Marissa (eco 18) went to Europe !! photos of build

Lotus

Thanks Mike.

Paint is apoxy based clear coat with pigment added to have the colour scheme I wanted .Finally I sprayed 2 coats of semi gloss clear coat to have that matt look ( and hiding some imperfections too !)

Uninformatively in this small island we do not find all the materials needed so we have to improvise . Besides that this kind of boat building is not common in Malta so there is no demand for such products ! All boats here are build from  GRP ( fibreglass) in a mould.  It was very lucky to find epoxy resin because we have only couple of  suppliers here !

I tried this system on the first boat I build about 5 years ago and it is still very good looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Miyot. In fact the compass is not yet fitted. I just put it in the place where I would like it to be. How can I know if the radio will effect its magnetic field  ? In that place it is marking  exactly compared with an other compass ( away from it )

Actually I've had the GPS effect the compass quite a lot as well.  Usually the compass or device manufacturer will have a compass safe distance in their instruction sheet.  You must put the compass where you want it to go with no devices or metal objects any where close to it.   Then you can observe the compass dial while moving each device slowly to the position you would like it in.   If the dial compass dial moves even slightly you are to close with that device.  Usually 2 - 3 feet for a radio with a speaker in it.  In some cases you can get  closer.  I personally like no deviation in the compass to start with.   

Another big compass deflector is an EPIRB.  4 feet can be to close. 

Hi Mike, how is your project  doing ?

I painted the sole with 50% gloss clear lacure ( semi mat )  using a cotton roller . It worked fine on my previous boat.

Still waiting for the new outboard to arrive because our local agent only stocks 1 outboard from each model and use it as showroom display . I made it clear that I wanted the unit un opened and sealed as it arrives from Japan , so I have to wait for about 6 weeks !!

Hi Miyot, you are right about the compass .  When I moved the handpice of the radio , the compass needle slightly moves ! The problem is that there is some magnetic field all over the top of the console and I have no place else to put the compass ! Dont know what I gona do !

Good one CL.

I have got a new laptop because the other one have died after 6 years of non stop ! I cant understand why when I upload photos taken with my mobile phone they all will show sideways !! Mast be some kind of setting that I havent noticed yet .  Sory for that  :(  but you can always rotate your screen  :P  :D

Lotus-

Boat looks great!

I had the orientation problem with my iPhone and iPad and learned you must have the "home" button on the right when you take the picture, and that solved it for me. The photos would be upright in my photo library, then get reversed when posted.