My firefly is done :)

lisian

My Firefly is done :) Took it out for a paddle today and love it. Excellent displacement in the water I was drifting through 2" of water and did not touch the sand.

My only disappointment is that I am unable to get it up on to our 4WD by myself, so I won't be able to take it out whenever I like, I need hubby to help me. We will have to work out a roller system or something so that I will be able to.

Here are a few pics of my finished boat that my daughter has named 'Yakity Yak'.

Lisa.

yak2.jpg

yak1.jpg

yak4.jpg

yak3.jpg

I need a better phone, apparently, or a real camera, or something. Beautiful photos, as is your norm...

Did you try putting one end of the boat up on the car at a time? I used to do that with our 20 foot canoe. Lift bow up first, then pivot stern up next.

Or, you can make yourself a loading stool/bench. Pack it along with you. It could double as a place to sit and change shoes. just some thoughts.

Nice work building what I think is a pretty boat...

Congratulations on a fine build Lisa - even the paddles look good and the GP style certainly goes well with the baidarka.

With regard to the loading, a single extension bar can be a good option that allows 1 end at a time to be lifted as mentioned by Action Tiger.

Next build though do yourself a favour and use either western red cedar or paulownia for the stringers - I suspect you would make it 4 or 5 kg lighter that way.

How does it perform in terms of ease of paddling, turning and stability?