Out board motor for Marissa ?!?

Lotus

Hi all,

I have almost completed my Marissa build and I'm thinking to buy an outboard . I am thinking of  a Suzuki DF60A  because it is the lightest in its category (230 lbs , 104 kg ),  3 cylinder , fuel injection and very compact.

Dose any one have this setup on his boat ? 

What speeds can she do ?

What propeller pitch is the best ?

What mpg ?

I am very curious how Marissa will perform with this engine !

Any help, comments and experiences are really appreciated  

Regards,

Lotus

post-4121-0-90915100-1414392755_thumb.jpg

I highly recommend asking Graham for advice on this matter.  If I remember correctly he was limited to 20hp for the Woodenboat design contest but after consultation with engineers at the manufacturer (Yamaha?) he determined that the 40hp engine was actually more fuel efficient than the 20hp engine.  I think it had to do with the fuel system (fuel injected vs carburetted?) but I can't remember for sure.  At any rate, regardless of what my faulty memory serves up, if you ask Graham what engine he prefers for the original Marissa I think you'll do well to follow suit.  He ended up with a more powerful engine that was more economical, and how often does that happen? ;)

On a boat with Marissa's design, speed will be determined by power and weight so I would expect 32kts with 60hp.  Lightly built and loaded to minimum displacement she will go faster.  You may need to make some tests to find the best prop diameter and pitch since the best calculated one may not be available from stock.  My guess is 13.5 to 14" dia. at 17" pitch for general use.

MPG depends entirely on displacement and your throttle but Graham's data gives a clue.