Appalachian mess-about

Chick Ludwig

Steve, 

The photos are to share please take what you like.  It took them to give me ideas so I could keep building.   Chick's boat is as pretty up close as it is across the pond.  That is no small feat.  Summer Breeze is certainly the standard of measure. 

Regards 

• 3 weeks later...

With the memories of this year's Southern Appalachian Mess-About fresh in our minds, let me ask you all a few questions.

1. I think we had a good time, and want to do this again next year, right?

2. Same location, or different? Don Rausch and I checked out a campground nearby, run by the Corps of Engineers. The campsites were gorgeous, but the shoreline was all lined with steel-caged rip-rap. (Gotta love the CoE.) We also considered gathering near the boat launch (at the park where we were this year). But it looks like the geese also like this area, as evidenced by their "calling cards ".

3. It has been suggested that we get the word out better by having it mentioned in publications like Duckworks' magazine and the Messing About in Boats magazine. Other p.r. suggestions?

4. Any other suggestions, to make next year bigger and better?

2. Same location, or different? Don Rausch and I checked out a campground nearby, run by the Corps of Engineers. The campsites were gorgeous, but the shoreline was all lined with steel-caged rip-rap. (Gotta love the CoE.) We also considered gathering near the boat launch (at the park where we were this year). But it looks like the geese also like this area, as evidenced by their "calling cards ".

Well, the Appalachians extend all the way to Maine.  Maybe move to the NH lakes area?  :P

1. Yes. 

2. Location was fine. Shoreline without rip-rap or rocks is important. The beach where we gathered was ok. It was protected from the wind from any direction. The one near the ramp was pretty exposed. I think the geese would share the shore with us. We could look at other locations. What happened to possibly having it at Mitchell's boat club? 

3. Seems like a good idea.

4. Ban the rain and storms next time!

Thanks for organizing this, Don. A couple more questions:

1. Should we keep the name "Southern Appalachian Messabout"? Someone called it "Mountain Messabout"---even if it really isn't actually in the mountains. Other name suggestions? "Hillbilly Messabout"?

2. It was really nice of you and the wife making dinner Friday night. I vote to "let" ya do it again, but with many more folks, it could get expensive. How 'bout we all chip in a couple of bucks? Saturday night at the Bar-b-q was great---even though some of us were soaked!

3. How was the date for everyone? Any other date suggestions from you folks that didn't come this year? Would a later date get us away from potential cold fronts?

Two things from me.

First is, you all could always come over here, we can Messabout in real mountains, have a Mile High Mess (yes, Virginia, we got lakes at 5200 feet and higher...). Seems boring to me. Plus, we may not have any water next year...

Second is, I am actually building a boat I could drag out there and camp in, there and along the way. Building it right now, in fact. If I hadn't had it in the library, I probably would have gone for one of the mkIII cs boats, but... It's got a little cuddly cabin, of sorts, sort of a boat with a permanent tent. I SHOULD be able to make it out there, if the logistics work, which they have a nasty way of doing.

I will definitely bring one uke for some bluegrass fun. It's okay to play Blue Moon or Rocky Top there, right? :)

Dave:  Y'all kin do whatever yinz wants.  That's one reason we called it the Southern Appalachian Mess-About; cuz some Yankee mighta got some high-flautin' idees.  I think it's a good idea for you to have one in the Northeast, too.  Go for it!  (I am originally from Michigan, and have only lived in NC for 8 years, btw.)

Chick:  I think the word "hillbilly" carries too many negative connotations.  It's sort of like the Confederate flag-- it means different things to different people, not all good.   Thanks for the compliment on the Friday night meal.  It was just some burger and some beans, so the cost was low-- our treat!

Robert:  Y'all might have the "real" mountains (that is up for debate, however), but we have the oldest mountains (geological fact).  If you want to land in a real bed prior to the main event, you are welcome to occupy our guest bedroom.

Chick and I will target the same time-frame for next year (late-April), unless someone has another suggestion.   OK?

Don, when you get to the top of Mt. Whitney with me, you can tell me if you think it's a real mountain or not. :) It's not a long drive... Shoot, for that matter we could just hop over to Madera peak, it's only 10,500 feet. While we're there, we could go hang off the giant granite monoliths... :) I hope y'all know I'm just being goofy.

Really, though, I was thinking of this little alpine jewel we have with The Puff. Crazy how the wind can blow so hard when there's no air to breathe!

By the by, I snore, but I bake some fine, fine bread. And I would just LOVE tooling around in the lovely mountains out there. I am mesmerized by the hardwood forests...

And I am genuinely touched by your offer.

Dave (Hirlonde):  I see the problem.  On this forum, the word "Southern" was omitted.  On our Facebook page, we do make a geographical distinction.

Robert (Snoring Tiger):  Not to worry, snoring is considered an art form in these parts.  I am familiar with young, "alpine" mountains.  I have driven to the peak of Mt. Evans (el. 14,260'), taken a gondola to near the top of the Dachstein in Austria (el. 9,826'.  In photo, upper right.).  The Rocky Mts. cheat, because they're "built" on a mile-high foundation.  These are all "real" mountains, but they are youngsters.  The Appalachian range is their great grandfather.  They are mature, and not concerned with showing off, like the youngsters do.  

post-3770-0-94596400-1464344701_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Don, I find you hilarious.

Even if your mountains are old and worn out. :)

I am serious about two things, though. Everyone should see our granite monoliths (Half Dome, El Capitan) and our giant trees. If you are of the inclination, it is also neat to go from Death Valley to Mt Whitney. Lowest point to highest point (in contiguous states, sorry Denali) in about 100 miles.

There is actually a foot race called The Badwater, which travels from the town of Badwater to the trailhead at Mt Whitney. 155 miles across the desert on foot!

This is not my type of foot race. :)

Robert:  I thought LA was the low point.  Sorry, bad midwestern joke.  We plan to do an out west trip in 2018 & 9, including Yosemite.  We do have our granite monoliths as well.  Locally, Looking Glass Mt. and Table Rock come to mind.  Oh, and they have that Stone Mt. thing down in GA, too.  They're still around, cuz they are the parts that are hardest to wear out.  LOL

Chick:  I think an Austrian mess-about would be an excellent idea.  Shall we cross in your boat or mine?

Let's get back to mess-about talk.  I hope that next year we have more powerboats.  

• 4 months later...

Chick and I spent some time yesterday looking at possible venues for next years Southern Appalachian Mess-About.  (SAMA)  This year's campground still came in as top choice.  So, we'll be at Sadler's Creek State Park near Anderson, SC on Lake Hartwell.  We'll be there the weekend of April 21-23, 2017.  We'll be in Loop #3 again.  Tenters please note that there are tent-friendly sites on the inside of the loop.  (The sites on the outside of the loop have coarse gravel.)  Please make your reservations soon, to get a choice spot.  I'll be at site #55, just like last year.  (Write me, if you want to know which ones they are.)  Make your reservations directly with the state:  http://southcarolinaparks.reserveamerica.com/

Thanks Don! Some of us plan to anchor out to spend the night(s) on our boats. We hope to have a campfire on the beach. Don promises he'll entertain us with some good-old campfire songs on his banjo. bring your voices and whatever musical instruments you have. Do y'all wanna go together somewhere and eat? There is a good bar-b-q place nearby. We'll work out a schedule as we get closer. Any suggestions? Activities?

C'mon Robert. We'd LOVE to have you! It's only a few miles...

Don is kinda like Peter Yarrow. Kinda looks and talks like him. He actually met him earlier this year! I think he'd play us some PP&M songs if we ask real nicely! This one would be appropriate...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQK1SE47HCk