Show us the latest picture of your Bluejacket

jkeenan

Tom,

It is the plan to be in Georgetown with the boat.  It will not be finished all the way, but I hope it to be presentable.  The outside is pretty much done.  Inside I still have a lot to do.  I figure I can get most of the woodwork done before Georgetown but not all the electrickery and plumbing.

Egbert

• 1 month later...

The previous post of that great looking Bluejacket has prompted me to post a couple from this past summer.attachicon.gif1450119_10205070058047497_5937312801409591610_n.jpgattachicon.gif10156056_10205070061007571_3847041919874563061_n.jpg

Thanks Jim,  

Looks like you are few steps further down the road and are actually using and enjoying your boat.  I had a total of half an hour on the water with the boat.  A test run and to and from the boat ramp at Georgetown that's it.  It covered more distance on the highway than the water.

Egbert

• Like 1

Egbert,

During the long days you were putting in getting your boat ready for the Georgetown show, you probably asked "What have I gotten myself into by registering for the show".

Ruminate not, your efforts were greatly appreciated by people such as me who enjoyed and learned from your impeccable cabinet work and innovations.

Each time I see a Bluejacket's pleasing traditional lines and reflect on her performance specs, I again marvel at the majesty of Tom's design.

During the show when I was in the vincinity of your boat, a quick glance found that you always had visitors on board. Wish I knew how many folks are now inspired to build a Bluejacket after their visit to yours.

My only complaint is, that after visiting your boat, I was left admonishing myself for not incorporating features such as a tongue and groove pilot house overhead. Would of, should of, could of...

Thanks Dave,

I had the advantage of seeing various Bluejacket boats at different Georgetown shows.  Also the Internet blogs/pictures and talking to the different owner and builders proved a great help .  Not all the features are unique for my boat.  I did copy a few things here and there.

One thing I regret that I couldn't get to work was moving the head to the port side behind the dinette.  I would have made a space under the dinette seat to slide the toilet under when not in use.  One person visiting my boat had the exact same idea.  It would have given a bigger space for using it as a shower.

Looks like it was a great turnout at the show.  I didn't keep a counter how many people I talked to or visited my boat.  And Yes, Tom is to thank for a great design.  I tried different things with the interior but still came back to Tom's layout.

When waiting at the boat ramp I took a little run up and down the river to test the different propeller I got since the first test run.  Now the motor went up to 5200 rpm with a speed of approx 23-24 mph.  

Egbert

Those are great shots that you added.  And hinesight is always better for everyone that has built a boat. This is why few boat builders stop at one when they are done. ;<}}  The advantage too is that you will have a boat to use as you build your next one. Your wife will not pester you either to finish the build if you have one to use. So you can take your time and build in those things that you glossed over or forgot on the first boat.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

She floats! First sea trial yesterday. Happy with the boat's attitude and power. Still a lot of work to be done, but it's a good feeling knowing she'll rest on top of the water!

Chuck

How cool is that Chuck?  Looking good.  How about some more photos and performance data.

Hellooooooooooo out there! Anybody home??

I'm looking for a boat in Florida. I'd like to see one up close and personal and talk to someone who has used a blue jacket in the gulf of Mexico .

Here is a blog of Henry and Dianne Hassell's Great Loop cruise in their Bluejacket 28 which included the Gulf.

https://www.facebook.com/vesseldede  

• 4 months later...

Bluejacket 28 number11 emerges from it's cocoon between rain showers. Engine installation next week then a few last minutes projects before the long anticipated cruise. A thousand thanks to all of those kind souls who shared their experiences and insights on these pages.post-5351-0-84814000-1464571905_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

A boat isn't finished until it sinks.

This is my sick way of saying it is never really done.  This is especially true when the builder will become the owner.  So the real question is:  "When is it ready to launch and use?"  And the answer to that is:  "About twice is long after you started than you thought."  It's a good thing we like the building part.  At the end I just keep reminding myself that the final work deserves the same attention everything else got, and it will be worth it.

From looking at that picture, I bet you find it was worth it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After a few years researching, over a year building a workshop and more than three years building a boat I declare it finished

Included in that time is almost a year telling "I'm almost done".  We had planned to get the boat in the water last Sunday but the weather was not cooperating at all. Rain all day and also today for the Fourth.  Hopefully by next weekend we get it in the water.

Some pictures are here.   https://www.flickr.com/photos/ejds33/

Egbert

28015205181_684e53c40f_c.jpg28015225581_a262d09e8f_c.jpg27812761540_4f0566ed89_c.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, Egbert, just Wow! 

To most people, your boat was finished over a year ago.  It looks really great but the real surprise is mostly under the skin with all your systems.  I'd love to see a systems description/list as well as your wiring diagram(s). 

A finishing touch for me would be an accurate weight and a CG.  Performance data is hopefully coming up too.  Gotta have these before the fat lady comes on stage.