Bracket is beautifully built, but it's too close to the transom to allow the motor to tilt all the way up so I was sailing with about 5 inches of the motor dragging in the water. I have seen how Graham has 'notched' the transom on Carlita and was thinking about a similar approach but since I'm not in a place where I have a shop to do so, I thought I'd try to find a bracket that would work before doing surgery. And it's not easy determining the effect of a bracket without actually installing it on the boat.I like the removable part as well since almost ALL of the "tilt up" brackets are clunky.

Saw THIS one recently and while pricey (at this point in the game my credit card is numb anyway...) https://www.pyacht.com/cgi-bin/pagegen.pl?pr+ed951010, it looks like it would do the job, but it might place the motor controls TOO far aft.

I'd be curious to see how others are mounting similar motors on THEIR boats.... :blink:

Thrillsbe,

I agree, and since I only have a few more 'events' on the Winter calendar- Cayo Costa, and Cedar Key, I may just wait until I trailer her home and do a transom notch to accommodate the existing setup. I really like the Duckworks mount as it is removable,light, and strong...

Tom,

Graham and I refer to her as a "Mark 1.5"  CS 17.....

I think I've got the best of both worlds, a B & B hull with a classic cabin !.

Docpal,

Kudos to who ever designed the cabin... would love to see more, do you have a blog or pics anywhere of the interior and the cockpit?

Cabin style is best by far of all the ones I've seen - but I'm a throwback to the old boats for style (but not the construction ;) ).

Notch the transom and be done with it.

Cheers,

TomH

Tom,

Thanks for the kudos, I don't mind admitting that the journey from the image in my mind to the actual cabin shape was not as easy as I'd anticipated.... I also added a bunch of features which are obviously over kill for a boat of this size, but so far they have all been successful.

As odd as it may sound I have literally thousands of pix of the building process, but I haven't taken the time to take any of her since I launched! I'm still really not 'finished"as I have built hand rails, toe rails, etc. which will get installed on my next trip down to Florida.  I kept meaning to start a blog, and it hasn't happened, yet..... Here are a few early shots of the cabin,and cockpit. I'll have to make it a point  to catch up on my documentation when I see her again...

post-539-0-55012000-1425263118_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-90128200-1425263140_thumb.jpg

Thank you gentlemen.

Chick, here is a shot of the ports you mentioned. The product I used to 'bronze is called 'Sculpt Nouveau',  ( http://www.sculptnouveau.com/) It's a water based polymer originally created by the US Navy to coat tin roofs! They have a couple of different formulas, but I've had the best luck using their "B"coating topped with a few coats of their "C"formula. It's relatively cheap, and a little goes a long way. You can even machine buff the 'C' formula when it dries (minutes later...) ! I've had it outdoors for almost 6 months now, and the ports have actually started to show a patina....

here are some pix showing the ports from their start as plywood, to the installation 'jig' I used to insure they'd all be the same height, and then the bronzed parts before/after installation. This coating is SO good I used to use it to coat styrofoam statues I'd carve on a CNC machine for exterior installations on the outside of buildings (last picture....).

post-539-0-79123400-1425309971_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-40853300-1425309986_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-45281600-1425310013_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-68101000-1425310030_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-17080100-1425310040_thumb.jpg