Tangerine build

ecdcj7

There have been many posts about the Tangerine and no pics. I started this on September 9, working in the evenings. I've got about about 100 hours in it so far, but they've been very lazy hours. I suspect that if I hadn't been talking with my neighbors and or reworking things that I didn't quite like, I'd have about 60 hours in it.

The frames are Baltic Birch, stringers are Western Red Cedar, gunnels and thwarts are Eastern White Cedar. The yoke came from a piece of wood that my Dad got from his Grandfather, then I've had since my Dad died a few years ago. After running it through the planer, then taking it to an old guy that runs the hardwoods store, we've determined that it's Cuban Mahogany and at least 80 years old. I'll post a close up of it later.

It's been a fun build so far. I've learned a lot and have had a chance to use tools that my Great Grandfather used in building furniture before WW1.

The weight, so far, is at 37lbs.

post-4492-0-29164000-1414863804_thumb.jpg

The yoke came from a piece of wood that my Dad got from his Grandfather, then I've had since my Dad died a few years ago. After running it through the planer, then taking it to an old guy that runs the hardwoods store, we've determined that it's Cuban Mahogany and at least 80 years old. I'll post a close up of it later.

Swietenia mahogani, one of the 3 genuine Mahoganies.  It hasn't been commercially available for years.  Seems like a great place to use it.  Pretty boat too!

I think I'm only going to clear it then do highlights in royal blue. Royal blue is my oldest daughter's favorite color.

I'm planning on building 3 other boats and let the rest of my kids pick the color, but I think white looks sharp and draws attention to the woodwork.

• 3 weeks later...