Side decks

Chas231

I'm working on the side decks, and have a few questions:

The side decks arc 2" from 9" wide fwd and 7" aft. The 2" arc is made with a batten. Can this arc be made from the sheer break forward to the windshield, or should I try to make the arc back to the aft pilothouse bulkhead, aft of the sheer break?  Or would the difference be so small as not to matter?

I need to trim the aft pilothouse bulkheads for the side decks, and want to make sure before cutting them. They should be cut plumb with the edge of the side decks, right?

Thanks. 

Chuck

post-4417-0-07508700-1412267950_thumb.jpg

Chuck,

On my side decks (BJ 25.5), one end of the batten touched  the windshield outer edge where it meets the foredeck.  The other end touched the aft pilot house bulkhead edge after it was trimmed to its prescribed shape.  Midway between these two points I sprung the batten out the prescribed two inches and drew a line against the batten.  But the sheer line line break creates a complication with scribing this line at the break.   I used a laser to put down a line at the break.  I don't claim this is the best way to create side deck arc but I'm happy with the results.  

The pilothouse sides on my boat tilt in the prescribed 2" as measured from the side deck forward of the sheer line break.  The  windshield frame and the aft outer pilot house bulkhead edges should be cut to accomplish this tilt in.   Consequently, I don't believe you want to cut the pilot house aft bulkheads "plum" with the side decks.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave 

Dave has the idea. The arc of the inside of the side deck (Coaming) does not necessarily match the topside sheer arc.  The purpose of the arc in the pilothouse side as the inward tilt of 2" is put there to improve the visual aspect of the large surface.  The inward tilt prevents the pilothouse from looking top heavy.  The arc of the Pilothouse does not necessarily match the arc of the cockpit deck although that would be OK.