2014 Mess-about

LennieG

I'd also like to add my thanks to Graham,Carla,Beth, and Alan for their hospitality, and assistance during the last week. This year's weather was pretty spectacular, and the boats that showed up were all great!

A number of people asked me to post the contact info for the water based coating I used to "bronze"my ports and running lights. It's called "Sculpt Nouveau" http://www.sculptnouveau.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=42&category=6. I've been using it for years to coat foam statues, and they have been exposed to Northern weather for over ten years with no damage  to the finish, In fact the coating will actually start to show a patina similar to the real metals. The ports are actually 3/8 " plywood, and the "glass" is 3/16" polycarbonate. The running light shown was actually a stamped metal chrome fixture (Sea Dog brand) which I roughed up with some 180 grit, and then applied the Sculpt Nouveau over it. They have a wide assortment of metallic finishes and patinas that will make anything look like metal...

post-539-0-56858300-1414453714_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks everyone who was able to make it. Those of us who couldn't can only see pictures, but they provide a lot of information. I want to build a CS20.3 and without the messabout, and the pictures, I'd still be waiting. I called Carla today, and as soon as a kit and components are available, I'll be starting a new build.

I previously built a Spindrift 11N, and I think the experience will help a lot, but I am sure I will have a lot of questions.

Take Care,

Steve

• Like 1

It was a fantastic weekend and I also thank Graham, Carla, Alan and everyone. I learned a ton and enjoyed being around this great group of people!

#1. Graham held a workshop on sailing the Cat Ketch.

# 2 Alan sailing the new CS15 Amazing Grace which he just finished.

# 3. Cool shot of Graham's OB20, and Alan I believe sailing in background

post-3404-0-01170500-1414459172_thumb.jpg

post-3404-0-21547800-1414459197_thumb.jpg

post-3404-0-93008000-1414459223_thumb.jpg

Graham, Carla and Beth.

It was a pleasure meeting you and everyone else. We had a fantastic time and look forward to attending next years Mess-About. 

Thank you very much,

David and Aggie   

Pictures from the Mess-About

I want to disagree with Doug a little bit. The tanks can't completely fill by themselves because the cockpit has to be above the water enough to self drain. Consequently you have to fill the last couple of inches with a bailer. For the sailing shots the tanks were not full. This allows the water to run down hill as the boat heels lessening the righting moment. The boat was still more stiff than the mk1. Doug did fill the tank for the capsize test.

The gusts were a good deal more than 15. You can see that Alan in the CS15 taking the video was sailing two-up and had reefed both sails. The boat felt very stable, I believe that we could have pushed her a lot further. If you look at the rudder angle, you will see that even at a large angle of heel that the tiller was only a couple degrees to weather unless I was bearing away. I thought that the boat was very well balanced and well mannered and had a good turn of speed. Any prudent sailor would have reefed in these conditions.

After cleaning up some rigging issues I think that Doug has a heck of  boat, I really appreciate him bringing the boat for me to test.