Appalachian mess-about

Chick Ludwig

Honestly, I think oldest son is ready for a few road trips. And, if a guy had his little cuddly sailboat done, a small little tow vehicle ain't gonna eat too much gas, and it's only gas and food, because, of course you sleep in the boat on the way. See the sights.

What's a few weeks to last the rest of a lifetime, eh? Meet some friends face to face.

I'm really only kinda half joking. It COULD happen. I'd love to finger pick some bluegrass over there...

Fingers crossed. I'm working hard on the boat again, so it should be done... :)

Peace,

Robert

Yeah, we can sing Micheal Row the Boat Ashore, Puff the Magic Dragon, etc. and Tom the Toad, of course.  

I also met Peter Yarrow last year.  He came to Tryon, NC, and did a concert.  He's on the left, I'm on the right in this photo.  It was awesome.  But he's a tenor, and I'm a baritone.  No matter, we "might-could" (a common Southern Appalachian contraction) do a sing-along.  But Robert, if that there uke is mean, don't bring it.  Better yet, take it to an anger management class.  We like to be nice and neighborly around here, just like on Maybury RFD, don't you know?

post-3770-0-38563000-1476567645_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-43063000-1476567787_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Don,

Dang it, you are funny. At least, my kind of funny.

I just do some dumb strum, and some banjo style finger picking, because we got the high string on top, too, dontcha know. Still, it's the playing what's mean, like real nasty and ear melting goodness.

The uke is as happy and goofy as the ding dong what strums it. :)

Be warned, though, the closest I can come to singing is a low, moaning, wail, somewhat akin to what a Bigfoot might make if caught in a painful trap. I'll just accompany the chorus instrumentally.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to find that great of a hat, though...

Peace,

Robert

post-4050-0-32704900-1476569111_thumb.jpg

Me too!  Actually, I'm not a Bluegrass picker.  I can do a little Clawhammer, but not BG.   Mostly I'm a sing-along guy.  Besides, you start picking bluegrass down here around a body of water, and the Yankees get nervous.  LOL

OH!  You're right, Robert, that is one mean uke!

Funny story.  I know the first line or two of Dueling Banjos.  After that, forget it-- I'm no bluegrass picker.  But the first two lines was enough to make most guitar players turn white with panic.  It was great fun.  Once, however, a guitar-player calmly looked back at me, and gave the reply.  Oh shit.  He mopped the floors with me!  I learned my lesson.  

That was when I lived in Michigan.  Down in the Carolinas, I don't dare try that trick.  The skill level of the players around here is humbling.

Maybe I should ask around the folk in the Lake Hartwell area.  Maybe there's a jam we could crash...

• 4 months later...

Now that the EC2017 is in the history books, maybe we can think about some more laid back events-- such as the Southern Appalachian Messabout for 2017?  We will be gathering at Sadlers Creek State Park near Anderson, SC the weekend of April 22nd.  Some will be camping, some will be sleeping on their boats, and others just dropping in for the day.  Most campers will be in Loop #3, and at least one if us in loop #1.  The main gathering will be at the day use area on Saturday.  We'll invade the local BBQ joint Saturday evening.  The campfire will be in operation at my site (#55), both Friday and Saturday evening, weather permitting.  I'm even offering a beans and franks potluck Friday night.  Make your own camping reservations.  If you are going to anchor out overnight, please tell the ranger, so (s)he doesn't worry about cars that are left overnight in the launch site parking lot.  And please let Chick or me know if you plan to attend.

• 2 weeks later...

Chick and Don,

Will there be anything going on Sunday Morning other than packing up to head home?  I've been looking forward to ApMAB for a while, but I have a wedding to attend Saturday.  I do wish couples would do a better job of scheduling hitches, but I digress.  

Or perhaps Friday afternoon would be better than Sunday morning?

I would certainly hate to miss an opportunity to check out Local Honey and Summer Breeze.  

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve, I would guess that most folks would be heading home Sunday. Don will be there earlier in the week, so He'll be there Friday, as will at least a couple of other guys. I think I'll come down Thursday, too. My plan is to stay over Sunday night and leave Monday morning. I'm sure Don will chime in here with his plan. Maybe some of the other folks will, too.