Marissa 18 Eco Build ~ PHOTOS~

MikeLTour61

There's a place in Greenville called Contour South Inc.  Foam is all they deal with.  I told the guy what I was doing and he got me the right stuff.

Address: 603 S Old Piedmont Hwy, Greenville, SC 29611
    Phone: (864) 422-0207

I can't recall the exact type of foam it was but it wasn't cheap:  1 piece of 1" and 1 of 2" = $159.00 BUT it's easy to work on the bandsaw and 'fuel-proof'  The sheets were 48" by about 115"... something like that.  Enough to do the boat with a little left to make floaties or something.

About boating with gas in the bilge, yeah, I was VERY lucky!  ... and stupid.   You're right, gas does not burn, the vapors do. I had vapor detectors in the bilge (Xintex system) and they never went off so I was probably below the LEL.  That's not to say there wasn't a pocket of highly flammable fumes somewhere down there.  I was very careful not to use any electrical devices that were not ignition protected and ran home with the engine cover open but... yeah, stupid.

• Like 1

Latest update: Cockpit sole is installed.  The console was too short or the hole in the sole was too big.. either way, Graham saw it coming and it's now fixed. Unfortunately, I think my hopes to have the fuel tank removable have been dashed.

Lots of other stuff going on too.  I've been working on the console and will install on the boat within a week or two.

I discovered a great deal on a chartplotter at West Marine, of all places.  I'm going to pick that up today.

I made the shape for the gas filler without too much issue.  I'll install in the console tonight and post more pics soon.

post-4101-0-87790700-1425385974_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-43778300-1425386025_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-24929100-1425386199_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-43482900-1425386237_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-88890500-1425386307_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-37579100-1425386352_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike ,

your boat is taking shape and the work looks great ! Keep it up .

Ive got the same problem and my fuel tank cant be removed. This is because I placed the console about 1.5ft forward. If something goes wrong  we have to cut part of the cockpit sole and then re glass it ! Luckily those type of fuel tanks doesnt give that much trouble 

Thanks for including me in your group Chick.  I wish I had more time so I could get more involved.  Between work and life, I don't have too much time left over.  It would be great to have you down to check out my build sometime.  Just let me know when you and the Dons are ready.

Lotus, I would have thought you'd be too busy fishing to write any more.  Thanks for all your input and help.  Enjoy Piranha and the beautiful area you get to boat in!

Mike

Mid-week update:  I got fuel filler shape installed in the console last night.  I think this is a significant step because as far as I know, that's the last thing to do before installing the console in the boat.  That's my plan this weekend... permanently install the console.  I also plan to get the aft, side and foredecks installed.

I have to make a new foredeck since my Marrissa is a little longer than it's supposed to be (due to my inexperience) and that length is all forward of frame 1

A couple of pics:

post-4101-0-55997300-1425467596_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-04532800-1425467615_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-86634000-1425467635_thumb.jpg

An interesting note about fuel fillers. I used to build center console production boats. The U.S.C.G. compliance inspector came around the shop regularly to be sure I was complying with the rules. He told me that a fuel fill or vent could not be located where fuel could spill into the boat. Then he said that they were not enforcing the rule at that time. This was about 5 years ago. I don't know the current status of this, but just thought I'd "throw it out there" for discussion. It is a safety issue.

I thought it was strange that the fuel fill was inside the boat but that's the design.  I had thought about moving it out to the gunwale while I was thinking about making her a dual-console instead of a cc but I just don't have the experience necessary to go off the reservation.  

I know one thing, I'll be paying attention at the gas pump, that's for sure!  Hopefully, with the 40 hp Yamaha, I'll only have to fill up a couple of times/season.

I don't see the gas filler on Lotus' boat.  I wonder where he put it....  I'll ask.

Mike I put the gas filler on the left hand side of the console ( its inside a special designed hatch ) You can notice the small hatch under the vhf antenna .The gas breather is on the right hand side , a small plastic fitting between the console air vent and the extinguisher 

post-4121-0-77594800-1425481072_thumb.jpg

post-4121-0-49668200-1425481099_thumb.jpg

Got a few things done over the weekend, mostly on the center console.  Finally placed it in the boat to verify it will fit, etc.. pulled it back out to finish work on it.  I think I'll complete console glassing and fairing with it out of the boat since it's pretty tight with it installed.

I replaced the temporary framing of the console with the permanent yellow pine frame.

I put a fire extinguisher box on the side of the port side of the console.  I don't know where most people are putting them but I like mine to be very handy. 

I finally installed the aft decks installed and got the undersides of the side decks epoxied.  I'll install those this week, I think. 

I've decided to put the battery, charger and switch in the port aft locker.  Having the battery sitting inches above my gas tank and inches below the fuel filler makes me nervous.  I would have liked to put it on the starboard side but the fuel filter will be there too.  I want to make maintenance as easy as possible so the port side seemed like the best spot. 

Russell's boat has what looks like mahogany installed on his dash, instrument panel, front seat and side deck steps.  I like the look so I went out and got 30 b.f. of some real nice stuff.  That should be plenty to do what I want with some left over.  I'm not sure if I'll replace the plywood dash with 3/4" thick solid mahogany or if I should mill the mahogany down to 1/2" and have the 3/8" ply underneath.  I can't go thinner than 1/2" on the mahogany because I plan to use 1/4" dowels for joining the separate boards.

Russell, if you're listening, do you have any thoughts?  Did you fill the grain prior to finishing?  It looks nice and shiny.

post-4101-0-40864900-1425908853_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-84901500-1425908896_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-57060900-1425908955_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-03648500-1425909196_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-86179400-1425909243_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since my last update but I've been making good progress.

Cockpit deck has been glassed.  Fore, side and aft decks have been installed and glassed.  As I mentioned earlier, I had to re-make the foredeck pieces due to the angle of my stem being a little low. So far the glassed areas that are still accessible have only one or two coats of epoxy on them.  I'll be having an epoxy party one of these days... maybe get some help.  Things would go a lot quicker if I didn't have to stop and mix a batch every 15 minutes

I got some 5/4 white oak to use on for the rub rails but at 1" it's very hard to bend. Even at 3/4 x 1 it's pretty bad.  I don't want to steam bend so I think I'll end up laminating the bendy parts like I did on the inwhale.

Center console progressing very well.  I have most of the holes cut for the components I'll be installing.  I'm using 4 oz. glass on it instead of the 10 oz.  I think it will be fine since there's not really any flexing or stress in that area.  I'll use 10 oz. tape on the console to deck fillet though. 

I think I'll hold off on the mahogany dash until next winter.  I want to get out and enjoy it this summer and don't want to rush it.  It will also give me a chance to decide if I like the dashboard layout.

It's really starting to look like a boat, I think.  I still have lots to do but I'll bet we'll be boating by July 4th.... Labor day at the latest.

post-4101-0-87550700-1427200599_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-82744200-1427200716_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-44374500-1427200805_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-61751800-1427200931_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-43182600-1427200989_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-45743000-1427201010_thumb.jpg

post-4101-0-86525400-1427201059_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your comments!  I thought about doing a dual console with this boat but decided against it since this is the first boat I have built and I didn't have any boatbuilding experience when I started.  I think a dual console would work well with this boat except the bow might be a little high... not sure about that yet.

Mike, your Marissa is looking great! I did use Mahogany for the dash and front seat of the console. I did fill the grain with Sandusky's Chris Craft stain/filler. I really like the finish it leaves, it is very easy to use, just wipe on wait a bit and wipe off. Used Minwax varnish for 2 or 4 coats. The other wood is Brazilian Cherry ( I was told) added a little teak oil to it.

Thanks for the info Russell!

I'm starting work on the electrical system and I'm wondering what size cable the 40 hp Yamaha starter will need.  I read in a couple of places where where 4 AWG will suffice but I don't think that's correct... seems small. 

Thanks, in advance

Mike, you will have to check with your dealer. The size of wire depends on the load and the length of the run. The fact that you will have the start battery aft means that the run will be short enough that you will not need to up size the wire. For instance on my 30 hp Suzuki, they asked for a #8 wire. Because my battery was at the forward end of the consol, I had to run a #4 back to a terminal block and take a #8 into the engine. Why I did not take a #4 wire right into the motor? There is not enough room for wire bigger than they recommend.