Outboard recommendations for BRS17

robertnc28

Looking for 4-stroke outboard recommendations for a BRS17. Bought Scot's BRS17, planning to use it around Beaufort NC like to visit Cape Lookout, also pleasure sailing and some fishing. Would like outboard as backup when wind dies or just isn't there. Long time small boat sailer, 1st time outboard user. Looking for light weight, very quiet outboard. Looking for recommendations on outboard and how to purchase. Guessing Craigslist may not prove useful due to small size and 4stroke requirement. Thoughts?

I was happy with my 2.5 hp Suzuki 4-stroke on my CS-20 Mk-2. It is quieter than the Honda, but not as quiet as 2-strokes that I've had in the past. It does have plenty of power. 

I've noticed several small 4-strokes on Craigs List in my area since moving here (Asheville, NC area).

I bought mine from Porta Bote International. They seem to have a good price. http://www.porta-bote.com/suzuki

I would suggest you need to think long and hard as to what you think the most use you will be giving the boat.  Will it be mostly motoring for pleasure or fishing, i.e. wanting to get somewhere  OR will it be mostly for sailing and used as an auxiliary for short slow distances when no wind or a channel.

I have had a 2 HP Honda 4 stroke since I launched my CS 17 in 2007 and I have been mostly happy with its performance.  I actually hate to use it because I am a sailor at heart.  The only problems I have with it related to fuel and lack of use.  Of course if you want to mostly motor I would go with something significantly bigger.  Just remember not to hang too much weight on transom if you plan to sail and motor at the same time.

My 2 cents worth

dale

thanks, looks like I'll have to add a place to mount the motor. With the seat continuing all the way around the back of the cockpit, the support for the rudder and the vertical bulkhead for the seat, I thinking I don't need to add re-enforcement to the stern if I use a small motor (2.5hp) and tie the mount into these areas.

Here is my 2.5 hp 'Zuki on my CS-20 Mk-2.

post-1823-0-45379000-1415282427_thumb.jpg  The motor is a short shaft. I notched the transom to get it low enough, and to give it room to rotate for reverse.

post-1823-0-80827000-1415282396_thumb.jpg  Here it is completed. It worked well.

The only problem was with the mizzen sheet occasionally fouling on the lower unit when the motor was tilted up for sailing. The motor could have been stored in a locker, but for my kind of sailing, I wanted it "ready to go". Besides, it was really awkward trying to lift it off of the transom and stash it in a locker, especially when the boat is rocking in the waves.

Hi, my BRS 17 is powered if necessary with very popular short shaft  aircooled  Honda 2.3 hp. Most probably I would skip an ngine at all to use oars only, but my every year Gdansk bay cruise includes 7 km long passage along the commercial harbour and shipyard channel to get to the sea, and it is said one has to use motor there. I have no problem with mizzen sheet interfering  because the motor is moved out behind the transom thanks to the adjustable bracket, and blocks which the sheet ropes run through are mounted on the rear deck an inch or two  in front of the aft transom  instead on the top of it. Overall view on the photo attached to  "sail shapeing" post  (several posts ago on this forum).